Kids paying housekeeping?

*Emsie*

Gold Member
Do any of you have older children living at home that make a contribution to the housekeeping and how do you decide on an amount? Or do any of you pay housekeeping and how was the amount decided?

My daughter is 20 and just about to finish college she hasn't a proper permanant job as yet but does have a regular income from some work she does on a cover basis. Its not that I particularly need the money but I think she shuold learn to start thinking about the cost of living so to speak so was thinking of getting her to pay a nominal amount

I totally agree with your sentiment but remember feeling really angry & resentful when my mum broached the subject with me when I left school. I don't think it lasted long but I only really appreciated it when I was in the same boat with my daughter.

I think it's also difficult to decide on the 'nominal' amount seen as it's only 'cover' work at the moment. That said, she probably won't even give a thought to filling the bath, turning on the washing machine and using a tumble/hair drier until she has to pay her own bills - kids just don't, do they? Therefore, unless she's putting something away for a deposit on her own place, I would suggest perhaps 1/3 of her wages wouldn't be too much to ask for (gas/elec/water/groceries). That'll still leave her with sufficient for nights out with mates and buying her clothes - even if she has to save up for a week or two for a particular item.

Hope this helps.

I'm currently working as a supply teacher however over the past 2 years I have been lucky enough to get 6 month stints in 2 separate schools. As yet my mum has not asked for any housekeeping from me and we have discussed it before but she doesn't seem to be fussed on the idea, as my granny never made her contribute.

In saying that since I started SW I no longer use the food in the house and buy all of my own so I guess that is some form of 'contribution' however if I stopped I'm pretty sure she wouldn't make me pay anything towards the house.

I would have no problem in paying housekeeping but by not paying it's allowing me to save money and it will allow me to move out sooner.

I've paid 'board' to my mam ever since I started working. It's only £10 a week, but it's my contribution :)

I paid a third to my parents from when I started working at 16 (just a Saturday sales assistant whilst a college). I didn't resent it even at the time. I bounced back home a few short times between uni and jobs and the like and it was always a third.

15 years on, we just bought a house around Christmas, and she gave back all the money I'd ever paid to buy a bed, sofa and washing machine and fridge freezer....

When I was at home 10-11 years, I went to college full time & worked part time, and I paid £25 per week board, when I finished college & started working full time (though still minimum wage) I paid £40 per week! Feel a bit bad done to now after reading this thread lol x

I did actually wonder about putting the money aside for her and then giving back to her at a later date but thats not really teaching her to save for herself I suppose?

Don't tell her you are saving it up for her just put it a side and then it will be a lovely surprise. My younger sister still lives at home due to the non-existent teaching jobs around - but when she get supply work she gives money to mum towards her keep. I know my mum has it put aside for when she gets a permanent job and is looking to move out so she can hopefully buy a house.
I moved out at 18 and went to uni and never moved back but paid my own way and was lucky enough to get jobs (doing medicine had to have some benefit after 5yr at uni).

My son has paid 'rent' since he started work full time at 16 £200 a month, he is now 22 and still pays that but I have decided that its going up as of next month. He has completed his apprentaship in that time been made redundent and sarted a new job which pays twice as much as he started off at.
He also gives me £100 a month which I put in a savings account for him, he's off to Egypt in 2 weeks and has managed to pay for that and some spending money because of that.

My daughter however went to college so paid no rent, when she left and got a job before going to uni we didn't charge her rent as she needed to save to pay for uni (managed to save £4000 in 9 months).
However as she is not entitled to a full NHS bursery we now pay her rent on her flat whist she is at uni (£400 a month).

So my sons rent does seem very good for him as I also buy food and do his washing which daughter doesn't.

*Emsie* said:
I did actually wonder about putting the money aside for her and then giving back to her at a later date but thats not really teaching her to save for herself I suppose?

It did teach me to budget for living on my own, and I saved for the deposit for the house, including budgeting for secondhand furniture. It was a lovely surprise and unexpected and means that the money wasn't just frittered away on what my 16year old self spent the rest of it on (probably more cheap orange make up!)

My daughter is 20 and at uni, she gives me £150 a month (which she thinks is extortionate) however I don't live with my partner hence have a single income, I would charge her rent even if I was comfortably off as I think its is a good lesson.

The £150 a month is a drop in the ocean compared to the £100 a week rent she would pay for halls, together with food, bills etc......

My daughter does work part-time in a pub and receives the max student loan and grant (incidentally I was at uni for 3 yrs recently and she gets the same as I got when I had a house to run and 2 children at home at that time, shocking !!!)

If she was working full-time I would ask for £200 however if it was a casual job I would ask for a quarter of her weekly wage.

I paid rent from the age of 16, even when I was at college & working part time. Whilst I wouldn't suggest being that harsh, i do think she should be paying something, I paid £20 a week 15 years ago.

Frustration, my little brother, who has a full time job pays £20 a week now!

It was a long time ago, when students got grants (remember those?) not loans. I lived at home when I was at college and didn't pay anything in rent or food costs to my parents then. (Although I did cook the Sunday lunch for everyone every week and bought and paid for the food that I cooked for that meal.) We didn't have a washing machine and I washed all my own clothes by hand and ironed them (sheets, etc., went to the laundry).

I worked on Friday nights and Saturdays and in college holidays and that paid for clothes and holidays.

When I started work I was actually really excited and proud to be paying something into the household expenses. Can't remember how much it was (the figures would be irrelevant after all this time anyway) but it was a percentage of my take-home pay and if my pay went up so did my contribution.

I'm 21 and live it home. When I got a part time job I paid very little. Rose to £100 a month when i got my proper full time job and now it's £130 (inflation or what!!) a bit of car insurance is included in that though

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

When I lived at home, again we are going back... 17 years...eek... now, I earned about 440 a month for full time work. I had to pay my mum £240 of that, plus £10 a week for food, plus a share of the phone bill. And then travel to work on top of that. I got Family Credit for my son, but that barely covered the childcare expenses, I worked shifts and FC at the time did not incorporate a payment for child care. By the time I paid my bus fares to work and home via the childminders, I had pence left.

I'm 26 and I pay my mum money coz I have lived away from home 3 times and I appreciate rent and keeping a home is horrificly expensive. Lots of reasons why I came home at the time but I couldn't pay her nothing it wouldn't be fair

I paid a third to my parents from when I started working at 16 (just a Saturday sales assistant whilst a college). I didn't resent it even at the time. I bounced back home a few short times between uni and jobs and the like and it was always a third.

15 years on, we just bought a house around Christmas, and she gave back all the money I'd ever paid to buy a bed, sofa and washing machine and fridge freezer....

I absolutely love this idea. If you're charging rent on principle rather than necessity it's a wonderful thing to be able to do for your kids. I hope I remember it when mine grow up!

My mum doesn't ask me to pay anything but I have given her £15 a week since I started working and I buy my own shopping as well, she offered to buy me driving lessons the other day so I am really grateful for that. :) It does annoy me a lot when my brother is a complete lecher and won't help out with anything because he wants to save his money for more ''important'' things.

When i first started working (I earned about £40/week at a placement while doing an NVQ) and i had to give my parents a tenner a week, when I got a full time proper job it became £100/month.

I never begrudged it, my parents arent particularly well off and it was nice to be able to help out. And still, even when I only had 30 a week to spend on myself I always managed to pay for a night out in town each week, and usually a new top or something. Don't know how I did it!!!

Back