Kids with problems at school

I'm a teacher and our school sets up either IEPs or PSPs which are linked to behaviour. You could ask the school to look at setting one of these up which will set targets for him to meet. Shirleen's idea of rewarding at home is also really good. If achool can work in conjunction with home so that he is praised and rewarded consistently in both places, it can make a difference. Has he been put on report so all teachers can comment on what he's like in each lesson on a daily basis?

These might be a consideration for you. I hope things improve.

Hi Emsie,

Almost everything I wanted to say has already been covered by the other posts as I read through the thread, but I just wanted to add my support for you and your son. I work in a school, not as a teacher though, but I just wanted to say that should he be excluded at any time it isn't the end of the world - we have kids who have been excluded who go on to flourish at school and in life later on. I'm sure the school are aware that you are doing everything you can as a caring and responsible mum. We can see the difference between those who don't give a fig about their child's behaviour, and those who are trying their best.

:bighug:

*Emsie* said:
Thanks for the replies.
It feels as though the school are implying that we are to blame and maybe there is more we could do but I am at a loss to what at the moment.
He made what is considered a racist remark last week, it is not what he hears at home and he is not racist he is a 10 year old child trying to get effect from his behaviours.

Exactly! Kids act up it's their nature!
If it's any consolation we get calls from teachers implying well actually not implying ASKING if there's a problem at home as my son has lost his temper, when I point out that I feel he is under too much pressure from the school to do well in the accelerated programme they backtrack so fast I can smell rubber!
We've decided that one more phone call and we're taking him out of the programme and he can do his exams next year!
Perhaps you can discuss with him changing schools...that might well get him to open up!

Hi, have you tried National Association for Gifted Children or NAGC? Hubby & I were tearing our hair out with DS, til we were told that he might be what they call academically gifted, and we were told about NAGC. Talk about fantastic! They have lots of factsheets which frankly read like DS's "instruction manual". Finally, everything fell into place. Give their website a try, admittedly you have to join (a fee to do so) to access some of the factsheets, but I believe that enough are free to establish if your child is indeed gifted, and to get some answers.

Of course this may not be the case, but just thought I'd offer my experiences!

Hi, have you tried National Association for Gifted Children or NAGC? Hubby & I were tearing our hair out with DS, til we were told that he might be what they call academically gifted, and we were told about NAGC. Talk about fantastic! They have lots of factsheets which frankly read like DS's "instruction manual". Finally, everything fell into place. Give their website a try, admittedly you have to join (a fee to do so) to access some of the factsheets, but I believe that enough are free to establish if your child is indeed gifted, and to get some answers.

Of course this may not be the case, but just thought I'd offer my experiences!

Once you had discovered this how did this help with your child and how did you proceed with it in school etc?

Back