Killed off my metabolic rate

Sharon1970

Hi All

In 2007 I did LL and lost 4 stone dropping from 16stone 10 to 12 stone 10. I then came off the plan as I couldn't stick to it anymore. Gradually weight went back on until I was 14stone 10 this was the trigger for me to do something so last year I messed with Cambridge although never stuck to it properly.

I have weighed myself this morning and I am not back up at 15 stone 10. The thing is I have been ill for a week and not really eating much but I seemed to have put on 6 lbs in a week! I have noticed this over the last year that I haven't really got to eat much and weight just piles on. We moved house in October and it was a really stressful time, I was hardly eating hair fallling out, not sleeping all due to stress but the weight piled on, one stone in 4 weeks.

My question is does following a VLCD wreck your metabolism and have I done untold damage? I was intending to rejoin the plan this week but I am now worried about the long term effects. Wanted to hear if anyone has had similar experiences.

My question is does following a VLCD wreck your metabolism and have I done untold damage? I was intending to rejoin the plan this week but I am now worried about the long term effects. Wanted to hear if anyone has had similar experiences.

No, a VLCD wont wreck your metabolism. Any diet will lower your metabolism but goes back again when we increase food up to normal levels.

But, I know when I'm ill I put on water weight. It can be quite scary can't it.

Looking at research on the internet general consensus of opinion seems to be that whilst all "diet" can affect metabolic rate vlcd seems to be quite radical and that because the body is in "starvation mode" it does radically affect your metabolism. What I wanted to know is if and how long it takes for it to return to normal and what helps to get it to return? Mine has been on the floor for over a year and it doesnt seem to matter what I do weight just piles on. I have had my thyroid tested so I know its not that.

Hi,

I think the important thing is to do the steps up after a VLCD. If any of us eats carbs while they're sick we all put a lot of weight on (or so it seems) most water as KD said.

It is very important to slowly do the steps up when moving from VLCD to normal food so your metabolism can gradually adjust to the larger amount of food and carbs.

Not sure how long it'll take but I don't see anything about doing steps up, route to management... etc. It look to me like, forgive me if I'm wrong, you started eating again from 1 day on another? This will be bad for your metabolism, the steps up are there for a reason; to slowly get things going again.

An aunt of mine did CD and lost a lot of weight but she had to come off CD immediately after having health issues; she also regained some of her weight because she started eating regularly again while her body was still in VLCD-mode (so to say).

Hope to help,

xx Lostris

Looking at research on the internet general consensus of opinion seems to be that whilst all "diet" can affect metabolic rate vlcd seems to be quite radical and that because the body is in "starvation mode" it does radically affect your metabolism.

It depends on what type of VLCD you do. If it's your own plan, then you will probably go into starvation mode, but the balance with diets such as CD, LL, LT stop this happening.

I did not refeed properly after LL so I can see how this has caused a problem. My issue now is if I restart Cambridge follow it through properly with refeeding back up the plans will I correct the damage I have already done?

I did not refeed properly after LL so I can see how this has caused a problem. My issue now is if I restart Cambridge follow it through properly with refeeding back up the plans will I correct the damage I have already done?

You can do it other ways, but that will be the easiest.

This thread has just showed me how important it is to do the maintenance steps.

This thread has just showed me how important it is to do the maintenance steps.

The most important part in my opinion xx

Its definately a valuable lesson which I have now learned the hard way and its going to make it ten times harder this time around!

Interesting thread Sharon.

Good luck with your re-start.

It does show how important it is not to treat a VLCD as a 'quick fix' but to use the time to re-educate oneself re eating and our relationship with food, I had a wake up call this Christmas with the way I reverted back to eating and piled weight back on!

I am not going to let that happen again...

Back