Kim's diary of being a new mum

Hey hun..

So sorry to read poor Rebecca has been so poorly.. I can't imagine how frightening that was for you, her being unresponsive..
She's a beautiful little lady.. Love the little pics you post :)
Sucks being back at work but it really does make you cherish the time you do have with her...
But hopefully we'll win the EuroLotto soon and we can give up work :) xxx

Well Rebecca had her first night in her own room.... Well I say night more like evening as she was awake and in bed with me at 1am!!! The child is getting worse. I try to settle her in her cot and the little pickle just laughs at me, pulls her dummy out and throws it and rolls around like a loon! Either way she didn't get woken up when we went to bed so that's an improvement at least I got 2hrs sleep before she woke up. I'm glad we've made the move to put her in her own room I think she will eventually sleep better.

Does anyone still dream feed their baby at night? Rebecca seems to be waking for food... or at least won't settle unless I give her a bottle. I was just contemplating trying to dream feed her when we go to bed to see if she goes any longer before waking.

Rebecca is going to have her first night away from me tonight, she's staying with my sister as I have a spa day booked with my other sister and auntie and in going to have to battle with the rush hour traffic so probably easier for my sister to have Rebecca overnight. It's going to be very weird not having her but I'm so looking forward to my first unbroken nights sleep in what feels like forever!

Well Rebecca had her first night in her own room.... Well I say night more like evening as she was awake and in bed with me at 1am!!! The child is getting worse. I try to settle her in her cot and the little pickle just laughs at me, pulls her dummy out and throws it and rolls around like a loon! Either way she didn't get woken up when we went to bed so that's an improvement at least I got 2hrs sleep before she woke up. I'm glad we've made the move to put her in her own room I think she will eventually sleep better. Does anyone still dream feed their baby at night? Rebecca seems to be waking for food... or at least won't settle unless I give her a bottle. I was just contemplating trying to dream feed her when we go to bed to see if she goes any longer before waking. Rebecca is going to have her first night away from me tonight, she's staying with my sister as I have a spa day booked with my other sister and auntie and in going to have to battle with the rush hour traffic so probably easier for my sister to have Rebecca overnight. It's going to be very weird not having her but I'm so looking forward to my first unbroken nights sleep in what feels like forever!

Ooh a baby free night, wow. I'm still not brave enough to leave oliver with someone else at night which means no unbroken sleep for me. Does Rebecca cry or just want to play in the night? Oliver tends to cry but then after a while he switches over to thinking it's play time. Most frustrating.
We used to do a dream feed but then he started waking as soon as we put him in his cot so didn't work. We may give it a try again.
Do you put Rebecca in her cot awake or do you feed her to sleep?
Wish there was an easy answer to getting these babies to sleep!
Have a lovely spa time x

Ooh a baby free night, wow. I'm still not brave enough to leave oliver with someone else at night which means no unbroken sleep for me. Does Rebecca cry or just want to play in the night? Oliver tends to cry but then after a while he switches over to thinking it's play time. Most frustrating.
We used to do a dream feed but then he started waking as soon as we put him in his cot so didn't work. We may give it a try again.
Do you put Rebecca in her cot awake or do you feed her to sleep?
Wish there was an easy answer to getting these babies to sleep!
Have a lovely spa time x

Just got back from my spa day and it was really lovely. Rebecca had great fun at her aunties with her crazy cousin. She slept relatively well for her and didn't mind auntie cuddles in the night instead of mummy cuddles so that's good news. Means i can share the sleepless nights around ;) haha.

My niece (almost 2) is thoroughly confused now Rebecca has gone home and keeps going to the travel cot and saying "Becbec, oh no!" Lol!
Penny I think I'm going to try dream feeding Rebecca tonight to see if that helps her stay asleep in the night (although if im truthful I'm kind of wanting her to wake up so I can have a snuggle I've missed my baby so much!)

Rebecca crys out normally if she wants her dummy back and wants to go back to sleep... normally I can get her back to sleep these times but she does have a tenancy to wake up once or twice wanting to play.... hence she ends up in bed with me because that's the only way I can get her to go back to bed.

We put Rebecca to bed asleep after a feed, there's no way she will send herself to sleep she just wakes up and plays then eventually cried hysterically because we've abandoned her!

How is Oliver doing with sleep? Does he wake for food or just to play? Xxx

Just got back from my spa day and it was really lovely. Rebecca had great fun at her aunties with her crazy cousin. She slept relatively well for her and didn't mind auntie cuddles in the night instead of mummy cuddles so that's good news. Means i can share the sleepless nights around ;) haha. My niece (almost 2) is thoroughly confused now Rebecca has gone home and keeps going to the travel cot and saying "Becbec, oh no!" Lol! Penny I think I'm going to try dream feeding Rebecca tonight to see if that helps her stay asleep in the night (although if im truthful I'm kind of wanting her to wake up so I can have a snuggle I've missed my baby so much!) Rebecca crys out normally if she wants her dummy back and wants to go back to sleep... normally I can get her back to sleep these times but she does have a tenancy to wake up once or twice wanting to play.... hence she ends up in bed with me because that's the only way I can get her to go back to bed. We put Rebecca to bed asleep after a feed, there's no way she will send herself to sleep she just wakes up and plays then eventually cried hysterically because we've abandoned her! How is Oliver doing with sleep? Does he wake for food or just to play? Xxx

Glad you had a lovely time and that your sister survived with Rebecca. How cute of your niece.

Oliver sounds like Rebecca. He won't settle himself and just gets hysterical. We tend to put him down before he is fast asleep, but definitely on the way. However he will often wake as we put him down. If we bring him in bed awake, he wants to play so that doesn't work. He will often wake and we have one chance to get him back to sleep. If we put him back and he wakes up then he will often then think it's play time so like last night I was up from 3.20 to 4.50 because he was wide awake :(

He has been in bed since 7ish. Since 9 he has been making a few cries but only one or two every 5 mins so haven't gone in but he is obviously have disturbed sleep.

He had 7oz milk before he wet to bed (we offered him 9oz but left 2o). Will probably give him another bottle if he wakes 11ish but then try not to give him anymore because we don't want him waking for milk. Milk used to send him asleep but it doesn't now and he gets enough so don't really want to give him much more.

Tough work this sleep malarkey. Totally underestimated it.

Hope things improve for you xx

Glad you had a lovely time :) we've yet to leave Cole overnight and I'm scared! Lol. The only people who would really have him are my dad and step mum and my dad doesn't sleep well because of his illnesses so it's not fair for them to have him when he gets up at 6.30am. My mum would have him but tbh I don't think I'd settle if he went there. Handy knowing that Rebecca will settle with someone other than you so you can have some nights off ;)

Hope you're doing ok xx

Awww my poor little girl is poorly again.... Seriously seems to get over one thing and we get something else. Shes full of cold (red watery eyes and snot galore!) and im not sure but could be hand foot and mouth (we only have a rash on her feet and a couple of blister like spots on her hand so far). Poor thing has had a temperature since last night so is well dosed up on calpol and baby nurofen. She won't eat anything so we are back to lots of milk. Let's not even talk about sleep we certainly haven't had much of that apart from when get temp goes up then I can't sleep for worrying about how high it is and if it's coming down. She looks so sad :( shes trying to be happy when the calpol is working but she's struggling unless I'm touching her.

I was meant to get my hair cut today which I had to cancel and we've got a jam packed weekend which I think will all get cancelled or Mike will have to go alone especially if it is hand foot and mouth as it's contagious for a week I read! I'm hoping its just a cold as I'm meant to be looking after my niece for my sister next week!

Hope you girls are all ok xxx

Aww what a shame :-( sounds like it might be hand, foot and mouth. Cold milk and yogurt were good for Thomas when he had it.
Horrible when they're ill xx

Aww what a shame :-( sounds like it might be hand, foot and mouth. Cold milk and yogurt were good for Thomas when he had it. Horrible when they're ill xx

Oh no hun
Yes I agree that yogurt was good for oliver. We were in hibernation for nearly 2 weeks. Good thing was the fever passed in about 36 hours. Hugs x

Thanks girls, we ended up going to a&e (called 111 and he said because of the rash etc they wanted her checked) and it's a viral infection that's caused the rash (it had pretty much spread to most other parts of her body).

We had a very broken nights sleep with some being on the sofa together as she was very restless (thankfully we got a new sofa thats 1. Very comfy and 2. Wide enough for us to sleep side by side without her being right on the edge). Temp was up and down during the night but thankfully this morning seems to be right down (poor child im freezing her now lol) so fingers crossed we've got rid of the fever now. Shes still coldy and got a bad cough but her eyes are brighter and shes playing happily sitting at my feet which is an improvement on yesterday! Xxx

Poor Rebecca, she's really gone through it, bless her. Fingers crossed now that the fever is gone she's feeling better xxx

Well the a&e doctor didn't know anything because this is definitely hand foot and mouth poor baby is covered in blisters on her hands, quite a few round her mouth and get feet are covered in the rash with a few blisters :(

Well the a&e doctor didn't know anything because this is definitely hand foot and mouth poor baby is covered in blisters on her hands, quite a few round her mouth and get feet are covered in the rash with a few blisters :(

Aww poor thing. The first Dr we saw didn't know anything. So irritating. If her throat is ulcerated then she can get antibiotics. That's what oliver had. Worth taking Rebecca to walk in Dr? X

Aww poor thing. The first Dr we saw didn't know anything. So irritating. If her throat is ulcerated then she can get antibiotics. That's what oliver had. Worth taking Rebecca to walk in Dr? X

She seems better in herself today and although not eating solids shes still happily drinking her milk so ill probably try and get her an appointment with the gp tomorrow. The a&e dr checked her throat and said it was clear so hopefully shes not suffering too much with her throat. If that changes ill get her seen again. Xxx

She seems better in herself today and although not eating solids shes still happily drinking her milk so ill probably try and get her an appointment with the gp tomorrow. The a&e dr checked her throat and said it was clear so hopefully shes not suffering too much with her throat. If that changes ill get her seen again. Xxx

I really hope she continues to improve. So horrible when they are poorly. Hugs x

Well my monkey has finally eaten something so it's a sign she's feeling brighter :) still got lots of blisters on her little hands and a fair few round her mouth and just very rashy feet... Not actual blisters yet. Shes gone down in her cot tonight which is also an improvement. How long do the blisters take before they are all out does anyone know? Xx

Glad she's eating now.
I think it was almost 2 weeks before I was comfortable taking Thomas out again, even then they were red and took a while to fade.

Oh man 2 weeks inside is going to be killer! I'm already going stir crazy and we are only 4 days in! Haha. I havent a clue where she got it I can only think from the baby sensory session we went to on Tuesday...unsure how long it takes to come out. My nieces and nephews all seem to be ok we are just staying away. Xx

Back