Kind of O/T - piggies into pork

a good bashing! that's the answer! thanks :D

[

Let me get this straight though... i would NOT, under ANY circumstances eat my children!!!

what not even on toast ???? lol i gathered from tyhe cheap chicken thread there are alot of us on here that feel very strongly abpout the meat industry, i hope that everything goes ok for you Becki it just goes to show that it is do able and the more of us start moving away from the cheap stuff the more the super markets will realise it's unnacceptable to treat animals this w\ay.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, I've been vegetarian for about 15yrs. I don't think I could do that if I was a meat eater, but good on you!! Someone's looking out for the poor piggies atleast! :) x

I've collected pigs all my life in the form of teddies and ornaments etc so love them! I've always wanted a pet but think i would be able to eat it too. If it is going to die eventually why keep it as just a pet when you can get all of that yummy food! Fair play to you :)

i dont think i could do what you are doing cos i know however hard i tried i would get attatched to them and i'm not sure i would be able to eat the meat atferwards-kinda like eating someone you know

However i do have the huggest respect for you and the reasons behind it-we buy free range or organic wherever we can, and eat alot more vegetarian food than we used to because we dont want to support the meat industry as it stands.

So i completely applaud you, i just need to eat meat thats one step removed if you know what i mean

Hi hun -

Well, I commend you for doing this as I agree, it is better to know where the meat came from and know it was done in the nicest of all ways. So well done for being able to do this.

Having said that, I am not sure I could myself. I was a veggie for 7 years because I believed that if I couldn't kill it myself, I shouldn't eat it. But, the diet didn't suit me at all despite pumping self with proteins from other sources and I became very think (oh how ironic) and anemic. I gave up after 7 years of feeling poop. Now I live in a rural area full of small local farms, eating meat isn't as upsetting as it's all locally bred, raised and slaughtered (even some of the supermarket stuff is local). But it DOES cost a bomb to buy 'good' meat at supermarkets.

Sorry - waffling a bit! But yes, well done you. I wish I had your motivation and ability to be so brave to do this. xxx

I have a very dear friend who is a Pig Farmer in Wales - he is a free range farmer too.
When the day comes for the next load to go to the abbortoir(sp), his sons have to deal with the shipping, as my friend is in pieces! The pigs are like family to him...does it stop him eating pork? no. He is just happy in the knowledge that his pigs have a good life until the end comes.
Good on you for doing this yourself huni, the bacon will definitely taste better than shop bought, as it wont be pumped with all sorts of water and sugar substitutes!

x

Awww you're all so kind! :eek: I think i'm going to be like your farmer friend, mrs v! lol

Well if he can do it and make a living from it Huni, there isnt any stopping you!

Well done to you, I'd love to be Hugh at River Cottage too and do the Good Life bit. I think I could eat my home grown meat so long as OH tended to the deed of the slaughter etc but if it was left to me we'd be over run with animals cos I know I couldn't do that bit lol. I have 2 full size resin sadle backs in my back garden called sausage and bacon and I talk to them and they're only plastic! I hope you enjoy the pork and good on ya for giving 2 pigs a good life.

We've done it with pigs and lambs. meat is lovely and because we know they've just eaten grass (and apples in the piggy case) you know what's gone in. I do have to say one year we had to feed one of the lambs and that year i couldn't eat the meat in case it was the little one i'd hand fed!

Back