Kindle or Sony ereader?

Sum

Hula princess in training
Hey all,

I want to purchase an ebook reader but am unsure which one would be better? I know the Kindle is limited to amazon books while the sony can read PDF and epub formats so you can buy ebooks from other places like WHSmiths. But most people rave about the kindle. So i was confused on which would be better :confused:

Does anyone own one of the ereaders? If so would you recommend it?

Thanks for any help :) Xx

Last edited:
I brought my boyfirend a kindle for xmas and its absolutly fantastic! Since the 25th dac he has only had to charge it twice, and he uses it a lot! Love the e-ink screen, so nice compared to some LCD/TFT ones on lappys. You can read PDFs on it as well.

Never used the sony one so cant really give a comparison, sorry x

I love my Kindle. Fantastic piece of technology and not limited to Amazon.
I'd highly recommend it for the price :)

Thank you for the help - defiantly considering going with the Kindle then :D X

Sum go for the kindle. You won't regret it.. It is my companion every day morning and evening..

Starlight, how do you convert books?

Kindle

Hiya,

I have a kindle and i LOVE it!! I looked at others but deided that the kindle was the most popular one and that must be for a reason. I already used amazon so it doesn't bother me that i have to use them to download books. I have the wireless/3G one, which means i can download pretty much wherever i am.

I just wish they made the Kindle look a bit more attractive - why can't they do some zingy coloured ones instead of slate grey?!

Take the cost off a Kindle and put it towards an Ipad2;)

On a more serious note, the Kindle 3g is pre-paid, i.e. you can use it all over the world AT NO EXTRA COST. Once purchased can be used without roaming charges in US, ASIA, AFRICA, all of Europe etc.

Not my cup of tea, personally as limited to books and other devices include this, but that seems as good as any.

Steve

Maximus said:
Take the cost off a Kindle and put it towards an Ipad2;)

On a more serious note, the Kindle 3g is pre-paid, i.e. you can use it all over the world AT NO EXTRA COST. Once purchased can be used without roaming charges in US, ASIA, AFRICA, all of Europe etc.

Not my cup of tea, personally as limited to books and other devices include this, but that seems as good as any.

Steve

If you're using it for a lot of reading though the screen is second to none. It's the closest thing to reading a book. The apps are backlit and harder on your eyes :)

Recently bought a Kindle and love it. It is so light and sits so neatly in my hand. And it is so quick to download stuff, and there is so much free material out there. I have about 30 books on it already and haven't spent anything at all on them!

I found that the official cases which Amazon sell were rather pricey, but shop around a bit and you can find much cheaper ones. My pink one was less than a tenner.

I bought it to take on holiday - last year I took a few library books but (shock, horror!!!) finished them by half way through the second week and had to borrow something from the hotel lounge bookshelf. This year I will have more than enough to read!

Thanks for all the comments guys - Have ordered the Kindle based on all your postive reviews :D Can't wait for it to arrive now lol X

Okay I'm still debating whether to get one or not.

Can someone explain the benefits of going for the more expensive 3G version? Is it only that you can download books pretty much anywhere?

Also, for the standard kindle do you need a wireless router at home to download books - the literature seems to suggest this. Or is there another way to download ebooks?

Circes said:
Okay I'm still debating whether to get one or not.

Can someone explain the benefits of going for the more expensive 3G version? Is it only that you can download books pretty much anywhere?

Also, for the standard kindle do you need a wireless router at home to download books - the literature seems to suggest this. Or is there another way to download ebooks?

Hi Circes,

I have the standard one- you can download the books wirelessly or you can go to the amazon website, download the books using Internet explored and the next time you are are connected to the Internet wirelessly the books will be downloaded on to your kindle for you to read.

Back