Kitchen Gadgets?

Hi all,

I am starting SW on Tuesday and i am just wondering if there are any gadgets that are worth buying? I know i will need scales but what else? Is there anything you use that you couldn't do without? I have the basics but i see things like potato ricers mentions, are these better than a bog standard masher?

What do you think to those vegetable slicers? Was thinking one of those might be handy for making SW chips and for dicing up veggies for soup etc?

Anything else you guys can think of which are real time savers or essentials?

Thankies x

Main thing that I use regularly and couldn't do without - Hand wand stick blender thing (different people call it different things!!). Fantastically handy for making soups and sauces (if you want them smooth that is!!)

Everything else that I have, I've either asked for as a present (because I wanted them but could live without them), or bought for myself for reaching 1/2 stone/stone markers.

Definitely second getting a hand blender, fab for soups, couldn't be without it now!

I recently bought a hand blender and it's fab, I use it for all my homemade soups & also to make mash creamier.

I also love my crinkle cutter, use it mostly to make sw chips but also nice to use on veg too.
Obviously scales are good aswell for weighing out your healthy extras.

And I recently bought a pineapple corer, this is fab, makes your pineapple in seconds into nice rings :) And it was only from Poundland.

And last but not least my slow cooker, I love this to make stews, casseroles, soups, curries, chillies and roasts.
Hope this helps. xxx

You don't need a huge array of gadgets to do SW - lots of people cope well very with the bare minimum and of course if you are going to have them you need space to store them.

Essentials I would say are:
  • digital scales accurate to the nearest gram
  • measuring spoons (and also cups if you are going to do american recipes)
  • a measuring jug with mls/pints
  • a good set of kitchen knives
  • chopping board
Useful to have are:
  • slow cooker especially if you are out at work all day - a cheap one would do
  • stick blender for soups - but you don't have to blend soups, you can leave them rustic or use a potato masher
  • food flask - for working lunches
  • microwave steamer - for rice and veggies
Other things you can add as you go along and depending how much use you will get from them.

A really good knife is far better than any slicer, chopper, or whatever. Buy the best quality you can afford, get one larger and heavier than you think you will need - you will soon get used to using it - keep it sharp and wash and dry it carefully (never in the dishwasher!).

And a good solid chopping board that doesn't skid around when you use it (or use the Jamie Oliver tip of putting a damp teatowel under it).

You don't need a huge array of gadgets to do SW - lots of people cope well very with the bare minimum and of course if you are going to have them you need space to store them.

Essentials I would say are:
  • digital scales accurate to the nearest gram
  • measuring spoons (and also cups if you are going to do american recipes)
  • a measuring jug with mls/pints
  • a good set of kitchen knives
  • chopping board
Useful to have are:
  • slow cooker especially if you are out at work all day - a cheap one would do
  • stick blender for soups - but you don't have to blend soups, you can leave them rustic or use a potato masher
  • food flask - for working lunches
  • microwave steamer - for rice and veggies
Other things you can add as you go along and depending how much use you will get from them.

Couldn't agree more - Some gadgets are useful, but the majority will inevitably end up cluttering up a cupboard after the novelty has worn off!

Spend the money on lovely food instead!!

I bought a microwave crisp maker from ebay as crisps is my biggest vice, but I have yet to use it he he.

Don't forget that you'd have to syn any crisps you made as they're not syn free once they've been made into crisps.

I always use a battery powered mini whisk for stirring my hot choc!

I use a crinkle cutter for doing potatoes,just for a variation on the usual roasties/SW chips!

I also have a small grater wth a handle,I think its probably for grating ginger,lemon rind etc but I use it daily for grating my HeB Cheddar!

I wouldnt be without my potato ricer, crinkle cutter & microwave rice cooker. I know none of these are essential but they are the 3 things that I use on a regular basis & none were very expensive.

I wouldn't be without my nonstick wok!

I find a poacher useful but I am anal with detail and it is something you don't need to have. Could not live without my slow cooker and my peeler, garlic presser, steamer, potato ricer (I have weakness in my wrists) and my magic mixer

I wouldn't be without my mortar and pestle.
What do you grind up with that Sausage?

I know i wouldn't be without my digital scales, measuring spoons & cups & non stick pan.

Cups are really good- i made britmums orangecake the other day & it said use a cup of sweetener, if you look up how much a cup weighs on google, it says 175g but it turns out a cup of sweetener is about 20g when i measured it. :)

What do you grind up with that Sausage?

I grind spices, pods, seeds for curries, tagines etc. I go through loads of black pepper so it is handier to use the mortar and pestle than the grinder, imo. It sits at the side of the cooker and I lob black pepper into my SW chips and roasting veg. I have collected so many new herbs and spices since starting SW :)

Mmmmm sounds good, with your pods & seeds do you toast them first? Sorry to ask in this thread as it's not about that but hey it might help others too :)

Back