Knock, knock?

GI Jane

Hello everyone, mind if I join you? Like many I've been a serial yo yo dieter trying everything from meal replacements, ww, sw, juice diet. You name it I've tried it wasting lots & lots of money. I did go from an 18 to size 8 once but I'm back at an 18 again.

I signed up to sainsburys diets & started on low gi meal plan, however I'm finding it difficult as I'm not a huge breakfast person so I switched to their food diary facility instead so just track what I eat & just sticking to wholemeal pasta. No white carbs if possible.

According to SD I should eat 1500 per day & burn off 200. Today I've burnt of a lot more thanks to an hour of Zumba!

Any tips off anyone would be great! Are you supposed to eat the calories you burn? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Enjoy the rest of your evening

Hello!! An welcome lol.

Exercise calories and the eating of them is a totally personal thing I think. It works for some ppl an others hate it. If your current plan is to eat 1500 an burn 200 then you'll be left with a net daily intake of 1300 which is still a good deficit and you shouldn't have any problems losing. If things slow down or stop then you can always look at it again!! I'd just experiment with your exercise cals till you find a good balance?
Do sainsburys charge you for that food diary service? If so then check out myfitnesspal as it basically does the same thing for free :) and there's a phone app for using on the go.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Welcome on-board :) You'll get plenty of support on MiniMins. :)

Hello

Welcome to the site

Good luck with your weight loss and this is a fab forum x

Hello, thank you for the replies. A quick question if that is ok, do any of you stick to ready meals? It's just I thought that until I get my head around cc, with ready meals, I know exactly how many calories are in there.

Yesterday I consumed 1363 calories & burnt 522 doing Zumba so that's 843 in total which is a good deficit? Is this how it works?

Also on days I don't do exercise should I reduce my calorie intake?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your help.

Personally no, I stay away from ready meals at all costs unless I absolutely have to. You know exactly how many calories are in everything that you cook if you weigh and measure it all too. Use myfitnesspal.com to track it all and you'll know exactly how many calories you're having and you'll be eating a far better meal without all the additives, salt etc. that go into ready meals. I also think you'll get a lot more to eat if you cook yourself making healthy choices, I feel far more full after one of my home cooked meals than a measly ready meal!

Different people will tell you different things based on different opinions but in GENERAL, for a healthy woman who doesn't live a sedentary lifestyle, you should be aiming for 1200 calories a day net, which means after you've done your exercise. So if you burn 522 calories, you should be looking to eat around 1722 calories. It is suggested that if your body regularly (for more than 2-3 days) goes with less than 1200 calories then your body will go into starvation mode. This doesn't mean that you're literally starving yourself, it just means that your body kicks up its defence system against starvation. Your body starts to protect its fat stores and breaks down your lean muscle mass instead, though you will still be losing some fat. So yes, you'll still lose weight but it won't be in a healthy way. You'll be losing muscle mass which will give you a more flabby than toned look and it'll also reduce your metabolism, making it harder for your body to deal with normal amounts of food.

The calorie intake that each person needs to prevent this will be different, for someone with a very inactive lifestyle and slow metabolism, they can healthily do with less calories. Someone with a more active lifestyle or faster metabolism needs more to prevent it. But as a general guide, the majority should have between 1100 and 1200 a day. It's not an instant thing, having 800 calories one day won't suddenly throw you into starvation mode so if it happens occasionally, I really wouldn't worry. I know I sometimes have low days but as long as they're occasional, it's fine.

You're probably wondering what the point in exercising is if you eat the calories back so I'm going to copy and paste the rest from a post I did before...

Basically, consider your body a fire, to have a fire you need fuel. If you don't give the fire enough fuel, it can't burn. It's the same with your body, if you don't give it enough fuel (which is 1200 net calories a day) then it won't be functioning at it's best.

So then there's the question of, if I'm working my ass off to burn 500 calories a day and then eating those calories back, then what's the point I might as well eat less and not exercise. WRONG! Exercise has a lot more benefits than just helping your weight loss. Just a few of those being:

- You're creating a healthy and active lifestyle that will continue once you've reached goal and are no longer counting calories to 1200
- It allows you to eat a little more and therefore makes keeping to 1200 calories NET easier
- It means that you can work off the higher calorie meals that you have when you go out or have a special occasion
- Boosts energy levels and helps you sleep better
- It builds muscle and tones changing your body shape
- Strengthens your bones
- Regular exercise makes you less likely to suffer from certain diseases such as heart disease and diabetes
- It improves your overall fitness
- Exercise releases endorphins and improves your mood
- Reduces stress levels
- Lowers your heart rate and blood pressure through improved circulation
- Increases chances of living longer
- improves posture
- Enhances your immune system so less likely to get ill

I could go on, but I think there's enough reasons there!

I know I've gone on a bit there but I hope it all makes sense to you!

THANK YOU Caroline, yes it makes complete sense. I'm a rubbish cook hence why I'm like this now eg from filling up on rubbish and take aways! I even managed to burn pasta! Forgot to put water in lol! Never cooked a roast in my life. Perhaps this is the reason I don't have a husband lol. I'm the best advert for 'can't cook, shouldn't cook'

This is a good reason for me to learn and find the time to cook.

Start slow and simple and you'll slowly build up all the things you can cook! Use recipes with exact instructions, hopefully can't go wrong then!

I will also echo what Caroline has already said, it is far better to cook you're own meals rather than relying on ready meals as you do end up with a far larger portion and it's the bigger portion that I like.

I invested in buying the Rosemary Conley low fat recipe book (which also includes the calories and there is also a thread on here with some of her recipes). The book has quite a few quick recipes in there. One of my favourite is barbecue chicken with low fat cheese and it's only about 300 odd calories and only takes 30 mins to cook and all you really need is chicken breast, BBQ sauce and low fat cheese, it is now my childrens favourite meal. I usually serve it with low fat potato wedges.

Plus if you start experimenting with a little home cooking it will then become part of your lifestyle and will help you avoid relying on fast food, which as we all know are high in fat and calories. Give it a go you may shock yourself how good a cook you can be.

Hi GI Jane. I agree with the ladies.. It really is better to cook your own food. Keep it simple. There are loads of recipes on MiniMins. So have a look round and see whatyou fancy and it is the old saying. Practise,practise, practise :)
As with most things the more you do the better you'll get.. Good luck.

You don't need to do much cooking - don't let that put you off - salads, microwave fresh veg - you need to master grilling some chicken, cooking some fish in silver foil, a stir fry perhaps and you'll be away!!!

Ready meals are ok as a back up but choose the healthier ones and watch your sugar (my dieting enemy!!) I looked at ready meals last night and it wasn't worth it as a veggie - id have a better dinner with some fish or quorn and lots of veg!

Buy yourself a little George forman grill. Anyone can cook a dinner with one of those lol!! An they are quite cheap for an asda version?

Cooking can be really good fun so it's well worth have a go. If it goes wrong you can always have a micro meal !!!

Also, if you like ready meals for the convenience, how about when you cook something up, cook up two or three portions and then freeze the leftovers in individual portions in the freezer ready to be reheated if you need to?

Hello!! An welcome lol.

Exercise calories and the eating of them is a totally personal thing I think. It works for some ppl an others hate it. If your current plan is to eat 1500 an burn 200 then you'll be left with a net daily intake of 1300 which is still a good deficit and you shouldn't have any problems losing. If things slow down or stop then you can always look at it again!! I'd just experiment with your exercise cals till you find a good balance?
Do sainsburys charge you for that food diary service? If so then check out myfitnesspal as it basically does the same thing for free :) and there's a phone app for using on the go.

What she said :D:D:D

Also, definitley try myfitnesspal.com I don't know how I would manage without it.

I recently bought cook yourself thin and cook yourself thin express from ebay. Cost me about £6 for them both. The recipes are fab, quick and super easy. Even gives you the cal content.

Good luck hun :D

Back