Kohlrabi

I saw someone mentioned kohlrabi a few weeks ago.

Just the other day I was in the farm shop and saw some, so I thought I would try it.

It was pale green and round and looked and felt rather like a broccoli stem (although a different shape, obviously.

I looked it up and found that you can eat small ones raw, or cut them up and steam them, so I did a bit of both. Raw it was rather like a very mild radish and would be nice in a salad. Steamed it was a bit boring, to be honest, not unpleasant but I wouldn't bother again.

In future I might buy a small one for a salad, but it hasn't crept into my top ten vegetables!

Never heard of it myself, but with you saying it's like raddish, I wont be running out to the supermarket, as raddishes remind me of school meals when I was about 7 ... uuggghhh

Lisa

I Love kohlrabi -especially the purple ones, you are right though -they are much nicer raw, once cooked they seem a little milder. I grate mine to add to home made cloeslaw :D

Never had it but can imagine it sliced and chucked into a stir fry at the end - sort of for texture rather than taste!

I just chop em and add a veggie base to stuff like spag and chilli and casseroles... when I find em.

Back