Konjac (shirataki) noodles

I recently tried these and was not impressed, after they were mixed into a stir fry i couldn't tell which were the noodles and which were the beansprouts, and the smell when you open them before they are rinsed nearly stopped me from eating them, they weren't worth the £4 I paid for them. Will be waiting until conso to have my noodles.

Shirataki noodles are great! Two places you can get them online in the UK (I've used both websites before) are Japanese Food Mount Fuji International - Online Japanese Food Shopping and Japan Centre Online

After rinsing them, they're very nice if you stir-fry them with soy sauce until they're almost dry, before adding stir-fry vegetables (and maybe meat, quorn or tofu). They really absorb the soy sauce and are really tasty hot. They're also used in sukiyaki (google for a recipe!)

Gosh, someone's eating bean sprouts again :D

fit4hols said:
Shirataki noodles are great! Two places you can get them online in the UK (I've used both websites before) are Japanese Food Mount Fuji International - Online Japanese Food Shopping and Japan Centre Online

After rinsing them, they're very nice if you stir-fry them with soy sauce until they're almost dry, before adding stir-fry vegetables (and maybe meat, quorn or tofu). They really absorb the soy sauce and are really tasty hot. They're also used in sukiyaki (google for a recipe!)

At least the postage for the Mount Fuji people is a lot more reasonable than some of the online places I have seen. Has anyone tried the yam cake rather than the noodles? They're out of stock of the noodles themselves.

Fionat29 said:
At least the postage for the Mount Fuji people is a lot more reasonable than some of the online places I have seen. Has anyone tried the yam cake rather than the noodles? They're out of stock of the noodles themselves.

Maybe it's just me but I've always found the idea of yam cake a bit hardcore! You certainly need to chop it into *really* small pieces. I've had it like that in things I've bought (remember I live in Japan so food/deli shopping is different) but don't really like konnyaku/konjac/yam cake like that. For some reason, I think it in 2cm x 0.5cm x 0.5cm pieces or in larger pieces is like eating rubber but the noodles are really nice providing you wash them well then cook them in another flavour!

Last edited:
Back