L-carnitine

Prinzessin

Shoe Queen!
Hiya all,
Has anyone ever taken this before or know anything about it?
Cheers

I have a friend who has tried every pill and potion on the market. The one thing they all have in common is they state on the pack "can aid weightloss as part of a diet and exercise plan" or words to that effect. The point is, if you change your diet and exerzise plan you will lose weight with or without the pills. If they worked they wouldn't be affordable to the general public! There is no miracle cure for obesetity and there is no substitute for a good diet and exercise

Hiya, Yep well aware of all the above.
It has been recommended to me by a few people at the gym to aid and counter muscle fatigue not weight loss x

Ah I see. There are so many products on the market it is hard to know what is good and what isn't. It's always good to be wary of these things. It will be interesting to see if they work for you x

I havent bought them yet, bit sceptical really.
I had a word with a pharmicist who sounded very doubtful about them also.
There seem to be a lot of scientific papers written about them but they are also commissioned by the companies that sell them...so am thinking they are going to be a little biased really lol.
The girls in Holland and Barratt raved about them, quoting that they are brilliant for cardiovascular health too.
I asked them to refer me to the science papers they base their research on so that I could take a look but they just looked confused :rolleyes:
I guess they are salespeople and thats it lol!
Another thing I found confusing was that on the bottle of pills there were no guidelines as to how many you should take in a day or indeed ,when.
Think Im going to shelve this idea and ask a lot more questions! :) x

You sound very sensible. You are asking all the right questions and not jumping in without research. It is quite worrying that there is no dosage stated on the bottle

I weight train a lot and I use a lot of supplements. I am one of those who will give things a try (not fat burners and weight loss pills which can be dangerous for the body) and then say whether they helped me or not...'L-Carnitine is an important amino acid that can help transport fat to the muscle to be burned as energy. In promoting better utilization of body fat, it may aid in weight loss and improve athletic performance. Clinical research has also shown L-Carnitine supports athletic performance in endurance athletes. L-Carnitine plays a crucial role in cardiovascular metabolism and weight management.' (I do know some body builders swear by it) Usual dosage is one 500mg tablet per day...

The use of supplements and even some foods is all so very personal...you have to experiment because what works for me may not work for you, it is a matter of trial and error as doctors, scientists and even athletes all give differing advice with regards to weight loss, muscle building, foods that aid this and that as well as the supplements that work and do not work...

Give them a try (at least a month is the minimum suggested time) and get back to us...I have not tried this one but it is on my list...I'm using GABA and have used terrestris tribulus and creatine as well as other chemical compounds that others deem unnecessary and even say don't actually work. I know that without my supplementation I would not be anywhere as near to my goals as I am now...that is just one person's opinion, you have to try your own methods and go from there...others can only advise according to their own personal experience...

Last edited:
Oh if you need dosages (see these are personal too, I personally take 1g of vitamin C per day, others only take 30mg - 60mg) look in to sports articles and body building articles (bodybuilding.com) has loads of articles on tried and tested supplents), men's fitness magazine and online resource (not sure of the womens equivalent?

Hiya, Many many thanks for the reply :)
Thats great info for me to take on board.
I am visiting the doc tomorrow and will ask much the same, I am on other medicaton and want to be sure that nothing conflicts with that...will let you know how I get on ...
Thanks again, you lot are fab...fountains of knowledge :D xxx

Back