Lactulose and ketosis

shell09

Silver Member
Hi guys u may already know the nightmare I've been having in trying to go to the toilet well il cut a long story short..... I've just taken lots of lactulose as per the pharmacists advice but dies anybody have any idea if it will take me out of ketosis?? I don't know but I was desperate so had to take it regardless! N to cap it off I think I'm coming down with something now feeling awfull so wondering if I now need to prepare to work my way back into ketosis!

I think it's OK

I found a document for "ketosis friendly medicines" compiled for children who need to be kept ketotic and Lactulose is actually specifically mentioned as recommended for ketotic diets :D

Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are also listed as OK :D

Thank god and thank you gg! Off for the paracetamol now n can already feel lactulose starting to work

Lol.... better have a book handy... you could be there a while :)

Woo hoo thank you lactulose! I should have done a wi before n after lol...... Wow any one ever struggling n desperate Defo reach for the lactulose!!!

Lol...feeling better now?

So much I feel / fear there's more to come but either way much better! I'm gonna look into these husk thingys u guys seem to use the fibre don't seem to make any odds to me

i thought lactolose was sugar and water?

think i shall go back to my gp. lactolose was her first suggestion but she ruled it out cos of cambridge but the senakot isnt working for me and movicol quit doing the job way back

You can buy it over the counter Claire and the pharmacist is qualified to advise... save you the hassle of having to get a GP appt.

It's cheaper to buy over the counter too! I got a big bottle for £4.50 although at that point think I would have sold my soul for it lol! I'm choosing to believe I will not come out of ketosis on it but even if I do it was Defo needed! I'm gonna check with a ketostick in the morning and up date.... And I usually cone out of ketosis quite easily n I had loads of the stuff mote that it said to lol

Il post my findings in the morning seeing as I'm so addicted to my minimums app on the phone! :)

i thought lactolose was sugar and water?

think i shall go back to my gp. lactolose was her first suggestion but she ruled it out cos of cambridge but the senakot isnt working for me and movicol quit doing the job way back

It does contain a form of sugar (anything that ends in 'ose' does), but it's a form of sugar that's very poorly absorbed by the body - which is why it can get down to your bowels, drawing water with it so that you can 'go'.

I took it every day for a while and it didn't seem to have any detrimental effect on my weight loss. Couldn't say if I stayed in ketosis, cos I don't test for it, but it didn't seem to make me hungry, which would be the key reason to avoid it.

Don't quote me but I'm sure I read that it's not absorbed by ur body in the normal way it pretty much passes straight through to where needed. Think itches on a recent thread by goreygirl something like general info about going to the loo n constipation etc

Update- still taking it and tested n I'm still totally in ketosis :)

Sorry to hijack the thread but Gorey/Everyone, I have a wicked bad chesty cough at the moment and could do with some cough medicine, do you know any CD friendly? I've been recommended 'Robitussin' which is apparantly sugar free but thought I'd ask here too!

Thanks in advance xx

Sorry to hijack the thread but Gorey/Everyone, I have a wicked bad chesty cough at the moment and could do with some cough medicine, do you know any CD friendly? I've been recommended 'Robitussin' which is apparantly sugar free but thought I'd ask here too!

Thanks in advance xx

I'll check my list :)

Yeah Robitusson is sugar and carb free (which is what you want) but does have citric acid in it. I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that doesn't have one of the 3 in it so a rock and a hard place really.

Back