Ladies, need your opinions ...

meadowbankles

Silver Member
Ladies, I need your honest opinions
I'm 44, hubby had a vasectomy nearly three years ago and I've not had a period since 25 November.
I realise I'm "of a certain age" but I have an app on my phone that I track my periods with and I've been regular all year.
I feel so fat and gained 2.5lb at last Thursday's WI, which I felt was wholly undeserved :(
What would you do?
Pregnancy test? (it took a full 12 months for hubby to get the all clear after his op)
Trip to docs to discuss testing my hormone levels?
Wait and see?

Personally Id do the test. But it depends how late you are I guess. You can get a pregnancy test done free if you go to the GP though, thats the first thing they'll check :D

Hi, I would do a test and also book into the doctors just to check everything is ok. Then at least your mind would be at ease.

I think I'd do a pregnancy test first if I was in your shoes and then see my GP if that's negative.
Funnily enough i'm off to see my doctor tomorrow because my periods are all over the place at the moment - have had two a month for the last couple of months - and am getting all kinds of other weird symptoms, including bloating. Kinda think i'm in perimenopause but want some confirmation!

Soery, just read 25 November, I am thick :doh: Yeah go to your GP, they'll deffo do a pregnancy test on you and then if its not that they can check out everything else.

I don't want to worry or frighten you but urge you to making an appointment with your GP.
Good luck and help us know how you get on.

Personally, I don't think there's too much to worry about if it's just one month. It can happen due to stress or being ill for example. I also read that "dieting" can affect it. I think it kind of did the opposite with me. I've been on the contraceptive pill for 2 years now and it stops my period altogether. I hadn't had one in about 20 months until November (about 2-3 weeks after I started SW) when I had one that lasted 3-4 days. I haven't had another one since.

If it was me, I'd leave it for another couple of weeks at least to see if anything happens. But of course you know your own body best and if your concerned it would be best to see your GP even if it's just to put your mind at ease :)

I would call the doc in the morning and make an appt (please note I don't think it's anything to worry about - just a normal not urgent would be fine IMO), then I would go and get a test. You can buy chemist own brands for a few pounds and rule that in or out. Hormones are funny things and are probably just playing up but best to check anyway. Let us know how you get on xx

Any sudden change should be investigated by the doctor, as it has been mentioned there are lots and lots of causes.

Mention any other changes you may have noticed, like change in colour of bleeding, any bowel changes, any lower abdominal pain. It could be so many things.

Absolutely agree with Shirleen here the potential list for diagnosis could be endless! Go to the GP and get the best answer x

Chipmunk89 said:
Personally, I don't think there's too much to worry about if it's just one month. It can happen due to stress or being ill for example. I also read that "dieting" can affect it. I think it kind of did the opposite with me. I've been on the contraceptive pill for 2 years now and it stops my period altogether. I hadn't had one in about 20 months until November (about 2-3 weeks after I started SW) when I had one that lasted 3-4 days. I haven't had another one since.

You jammy devil!! I'm glad though I'm on the pill and it made mine regular as clockwork which given the problems I had I know it's wrong to say but i'm grateful for!

bevhunter1986 said:
Absolutely agree with Shirleen here the potential list for diagnosis could be endless! Go to the GP and get the best answer x

You jammy devil!! I'm glad though I'm on the pill and it made mine regular as clockwork which given the problems I had I know it's wrong to say but i'm grateful for!

I was always naturally regular as clockwork, ever since I started at 11. As soon as I went on the pill they stopped immediately! Lucky, definitely :)

Hi guys, test was negative (huge sigh of relief). Thanks for all your input, my plan at the moment is to wait and see if the relief of that triggers a period, if not, I suppose it's off to the GPs to discuss.
Thanks again.

Hi guys, test was negative (huge sigh of relief). Thanks for all your input, my plan at the moment is to wait and see if the relief of that triggers a period, if not, I suppose it's off to the GPs to discuss.
Thanks again.

:) Glad it's good news.

*crosses fingers for you that you come on soon so you can relax*

Back