Last ditch attempt before surgery

Yes Suzie. I think what you can and cannot eat after WLS depends on the type of surgery you have and the diet advice given by the professionals...but this thread wasn't intended to be about what you can and can't eat after surgery or to scaremonger or to say tat WLS is wrong. It was just about considering the option of whether or not to do it if this last ditch attempt doesn't work. My mother had WLS about 4 years ago. She did it in order to increase her life expectancy after a lifetime of unsuccesful dieting. She had a gastric bypass and had to follow a liquid diet a few weeks before and after surgery, progressing gradually up to mush before getting back to eating normal food. She has lost about 2 thirds of what she needs to and has maintained it for the last 2 years. She's fitter and healthier and does more exercise but she still eats pretty much the same things in smaller portions. However, certain foods (like red meat) do make her ill. But she has no regrets. WLS has therefore changed what she can eat slightly and the amount but this for her hasn't been a bad thing. However, once it's done there is no going back and if you opt for a bypass you need to take vitamins for the rest of your life (and maybe with if you have the sleeve too) which is why it's such an important decision. It worked in helping her lose weight and increase her quality of life which has been great for her and she is happier but i'm not sure her mindset has changed as she seems to have replaced what she can no longer eat with increased amounts of alcohol and compulsive shopping and so I don't feel that surgery has helped her to address why she has the need to do these things in the first place. WLS works for some people and not others (e.g. Carnie Wilson of Wilson Phillips or Alison Hammond from Big Brother/This morning). Everyone is different and not everyone overeats for psychological reasons. People need to do what is right for them and WLS is just not where i'm at....for now anyway.

Last edited:
My aunt is in the process of getting WLS... and she has to lose weight with a conventional food diet (ie eating healthy/calorie counting) before they'll give her it. Weight loss surgery is not a cure... and a very risky thing to do if you aren't going to put your heart and soul into it - thats why they need you to lose some weight by yourself before hand.

It will not work for someone who thinks its going do all of the work for them. Gotta get your head in the right place first. Hope you find a way to get the weight off without having to resort to surgery x

I've got alot of weight to loose still. I was scheduled for gastric bypass last year in sept. I truly thought it was what I wanted for over 3 years. Yet when on the pre op diet I finally decided to try again myself. But 120% as we all can say we've 'tried' but my opinion is I didn't try as hard as I could until it came to the point of surgery. Im glad I've changed my mind, an lost 3.1stone on slimming world since October 2011 :) had a few gains but I'm glad I can still eat naughty food an been limited from my own will power. Good luck I hope you dont need the surgery, I feel soo great loosing the weight myself xx

Well said Aligal! :)

I dislike the word ''diet'' I don't believe any diet works. It's about changing your lifestyle for the better! I personally wouldn't opt for WLS. I know somebody who had it and she has put herself in hospital numerous times because she wasn't following the after surgery plan she was supposed to - stupid woman. Everybody is different, Slimming World is the one for me but I have known people who haven't have much luck with it. It's all a mind thing, once your head is in the right frame of mind it's easy, the hard part is getting yourself into it!

Back