Lazy in the Kitchen

Alia

Silver Member
I admit it, I'm totally lazy where it comes to cooking - if I can find a tin/packet alternative to make life easier then bring it on - I buy my veggies ready cut, I can't be bothered with all that chopping business. I have to say since I've started SW I do cook more than I used to - I'd never have bothered to cook a chilli from scratch or so on.

I'm looking for ways and ideas to get me motivated in the kitchen - I would love to be the next Delia Smith (ummm errrr) but that is not going to happen. I was thinking about my SW diet, as in the food I eat not the actual plan its self and when I compare to other people my diet is pretty poor - I mainly surivive on syn free chilli either with rice or jacket potato - I make enough to last about 3 days and don't mind having it for 3 days in a row. Asda chick pea dhal in the tin with savory rice, jacket spud and beans, and more of the same. I enjoy a sandwich with some quorn slices and salad in it. I don't know why I tend to stick to the same meals time and time again - puts me to shame when I read some of the other peoples food diaries and see the variety of things that they are eating!

I want to start eating vegetables and enjoying them, I want to start cooking meals and enjoy the cooking and the end result.

I've bought some quorn meatball things today in the hope that I can find something interesting to do with them! :eek:

Help plz I need a kick up the bum and some basic ideas of where to start from x

Hey there. First off I'd like to say that your losses are amazing!

Now, I know exactly what you mean about grabbing the easiest option. That said, I definitely do cook more now, but it's nothing exciting.

Perhaps a risotto would be a good place to start? I've never made one before, but you could easily throw loads of vegetables in there :)

Or maybe some homemade veggie burgers? And a stir fry should be pretty easy - you could throw in some quorn to beef it out?

Hope this helps, I need to start being more adventurous with my cooking...I go for the easiest option ALL the time :(

A really good place to start is with the SW magazine, there are some fab recipes in there - or why not pick up one of the books from class? The family feasts for a fiver or extra easy cookbooks are very good and you can easily double the quantities if you want to feed the whole family.

Sometimes I really don't want to cook, but I do because I like to vary my food to stop me getting bored (it's been 3 years now!).

Chilli is a good meal, but how about a sausage and veg casserole? Add some butterbeans or cannelini beans to bulk it out and serve with broccoli and green beans. Or roast a load of meditteranean veg and serve with a salmon fillet or a chicken breast. It doesn't have to be fancy and it doesn't take long.

I make a lovely mixed bean chilli and have it with rice or jacket potato or on it's own as a lunch. That's one of my faves!

What I do is go through my SW recipe books/peoples Food Diaries each Friday and then do myself a menu for the following week with a different dinner for each night which I then stick to the fridge!

Obviously you don't have to have what is down on the actual night but as I only buy in what we need for the week it saves money and reduces the risk of me going off track because there is only SW stuff in the house!

Back