LCHF - Atkins the Swedish Way

RoarkMan

I thought I would start a thread about low carb diet in Sweden. I am Swedish by birth, but I have spent most of my life abroad. I am back in Sweden now and I am glad to inform you that low carb eating has made the news here, and there is quite a buzz about it. The government remains imbecile and keep recommending high carb and low fat diets. However, shockingly they have now approved a low carb diet for treatment of diabetes patients.

One issue I want to touch on is that LCHF, as they call it here and stands for low carb, high fat) is nearly identical to Atkins, with minute differences.

The most interesting differences are the intake of fat and less focus on vegetables, compared to Atkins.

I find LCHF even more fat friendly than Atkins. As a snack, LCHF thinks that salted butter on a spoon is great. I happen to love it, so it's great.

Most people on LCHF eat vegetables, but the focus on it is much less. There are also quite a few followers who claim that vegetables are overrated and that there are few vitamins and minerals we need from vegetables. They don't say to stay away from vegetables, but they are not such keen supporters as Atkins was.

I just thought I would share this with you, as I find it interesting to know what is going on in other countries and low carb diets.

Hmmm, there is something called Kimmers which is more fat and way less veggies. I do see where you Swede's are coming from though, there is a thing called the "Cave Man" diet theory that says we wouldn't have had much access to veggies back then and the majority of the diet then would have been meat and fish based, with the odd berries in season.

That's interesting, Roarkman. Good to hear what other countries do. I eat a spoonful of solid coconut oil if peckish when I low carb lol.;)

Jim :wavey: how you going? Are you thinking of kimkins? Cos on lowcarbfriends.com there's an entire board on how it was all a scam and she misled many people. Think there was a big lawsuit. PS lookin good in ya pic, look how different your stomach is. Most of my weight goes straight to my belly. :(

Yes Lyn, that was it love. I'm the same on the tummy front, but looking at my before picture my arms are massive, I hadn't really noticed that before.

Back