Le Sigh

When I use 15 a day or flexi syn one night and use 5-10 the rest of the week I have always had a good loss. On the weeks where I haven't used enough (5 a day average) I have only a small loss.
My C says if your struggling to lose or weight loss slows down drop your syns to just 10 but its what works for you. Try 15 a day or a flexi syn day so you still have control and see how you do.

My c recomends 10 as well, and just before I got to target she told me to reduce to 5, and then I got there. Everyone is different though, we all have different bodies and metabolism!

My mum gave me all her WW books and I was sooo excited to have a change.. I just feel incredibly low now :(
I don't feel like I can face people at SW tomorrow. When they ask me why I gained, I won't be able to lie, and will feel very foolish.
Grrrrr I'm so angry with myself!

dont worry, most people in your group will be in awe of the weightloss you have already achieved. Just get back on the SW wagon...

When I joined in April, my consultant said nobody in her class had more than 10 syns as nobody was overweight enough. I was 22+ stone.. It's been a real bugbear ever since but she insists on 10 a day for all.

At 22 stone you could have had fifty syns a day and still lose weight. 15 syns a day is fine right down to people getting very close to healthy or within healthy range of bmi (20 to 25).

Over depriving yourself can work and improve losses but it can also make you fall off plan.

gazter said:
At 22 stone you could have had fifty syns a day and still lose weight. 15 syns a day is fine right down to people getting very close to healthy or within healthy range of bmi (20 to 25).

Over depriving yourself can work and improve losses but it can also make you fall off plan.

I don't actually agree with you about having 50 syns and still losing weight tho! If I had have had 50 syns a day when I started I wouldn't have lost weight at all-as I'd have still been having 1000 cals worth of cr*p a day!

Last edited:
My C says that when she was losing weight, she made sure she had a full 15 syns a day right up until she reached target, and I asked her about the new reccommendation of 10 syns a day. She said she had heard nothing officially from head Office, so the 5 - 15 syns a day rule is still valid.

I don't actually agree with you about having 50 syns and still losing weight tho! If I had have had 50 syns a day when I started I wouldn't have lost weight at all-as I'd have still been having 1000 cals worth of cr*p a day!

The amount you can 'get away with' changes as your body reduces. I have stuck to the max of fifteen syns right through, but men have ordinarily a higher metabolism, but the plan is the same. The poster only need to really reduce her syns as her body gets a lot leaner.

Last edited:
Having read all the replies (thank you!) and having still not managed to stay on plan this week (or anything like) I am giving myself 15 syns a day from today. Surely an extra 100 calories is better than a daily binge. Thanks again. I really need to get back on track RIGHT NOW!x

Just checking from your stats your daily calorific requirements would have been about 3,000 calories a day. When you get to about fourteen stone this will have dropped to about 2300.
Which is exactly the difference between consuming 50 syns a day and 15.

You clearly aren't factoring in the free food tho. Also you can't just work out someone's 'calorie requirements' as you put it, from their stats.
You have to consider lifestyle and exercise etc. but this still doesn't change the fact I don't agree with your 'theory' about me having 50 syns and still losing weight!!!

Having read all the replies (thank you!) and having still not managed to stay on plan this week (or anything like) I am giving myself 15 syns a day from today. Surely an extra 100 calories is better than a daily binge. Thanks again. I really need to get back on track RIGHT NOW!x

That is a big part of the reason why we have syns to help us keep on track and yes if it stops you feeling deprived and binging then its a lot better and worth you trying that to see if that helps you stick to plan! good Luck xx

Well done for restarting. Like you say it is much better to allow yourself the extra 5 syns a day if you need it, than risk feeling deprived! Good luck xx

Just checking from your stats your daily calorific requirements would have been about 3,000 calories a day. When you get to about fourteen stone this will have dropped to about 2300.
Which is exactly the difference between consuming 50 syns a day and 15.
Its not an exact science with the stats but I know when I started sw I could have a night out and drink A LOT and still lose but now I couldn't manage to drink as much but if I do I am likely to have a large gain and it take ages to get rid of!

I don't see why there's a need to have 20, 25, 50 syns when there is so much free food allowed. Surely allowing extra syns is not changing habits? Are we not encouraged to fill up on free food, no matter what our size?

I don't see why there's a need to have 20, 25, 50 syns when there is so much free food allowed. Surely allowing extra syns is not changing habits? Are we not encouraged to fill up on free food, no matter what our size?

Exactly! If you fill up on free food-that's the point. Most satiation for the fewest calories.

Apart from the odd night out I did stick to the 15 syns a day when I started and was never told to do any different.
Goodness knows what my daily syn in take was before sw though and probably lots of other people so having 20/25 and maybe even 50 syns probably would be a change in habit and if it way of reducing someones intake and getting you eating less and healthier then it would be a good start.
There is the free food though as you say and last night I was feeling like I wanted 'naughty' foods but managed not to have synful food and have free food instead.

I wasn't advocating anyone having so many syns, just pointing out how having the full fifteen syns should not hinder weightloss until you get a lot closer to what SW refers to as healthy weight ( I think they use bmi charts).

To be fair having the full 15 should not hinder you at any point in your weight loss journey. There really should be no need to cut back on your syns at all but rather look to your free food portion sizes which should reduce naturally as you get smaller :)

Back