Lean Meat???

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by hollywoodjones, 25 June 2010 Social URL.

1. hollywoodjones

hollywoodjones Member

Start Weight:
    21st5lb
    Current Weight:
    20st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(4.68%)
    I know this prob sounds like a really dumb question but what is lean meat? i looked all round asda and the only lean meat i could find was mince????

When i asked my slimming world leader she said it was any decent meat with all the fat removed is this correct??

Thanks x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Xassy

Xassy Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
  4. Honeyoc

Honeyoc Is a crunchy mama!

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st9lb
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating
    Yes that is correct. Lean meat is meat without any fat or skin (in the case of poultry). With mince it has to be extra lean, i.e. 5% fat or less.

5. Lovely_Laura

Lovely_Laura Moooooo

Start Weight:
    33st0lb
    Current Weight:
    21st13.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st0lb
    Lost(%):
    11st0.5lb(33.44%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    You don't need to buy specially lean cut's of meat if you do the work yourself ie.remove all visible fat. It's often quite a bit cheaper to buy what you normally would and remove fat. I do it with bacon though you can buy lean stuff with the fat already off.:)

6. cazie6

cazie6 Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st8lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.7%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - doing it on my own
    Where can I buy lean bacon from because I've searched Tesco high and low and none of them say lean on them.

7. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Basically just look for bacon with all the fat trimmed off it - Tesco do bacon medallions as part of their Healthy Eating range - or just cut the fat off yourself. All the major supermarkets do lean cuts with very little fat as do weight watchers.

8. cazie6

cazie6 Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st8lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.7%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - doing it on my own
    Thanks, I will have another look then :)

9. Xassy

Xassy Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
  10. 10st10lbs

10st10lbs Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(5.33%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I asked for lean lamb mince in Asda once and he said they only do it on demand - I was like, well mate, I'm demanding! :eek: lol... But then he said the lamb mince they already had was pretty much lean anyway... I counted a few extra syns that day, as I really couldn't be sure! xxx

11. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Mince is marked up as lean or extra lean because it would be difficult to see how much fat it had just by looking.

But for other meats, just use your eyes. Cut off all the fat you can see. If you get skinless, boneless chicken thighs, which I often do, unfold them and cut off any little bits of fat you see inside.

All meat has a certain amount of fat in it - no such thing as fat-free meat even if it is completely lean to look at. But we all need a little bit of fat in our diets - we would be very unwell without it.

Just take a good look at what you are buying, and trust your judgement. And make sure you have a sharp knife!!

12. tarka

tarka Full Member

Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Tesco sell "reduced fat" healthy living pork mince as well as normal pork mince. I generally trim all visible fat off the meat before I cook it and that seems to be fine. For mince I drain any fat/juices out after frying it off to ensure it's as lean as poss.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.