lean or extra lean mince

hennyhamster

Silver Member
Does anyone actually use the extra lean mince or just the lean? I have always just used lean and never had a problem but wondered if using extra lean would actually make a difference.

I mainly use extra lean, but if you're using lean and still losing weight then carry on (in my opinion), if the losses stop or slow down, then try switching to extra lean etc. x

I always use extra lean as I believe in following the plan 100 %, once you begin tweaking things here and there eventually the plan will stop working for you.

i only use extra lean, but mainly coz my 1 year old daughter eats it with us and i want her to have only the best lol!!!!!

i used to use lean as cudnt find extra lean & it never affected me but now i used extra lean as asda does it & tesco x

I've started buying the lean instead of extra-lean as am economising. I brown it off, then put it in a colader and rinse it with boiling water to get rid of any excess oil.

I buy the extra lean beef, but i have seen a couple of sw mag/book recipes where they use lean pork or lean lamb and its been classed as free... this confuses me! I thought they were definately syned.

If quorn isnt on offer, and at 3 quid a bag then I use extra lean mince as it works out cheaper. Or do a half and half mix when i manage to get it propper cheap to economise :D cant taste the quorn at all!

I suppose lean would be ok as long as you drained the fat of after browning.

You could also us turkey mince as that is very lean

janzbro said:

Unfortunately that still doesn't make it free, no matter how much you drain or rinse (as some do) some of the fat is still retained in the mince, a bit like cooking bacon or steak and not removing the fat, no amount of draining will remove it.

Even some turkey and chicken mince which you would assume to be low fat has a high fat quantity and is not extra lean as the minced up meat uses all parts of the bird including skin to make a cheaper quality mince.

It is important not to assume a food is free. Always check ingredients and especially check fat content of mince you buy.

Be careful, because not all turkey mince is low-fat. Turkey breast mince is fine, but the cheaper turkey mince can be quite high in fat if they have just thrown everything in - I have seen turkey mince in Tesco which was well over 10% fat.

It is important not to assume a food is free. Always check ingredients and especially check fat content of mince you buy.

So true! OUt of interest I look at a few packs yesterday

One labelled lean was around 7 to 8% fat so quite close to extra lean which is less than 5%

But another - also labelled lean - was 18% fat!!!

Even some turkey and chicken mince which you would assume to be low fat has a high fat quantity and is not extra lean as the minced up meat uses all parts of the bird including skin to make a cheaper quality mince.

Thanks for reminding me why Im vegetarian :D

i use extra lean but sometimes when its not available i do use just lean but as long as you count the syns i suppose its a preference thing, my top tip is never put anything in your mouth unless you are aware of the syn value of it! seems to work for me x

Any one no if you can get extra lean lamb mince .... It says it in recipes but not seen any in shops .....

I use extra lean if I do the shopping, but the hubby will save a few pennies and by lean. If I use lean I just syn it - it's not that many syns for a portion anyway?

Back