Extra Easy Lean steak mince? Free?

Muffindoll

I usually buy extra lean mince when I can but a few times lately I have been to the supermarket and they have only had normal mince and lean steak mince.
Do you think I can count the lean mince as free if I drain off any fat - to be honest last time I bought it there didn't seem much if any fat to drain off anyway.
It annoys me how much more expensive it is for extra lean - I suppose you get more meat for your money as theres no fat but it bugs me that its more expensive to be healthy
Thanks!

some people cook it and then drain it in boiling water, but I reckon this ruins the flavour. Lean mince is syns.

I just use turkey mince now, it's half the price of ELB and is free food.

I never even though of that, I have been buying turkey fillets instead of chicken cos they are cheaper, I didn't even think about doing the same thing for mince, what a good idea. Sometimes I end up missing out altogether as I can't afford the extra lean beef mince.
Thanks for that X

No probs. it does need seasoning as turkey mince can be bland but if you make bog with it, crumble a chicken oxo or two into it before you add the passata and herbs, and for burgers, season well with oregano before frying in fry light.

ELB mince I only get on special occasions now anyway, or of OH specifically requests some cow flavour. Otherwise he gets turkey bog and loves it.

I drain the lean mince... dry fry it in a non stick pan, then pour it into a sieve and leave it for 5 mins until it's dry.

Sometimes I buy extra lean, but it depends on the prices.

Emma

Back