Leave our cheese alone :(

losingit

Silver Member
The cheeses saltier than a bag of crisps: Alarming levels contributing to high blood pressure responsible for heart attacks and strokes | Mail Online

Everyone seems to have a vendetta against the very food that is actually good for us and it's really annoying me! OK so it's only the daily mail but it is indicative of what many people believe. Normally it is fat getting the most press nowadays, been a while since i've seen a salt article. I'm scared at this rate the world in the future will be without natural foods at all and will consist of processed junk that is low in fat/salt but high in sugar/carbs.

On a side note, anyone find that on Atkins you actually need to eat more salt than before? I know for me if i don't get enough salt i start to feel faint on Atkins after a while. I tend to add salt to everything. And i have a blood pressure which is spot on perfect.

The whole salt thing is nonsense anyway. Much like eggs and cholesterol, salt only contributes to high blood pressure if you -already have- high blood pressure. It's a tiny factor in the wake of far more important factors. I'm hypotensive (extremely low blood pressure), eat buckets of salt and can't raise my BP that way unfortunately.

Also yes you do need more sodium than usual when in ketosis, it's to do with not having glycogen stores I believe.

I heard that on the radio yesterday in the car and it did make me chuckle

You do need more salt on a low carb diet. I think it's something to do with potassium and your body dumping salt to preserve potassium which is why we're supposed to take a supplement. I used to worry about salt and nitrates etc but now I can't be bothered. Every week the press attacks something good for us (meat, cheese, green tea, cream etc etc) but they never attack sugar, wheat or corn. A huge percentage of America is covered in corn (can't remember the source for this, might have been Fat Head documentary-movie) so trash green tea and get people to drink HFCS coke! Trash meat and people turn to wheat, corn and other rubbish. I was vegetarian for about 8 months in sixth form...*chill down spine*

I wonder how many of these studies are paid for by the wheat and corn industry who then lobby the government as well to issue these bizarre food pyramids based on carbs...

Back