Leaving S.W

Right , a moment of clarity going to try and stick with it for the next few weeks ...trying is all i can do i guess !:)

I know how you feel, would be nice to be able to just buy something in the supermarket and bung it in the microwave from time to time, not talking every meal every day. But just for when you don't fancy standing over the chopping board and having those extra dishes to wash for example.

Our consultant always say, 'do you really want that cake/ chocolate etc or do you really want to lose weight'. It does help when you're having a moment of weakness

Hey thanks for replying, in no way will i be just living on conveniance meals its just that i feel that its better to have the option surely.

Sure, of course hun, but you can make your own ready meals. Just make a teensy bit extra when your cooking and freeze it.

When I used to cook for 5, I couldn't afford to buy extra meat for the 5th person, but by bulking out, I always managed to feed 5 on a meal for 4.

So you could just bulk things out, that you cook and freeze that little bit extra. Then when you eat your very own ready meal, Imagine the satisfaction you will feel that you cooked it, and not only that but its tastes way way nicer than any ready meal you will buy!

I know its sometimes time consuming to prepare from scratch but there are a lot of work arounds and short cuts that members have used. It just takes time to work them all out, and get used to them. xx

Cityred, can I just say that you really shouldn't think of yourself as a failure you know. You've lost 35lbs already...it may have taken longer than you'd like but it's still 35lbs that's gone and you're nearly half way to your goal.

It's good that you're not giving up altogether, you're battling on and whether that be with SW or WW or any other plan...how can you be a failure whilst you're still trying and losing weight?

I'm nearly twice your size but I feel fab because I'm doing something about it, I'm being proactive and helping myself and so are you, try and think positively because you're doing brilliantly!

Just to add...the frozen meals is a great idea. I use freezer bags and just make more of something and freeze what's left. Have got my own curry, sweet and sour and casserole frozen in the freezer at the mo, only takes about 8 mins in the microwave and they're ready, so fab for a day when you can't be bothered cooking lots.
You can also do stuff like parboiling chips/roasties in the microwave to save time, using a mugshot as part of a meal is a great quicky too or invest a few quid in a slow cooker.

I'm not at group but when I was my consultant was pretty similar, seemed more interesting in gossiping with those she knew well rather than those outside of the clique. I'm loving the forum and don't feel I miss group at all at the mo because there's so much info and support here.

1.5lbs is quite a good loss really, it's nearly a whole bag of sugar! Ok, so it's not a huge amount but you didn't stay the same or gain. Have you had any weeks were you lost a good amount you were happy with? If so, and you've kept a food diary, try and repeat what you had to eat that week and see if that gives you a good loss again?

Last edited:
I know how you feel, would be nice to be able to just buy something in the supermarket and bung it in the microwave from time to time, not talking every meal every day. But just for when you don't fancy standing over the chopping board and having those extra dishes to wash for example.

But you can do this on SW! There are syn free ready meals you can choose if you need to - there is an entire thread devoted to them in the Syn Values sub-forum and they feature regulary in the SW magazine.

Thank you to all those who have replied, i think i just need to go and maybe have a cry and let my frustrations flow away, then tomorrow is new day, draw a line and all that, i think its that darn "black dog" again, maybe i should pop and see the GP! xx

Cityredgirl - whatever you decide, don't feel guilty over it. This is a long process and you have made a fantastic start. My opinion is that both plans will work, it just depends what suits you best. I love SW for a number of reasons that suit me ('unlimited' food (although I'm always conscious of portion sizes I don't worry too much about it), never 'running out' of food that I want to eat/makes me feel full, and the psychology of not feeling guilty when I eat my syns within my limits) however I have no doubt that if you stick to it, WW will work too.

The most important thing is choosing the plan that suits you (so that you will stick to it). That will be the plan that you lose most weight on.

If you change your mind and stick to SW, try making batch meals and freezing them. I do that very frequently (I work fairly long hours and 'play hard' outside of that !) and it works really well so that I don't have to cook every night.

Whatever you decide though, I really hope that you do well.

Gail x

Your definitely not a failure. Why don't you try one week on ww, then if you dont like it you can always go back to sw and just pay the missed week,

Remember to get a paper today cuz there's always a free ww registration token in the papers.

Good luck with whichever you choose xx

Can I offer a tip - I work shifts and also don't have lots of time to spend preparing meals but I bought a slow cooker, and was lucky to get a rice cooker from freecycle and they have transformed meals for me. I put on a huge stew or soup or curry in the slow cooker, cook up a huge batch of rice in the rice cooker and then freeze it all in portions. It is so easy just to pick up a meal from the freezer each day for lunch or dinner. I make sure that most of the ingredients going in the slow cooker are vegetables in order that at least a third is made up of my superfree things and I don't have to worry about adding fresh veg if I don't have time or inclination. I've never felt so organised with such little effort;)

I know what you mean about the preparation.

I started full time work in Jan and have found it difficult to find the time or inclination to cook from scratch when I get home.

I even won a slow cooker at the xmas SW raffle but am frightened about leaving it on all day!

I think we all have to do what works for us. The constant counting with WW would put me off after the freedom of SW, I'm not sure that encourages a healthy way to think about food but I can see the appeal.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cityredgirl said:
Thank you to all those who have replied, i think i just need to go and maybe have a cry and let my frustrations flow away, then tomorrow is new day, draw a line and all that, i think its that darn "black dog" again, maybe i should pop and see the GP! xx

Hi Cityredgirl,

Just to say that there's no shame in doing any of the things mentioned above. I'm just now clawing my way out of a very dark tunnel I've been in for around 3 years. I've suffered with the "back dog" (love the analogy btw) since i was 15, and always been lucky enough to shake it off fairly quickly, but this last time it stuck for a long time and took a lot of effort and time to shift (medications, and more than 1 psychologist) but this time i actually feel in control as i come out, which is why for the first time in 8 years of dieting i have managed to stick to a diet properly for more than four weeks.

There's no shame/hurt/embarassment in asking for help, if you need it.

HUGS

Onto the food stuff. Just a thought but there are quite a few free, and low syn ready meals you can eat on SW, maybe not as many as WW, but still a lot. I always keep a few in for those days when work has been a b**ch and i can't be bothered cooking. A low/free syn ready meal combined with one of those little steam fresh pouches of veg is perfect.

I love the freedom of SW (which really means I'm too lazy to be bothered with the counting you have to do on WW), but it's whatever works best for you. I've tried a few different "diets" over the years but i always come back to SW, because it makes sense to me and i know if i follow plan it will work. At the same time i know it's not for everyone, my sister can't lose with SW and she loves WW.

Anyway, i'll stop rambling on now. What ever you decide to do, good luck. And please come back and let us know how you're doing?

Toni. Xx

hi, just wanted to wish you well on you're plan, you must find whatever works for you, i've come back to sw after a break, my last 'c' was a bit like yours, but, my new one is lovely, even going as far as setting up a facebook page for her members, and it's a great. good luck hun and a (((hug))), know it's hard but you'll get there:D

blimey, I woke up this morning with a fresh sense of prospective (despite having a torrid sleep shift :/) prior to reading the amazing replies on here i decided im going to stick with it, nobody said our "journeys" were going to be easy or a piece of cake (;) ) i think ive gotten so used to just throwing in the towel which then resulted in self loathing and damaged esteem, I will take on all the advice given and will give it all ive got, for me this has been a 15 year battle of wills between my mind and body, and i cant let my negative thoughts defeat the goal i want, i want to be able to look in the mirror and actually like what i see, i want to be able to walk into most high street stores and by a gorgeous pair of jeans and trendy top, ive had it with creeping round charity shops in despair looking for a pair of jeans that will fit and having to avoid my reflection at all costs. You girls and guys are amazing and i would like to say a great big thank-you, you restore my faith in human kind ;) phew...xxx :gen126:

Yay.

Glad you're feeling better today. Everyone has those days and the fact that you can recognise what it was is great.

HUGS

Back