Leaving Slimming World as it just hasnt worked for me.

Ophelia105

Silver Member
WEll, I gave it my best shot.

In the last two weeks I have put on 1kg. This might not seem like much but I have been following SW 90% of the time and my weight is the same as it was when I started in February.

I've researched this forum and others. I've tweaked using peoples suggestions. I have been doing green days as I am veggie so have been having all my healthy extras. I have been having my syns. I have been having 1/3 super free with the majority of my meals.

I have tracked my food. I have measured my healthy extras. I have been careful with what I eat and compared it with other peoples food diaries. I don't believe I m eating too much or too little. Occasionally I have gone off plan but I don't believe I have anymore than other people in this forum who still seem to be losing weight. I have given up bread and watched my water intake.

But none of it has worked. All I wanted to lose is 10kg which would take me back to my goal weight of 59kg which is the top end of my acceptable weight range for my height with a BMI of 24.5. I was this weight this time last year and I want to be this weight agin before my hols in September. Four months and 1lb a week would have been nice. But nothing, nada, zilch, not a chuffing sausage (quorn or otherwise!)

I have really enjoyed being on SW but I can safely say it does not work for me. And I am deeply disappointed by that. Not least because I am now going to have to go back to calorie counting and being hungry but because I have enjoyed the freedom of the plan.

I will come back to SW and use it as a maintenance plan as at least it has been good for that.

In the meantime best wishes to all those who are able to lose weight with slimming world. You are very lucky!

Ophelia105 said:
WEll, I gave it my best shot.

In the last two weeks I have put on 1kg. This might not seem like much but I have been following SW 90% of the time and my weight is the same as it was when I started in February.

I've researched this forum and others. I've tweaked using peoples suggestions. I have been doing green days as I am veggie so have been having all my healthy extras. I have been having my syns. I have been having 1/3 super free with the majority of my meals.

I have tracked my food. I have measured my healthy extras. I have been careful with what I eat and compared it with other peoples food diaries. I don't believe I m eating too much or too little. Occasionally I have gone off plan but I don't believe I have anymore than other people in this forum who still seem to be losing weight. I have given up bread and watched my water intake.

But none of it has worked. All I wanted to lose is 10kg which would take me back to my goal weight of 59kg which is the top end of my acceptable weight range for my height with a BMI of 24.5. I was this weight this time last year and I want to be this weight agin before my hols in September. Four months and 1lb a week would have been nice. But nothing, nada, zilch, not a chuffing sausage (quorn or otherwise!)

I have really enjoyed being on SW but I can safely say it does not work for me. And I am deeply disappointed by that. Not least because I am now going to have to go back to calorie counting and being hungry but because I have enjoyed the freedom of the plan.

I will come back to SW and use it as a maintenance plan as at least it has been good for that.

In the meantime best wishes to all those who are able to lose weight with slimming world. You are very lucky!

Maybe give it a week or so 100% on plan then it will work. You say you've occasionally gone off plan-that could be the reason why you've gained.
Post some food diaries on here and people will be able to advise you.
Also tweaks aren't following the plan! Some people can get away with them-others can't!
Good luck with whatever you decide

Sent from Jo's iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks for the comments Jo

My tweaks are within plan e.g giving up bread, incorporating 1/3 super free etc. There has been no off plan tweaking!

Even going off plan occasionally - and I mean once or twice a month for a day - I still would have expected SOME weight loss in 4 months!

But nothing.

I have my food diary on iwatcher o have no idea how to upload it without re typing it.

But a typical day is

Breakfast

Two egg omelette with veggies 1 hea of baby bel fry lighted of course!

Lunch pasta salad with lots of veggies and a hea of cheese or quorn chunks

Dinner quorn chili and rice with mushrooms and spinach.

Free yoghurt for dessert.

Snack alpen lights x2 banana

Syns freddo or other 15 syns or less chocolate.

I usually have about 5 syns a day and save 30 for a bottle of wine at the weekend. This seems to work for some people and even if it isn't the best thing to do I would still expect some weight loss in 4 months!

Ophelia whatever you do reward yourself with something other than food. If you've been there before when you just want to binge you'll know that you will feel sooooo horrendous afterwards. It is so frustrating when you've tried so hard to lose weight and it doesn't come off but just try to avoid the binge. You do need some comfort cos you feel so bad but make it something else that will take your mind off things, a mag, arrange to meet a friend for a walk, whatever you enjoy. I hope you are ok cos you sound so low with it all and it is just crap when you try and it doesnt work. I hope it gets better for you. ???

Have you tried red day - I found that more sucessful then EE or green as controlling the amount of carbs I eat as they really make me bloated and stop me from pooing.

Ophelia105 said:
I usually have about 5 syns a day and save 30 for a bottle of wine at the weekend. This seems to work for some people and even if it isn't the best thing to do I would still expect some weight loss in 4 months!

If anything this is the bit that will be hindering you. Some people are lucky and can get away with saving syns for the weekend, others can't!
It may well be that your body doesn't know what to do having a low calorie amount all week then one high day (I know the plan is 5-15 daily but there's people at my group who if they cut down their syns they maintain without fail!).
My advice would be to have one more go, with no syn saving. Use all 15 daily and don't save them for the weekend and see how you get on. Xx

D'you know what, not all diets work for all people. I think you've given it a fair go, lots would have quit before now having seen such slow results. I agree that even with a couple of off days you should have seen some results over 4 months and if I was in your position I'd be looking for an alternative too. Have you looked at the WW Healthy & Filling plan? It's similar to SW but with a smaller free food list. I've been doing it for the last few weeks and it has given me a bit of a boost. Good luck with whatever you decide x

I would also be interested to know what the 10% of the time you were not on plan consisted of exactly.

I am sure it won't be anything too daft as you seem to be taking your weight loss reasonably seriously, but 10% could be tipping the balance against you.

Have you tried red day - I found that more sucessful then EE or green as controlling the amount of carbs I eat as they really make me bloated and stop me from pooing.

Shes a vegetarian so cant have red days xx

Technically you can do red days even as a vegetarian, some people find it helpful if they want to control the amount of carbs they eat. They just eat quorn or meatfree products in place of meat and fish :)

Technically you can do red days even as a vegetarian, some people find it helpful if they want to control the amount of carbs they eat. They just eat quorn or meatfree products in place of meat and fish :)

Yeah that's true, cos I do think sometimes when I have green days I do eat too many carbs

Red days are good for veggies if you are not great at portion control. I have this problem sometime, I could eat 500g of pasta easy but even though it's a free food this slowed down my weight loss. I know use the Healthy extra recommended portion amounts or the ones on packets now and bingo I've been losing consistent good numbers again.

Just wondering how much your diet has changed since starting SW? What sort of things did you eat before?

Just a thought, but although bananas are free on SW I found even 1 a day affected my weight loss and I notice you have 2.

That's interesting. I am eating at least a banana a day (its the easiest thing to put on my weetabix/bran flakes). I wonder if i should switch to another fruit. Not having a problem with weight loss at the moment though.

Have you discussed your lack of weight loss with your consultant? I know at our group if someone is struggling the first thing is a weekly food diary, then she goes through it & makes suggestions & for some people suggests that they try another plan which appears to work.
Please keep on trying.....

Back