Lemon drizzle cake-yummy!!

I_dream_slim

Silver Member
I have just made a lemon drizzle sponge cake (from the ww website-just search for it). Was realy easy to make and very quick to cook...you do need an electric whisk or mixer but its worth it! 3pp a slice and the slices are generous!! Feels a lot more and a lot more naughty than a 3pp bar or similar! A great find! xxx

is this it,,if so do i need 75g of each flour?
i'm going to make this now:)
Soaked Citrus Sponge Cake

ProPoints® Value: 3
Servings: 8
Preparation Time: 25 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Level of Difficulty: Difficult

This light-as-air cake is soaked with a lemony-lime syrup to give it a fresh citrus zing.

Ingredients

5 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled
3 medium Egg, Whole
75 g Sugar, Caster
1 medium Lemon, finely grated zest and juice, keep separate
1 medium Lime, Whole, finely grated zest and juice, keep separate
75 g Flour, Wheat, White, Plain, plain
1 pinch Salt
25 g Sugar, Icing
Instructions
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/375°F/fan oven 170°C. Spray a 20cm (8 inch) round loose-bottomed cake tin with low fat cooking spray and line the base with a circle of greaseproof paper.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and half the lemon and lime zest together using a hand-held electric mixer until very thick, light and airy. This will take about 5 minutes. Gently fold in the flour and salt using a large metal spoon. Transfer to the cake tin and level the surface.

Bake the cake for 10-12 minutes until firm, yet slightly springy to touch. Put the cake, in the tin, on a wire cooling rack.

Put the lemon and lime juice into a small saucepan with the remaining zest. Add the icing sugar and heat gently until dissolved. Bring to the boil, then immediately remove from the heat. Slowly spoon this syrup over the cake whilst the cake is still warm. Cool in the tin, then remove carefully. Serve when cold.
Notes
Just use 2 small lemons instead of the lemon and lime combination, if you prefer.

With whisked sponges, it is vital to whisk the eggs and sugar with a hand-held electric beater for about 5 minutes until really thick and foamy, so that the beaters leave a trail for a few seconds when lifted from the mixture. Next, the flour must be folded in very gently so that the air is not lost. When whisked sponges are baked, they will only rise a little, as the volume should already be there. It is also important that the sponges go into a preheated oven.

Last edited:
Yum I love lemon cake, will have to make this at weekend xx

Ym- I think it's just 75g of White plain flour, or wheat.

my cake is gone and all,,kids loved it!!!only took about 30 mins in total from start to finish and i had everything in stock also:D

Yup that was the one!! Its brilliant isnt it-was sooo light and just as nice as the m&s one (14pp for tiny loaf slice) compared to what i thought was a generous portion...yeah i had everything in to-replaced the lime with more lemon-everyone loved it!! Actualy im just about to bake another one ready for the weekend-at 3pp its a hit with the whole family!! xxx

yummymummy75 I could kiss you for posting this recipe!!!

My mum makes a lemon drizzle cake which is absolutely delicious, but its 8pp a slice!!! I've told her to stop making it because I have no willpower to not eat it if its there but now I can just give her this recipe. Just an alteration though - my mum gets a skewer or cocktail stick and prods holes into the top of the cake before putting the lemon drizzle on, it makes it proper moist then.

Thanks again!!

just wanted to update on the genious lemon cake...its now a firm fave in my family...i get requests to make it all the time...with 4 people eating it it doesnt last long but is sooo cheap to make!! hurray!! xx

this is cake is so quick to make, made it on the recommendations here, yummy so light and tasty

Can't wait to make this! I love lemon cake sooo much :) :) xxxx

Going to have to have a go at this one. I am a total cake fiend at the moment and have eaten a full lemon cake from Tesco all to myself. God knows how many PP were in it. I need some low PP treats in the house to keep me on track. Thanks for this I Dream Slim you might have just helped me to get back on track.

Back