Lemsip Rant

Sarahj82

I am so flipping annoyed! I am absolutely full of cold and now will be wasting 1/2 or maybe 1 syn a day on Lemsip (1/2 syn per sachet). I know it is only a teeny amount but for some reason it really annoyed me! Sorry folks.....rant over x

You could have hot water with lemon and sweetner and paracetamol for the exact same effect and no syns. I tend to have hot water lemon and a tsp of honey for a syn with paracetamol as I find it soothing and I don't mind synning honey.

I am OK with it really Snowbryneich. I was just surprised when I went on the app that it came up as synned and as I am feeling sorry for myself I had a little rant lol........sorry x

haha fair enough. I hate the taste of lemsip anyway as you can taste the paracetamol in it so that's the other reason i do it my way with a tablet and hot water/lemon separate. hope you feel better soon!

I never Syn medicine because i figure I need to get better and it's good for my body. Though I do tend to buy the capsules rather than the drinks

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I swear by hot water with fresh lemon, honey and a big glug of whiskey - only way I can drink whiskey - makes for a great nights sleep when you're full of cold. Will be full of syns though

I never Syn medicine because i figure I need to get better and it's good for my body. Though I do tend to buy the capsules rather than the drinks

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com
I agree with this - I have never synned lemsips and the like.

Lemsip contains sugar and sugar = syns. Can't be helped. Whatever good the medication is doing, the sugar isn't doing any good at all.

Someone at our group got very cross because Strepsils have syns - our consultant pointed out that they are sweets!

I had to stop taking any cold remedies because the decongestant ingredient could potentially interfere with my regular medication. So I have lemon and ginger tea, and take paracetamol. It's just as effective and a heck of a lot cheaper!

I wouldn't syn lemsip either. It's not like you're drinking it all day every day, it's a medicine for when you're unwell. I don't think you'll gain weight solely on the basis of 1-2 syns worth of lemsip.

I'm old fashioned when it comes to over the counter medications like Lemsip ... my mother was a nurse and never had any truck with them - seeing them as overpriced and ineffective rubbish lol. Once you read the ingredients on any of these medications it becomes rapidly clear that she was right - they are just simple ingredients, packed with sugar and marketed very well.

The only parts of Lempsip (for example) which helpsyou feel better are the paracetamol (to bring down temperature), maybe a decongestant (for which a saline nasal spray will do the same job but with less damage to the mucous membranes) and caffeine (which is what things like Lemsip Max use to 'pep' you up). Over the counter cough medicine is completely ineffective (ask any doctor) ... coughs are generally virus based and will last for around 2 weeks whatever you do (though a humid atmosphere will help relieve them a little, so steaming over hot water won't hurt).

Sore throats are (literally!) a pain, but numbing spray will be far more effective in soothing them than sucking strepsils or halls etc (which basically just work by constantly lubricating the throat - no different than sucking any boiled sweet or by drinking lots of warm fluids).

Consequently I always treat cold symptoms with lots of fluids, paracetamol, steam and coffee Much, much cheaper for the same effect (and a lot less sugar :) )

I sometimes go for the Phenylepheprine as I really don't like anything going up my nose.
Major blockages I treat with Vicks Sinex spray and that opens the sinuses themselves rather than just the nasal passages. The side effect of this unfortunately is a bad sinus-ache for 10 mins but I will bear with that and have an entire day of being able to breathe through my nose.

Generally the remedies are more for making you feel a little better by treating the symptoms when you are feeling sorry for yourself rather than treating the illness specifically.

Times like these I feed a cold but rather than reaching for the rubbish which would lead to a gain, I try to get some sunshine on my plate by making my food as colourful as possible and as exotic as possible so the taste gets through even when most things taste like cardboard! :)

When im ill I have hot water, a tea bag, lemon and ginger works wonders x

Back