Green Day Lentil and Butternut Stew

Hi - I just had this for my dinner and it was really nice, so I thought I would share it with you.

I saw a recipe for "Thick Lentil Garlic and Butternut Stew" on the Waitrose website, and with a little bit of tweaking (ditching FOUR tablespoons of olive oil!) I ended up with a "free" meal.

The original recipe is here if you want to see it:
Thick lentil, garlic and butternut stew recipe - Waitrose.com

My version is as follows:
4 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed (didn't have any, used half a chopped onion instead)
5 tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped (could use some tinned)
200g red lentils
1 medium butternut squash cut into cubes
600 ml vegetable stock (made with Knorr Touch of Taste)

I halved this recipe and there is enough left over for tomorrow. It is very filling!

The original recipe says to fry the celery in the oil, and you could use Frylight, but I didn't bother. They suggest using 2 500g packs of Waitrose frozen butternut squash, which is easier and quicker, but I already had one in the vegetable tray so I used that.

I combined all the ingredients, with some seasoning, in my slow cooker and cooked it for about 6 hours on low. If you did it in a saucepan on the stove it would take about half an hour.

This is lovely on its own, but you could have it on a jacket potato, or with some rice, or with some cheese on top - whatever takes your fancy, really.

sounds a good one to try printed out for shopping list this week:D

I cooked this for dinner tonight. It's gorgeous! Plenty left over to take to work for lunch tomorrow. Yum! :D

Thanks for the recipe, avisk :clap:

Back