Lentil Soup with Ham Ribs

Hello all,
I'm about to make a pot of lentil and vegetable soup and I usually add some ham ribs for flavour. Last few times I have used fat free smoked bacon and ham stock cubes but it wasn't nearly as good as the flavour it gets from the ham ribs.
Just wondered if anyone can help me with how to syn these?
Technically it's just meat which is free and not a lot of actual meat comes off the bones. But I'm more concerned about any fat that might be melting into the soup?

The Slimming World website isn't very helpful... The closest match is 'Pork spare ribs with bone' - 8 syns per 100g. I don't know if ham ribs are something different though, as it's not something I've ever eaten.

Never heard of ham ribs. You could make sure you cut all visible fat off them before cooking.

Or, you could make the soup in advance, strain off the stock and chill it. Any fat will rise to the surface and set, and you can skim it off. Then you could put the lentils, etc., back into the stock and reheat. A bit fiddly, but you would still get the flavour without the fat. I always do this with chicken soup.

Back