Woke up depressed.............

kazd

Hi People

This morning, as in most mornings I woke up feeling very down. I am a very bubbly outgoing person but I always wake up the same way. Once up and about it goes.

Last year I had my blood sugars checked and they were high (6.6). The doctors then decided to do a glucose tolerance test, there was a gap of about three weeks and I went completely sugar free, in that time sugar levels dropped to 6.3 and then after I had the glucose and was tested again after 2 hours levels were 5.8 so yay not diabetic. However, dire warnings to sort myself out and lose weight (5'8" and 15st 7lb).

The point is during the sugar free period the depressed feeling in the mornings (immediately on waking) disappeared. I am convinced that sugar is the problem. Last night I had a reasonable dinner, chicken cashew curry (homemade) and brown rice. Then followed a dessert of sponge pudding and ice cream and then chocolate buttons in bed whilst reading. So quite a significant sugar hit, plus in the day I had a lemon muffin, hot chocolate. Lunch was okay that was homemade blended vegetable and lentil soup (with a couple of tsp's of half fat creme fraiche).

So a couple of questions, do you think sugar is causing the depressed mood in the morning. Bearing in mind once I get up and start moving it goes without eating or drinking I might add.

Second, breakfast this morning was jumbo oats with semi skimmed milk and a whole banana which I chopped up and cooked with the porridge in the microwave. I want to do Low GI/Low Sugar, will cooking the banana with the porridge have increased the sugar content. I wanted some sweetness but didn't want to add syrup or sweetner.

Your thoughts please, thanks in advance.

Back