lentils help needed!

emmabi

likes to eat!
Morning :D

I am intending to make the Spinach Dhal out of the Curry Heaven book, the ingredients lists dried yellow split lentils.

But I could only find red split lentils or yellow split peas. On the front of the packet of the yellow peas it says use in dahls, on the red ones use in soups...

Does anybody ave any idea which to use??!!! :confused::confused: Hope it isn't the yellow ones as they have to be soasked for 12 hours, grr!!!

Thanks

Emma x

Can you boil the split peas rapidly for a shorter period of time? I think you might be able to. Texture-wise I think I'd prefer the split peas to red lentils, as red lentils can turn to mush quite quickly.

Traditionally dahl is made with lentils. It will take on a texture a bit like mashed potato, but that's what it's supposed to do!

I'm not sure, the cooking instructions say:

Cover with cold water and allow to soak for 12 hours or overnight.
Drain and cover with fresh water
Bring to the boil and simmer for 30-40mins or until tender.

I might just soak them overnight and do it tomorrow.

Thank you x

I use yellow split peas as yellow lentils (they may actually be the same thing??) but they do need soaking. Boiling them still leaves them tough.

I have used red lentils in the past as they are quicker, they are great but don't cook them for too long or they will mush!

thanks all, have decided to make it tomorrow, and soak my peas overnight!

I never knew lentils could be so complicated!! x

You could always try to use the moong daal and it turns out really nice with spinach and you don't have to soak them overnight.

i cook the yellow lentils in a pressure cooker for approx 10 mins,(make sure u add lots of water to the pressure cooker) and i dont soak them first. they turn out soft.

the yellow split peas have the same texture to lentils. I use them often in soup etc, so I think they will be fine. You do normally have to soak them first though.

Back