Les Mills appreciation thread

Celine Dion?! Wow! They sure do pick some shockers on occasion don't they?!
Hope the new releases are good, am excited now! Just hope I can go this week - pulled a muscle in my back earlier in bodyconditioningthatwasactuallybootcamp, and it's still twinging a bit :(

Has anyone tried Bokwa yet? They started a class at my gym yesterday and I was going to go to attack a few mins early to watch the last of it to see what it was like, but ended up having a lazy day :)

Had a few tracks on Sat morn of the new release!! To be honest couldn't really remember the music but track 7 (i think) is full of roundhouse Knees.

Another track all i can remember is the amount of uppercuts on each arm (loads). Probably not a lot of help but i'm sure it'll be a challenge??

shaun

well just heard about the new releaes at the gym. apparently they arnt having them on a saturday morning (easier as its all 3 attack, combat and pump back to back) but instead are having the pump launch at 8.30pm on the monday, combat in the evening on the tuesday and attack is in the evening on the wednesday.

i cant make the pump launch, i woudlnt mind if i could drive home but when it finishes that late i dont feel safe walking home when its dark round where i live. the buses dont run often either, its like one every 45 minutes. i live 20 mins walk from the gym but im not comfortable walking home in the dark, its not a nice estate where i live :(

Wasn't very impressed with attact tonight. I don't usually do attack so thought I'd give it another go but didn't help that the instructors mic was on the blink so couldn't here her. Trying to watch but I felt I was always a step behind! Might just stick to combat and spin

Shaun

the instructor i go to alot just gives up on her mic. the gym dosent buy them when the old one dosent work, they leave it for the instructor to buy! luckily claires got a loud enough voice and uses pre cues before a move if she has no mic. often she has no mic during track 7 in combat...

on fridays class she went out to sort the air con, and left the track on. we just started the routine to it and she was very surprised when she got back in a few seconds. just stared for a bit then joined in! :p

With combat I can do it with eyes closed. Our usual instructor in combat doesn't usually use the mic but by god can she shout! This class was a one off at different gym. I'm a member of council run gyms between cambridge and peterborough. There are 3 gyms within the same district council but only one has started attack at present..

Perhaps it was just a bad night!

On another note gina b as you seem to be a fitness fanatic ;-). Have you ever been on one of the fitness fiesta weekends? One instructor was mentioning it and sounded quite good.. Again not sure as to how many blokes would attend?

Shaun

i havent! id love to try a fitness weekend though. not sure of it counts but i did attend a les mills weekend, only for the one day that it was open to the public though. think it was all the les mills programmes in one day apart from shbam and CXworks

now that the instructors have said, its officailly the first week in october that the new launches are in the gym i attend :D yay!

tonights attack and combat was ace, did a new combat mix. it was an old mix, earliest was from release 12 and newest was from 30!

Yeah, I asked on Tuesday and my gym is launching the new releases next weekend! My weekend off too, never been to a launch class before so may have to go!!
Also gonna try bokwa if I can drag myself out of bed for 9.15am on a Saturday!

Not sure when my gym is doing the release but for the past 3 weeks they have been doing the "mix and match" where just pick random tracks from old releases. Its surprising how much more challenging the class is. I've now committed as well to slimming world, first week 5.5lbs off so just gotta see how i go with 3-4 combat classes a week on slimming world.

Roll on the new release!!

when theres a new release they only use the full one for about 4 weeks then change it all! i still love the last combat release

Done the new release this morning. Pretty Good and lots of leg work. Not sure about "swagger jagger" track on the leg track, you'll be wanting to sing "Oh my darling, oh my darling valentine"!!! Leg track a challenge going from lunge, double knee and then front kick. You'll feel the burn!!!

Also seems a lot more uppercuts in this release..

Shaun

ooh looking forward to it!

did a mix of combat today, all tough tracks. not even an easy track at all.... i love frans sunday morning class for this reason! she never puts an easy track in.... made me go front row again too.

Done it again this morning. Track 6 swagger jagger again killed the legs. Track 7 is mostly roundhouse knees (loads of them) with a few descending and ascending arms. Track 8 starts off with a few jabs/crosses but then suddenly changes to alternating upper cuts and jabs/crosses. One other track before 6 you are upper cutting I think 32 on each arm.

Also done the class full of cold. Kill or cure.

Now sleep.

another one with a cold then! i had a pile of tissues by bag just incase.... best way to sweat it out.

the new launch posters are up now :D not long!

its not soon enough :(

just wondering at your gym do you have the instructors who do les mills who always go easy? just theres one at the one i go to, and well someone else covered it, both the attack and combat. a woman walked out of attack because it was too hard and energetic for her to keep up (she obviously hasnt heard of low impact options!) and loads were saying that combat was too hard too!
bugs me when people go to a class thinking it will be all easy work, whats the point if you dont find something hard? ive walked out of classes before but they have been the opposite, easy. and i did the high impact but the instructor chose all easy tracks and had about 5 mins break after each track. it was ridiculous.

My main gym the instructors seem more focused on technique etc and don't "offer" up any "options". But another leisure group of which i've purchased like 10 classes in one go, the instructor seems to integrate the class more and often says like if you miss a kick, cross, jab etc, never mind and take it a bit easy. But on the other hand he pushes people that want to be pushed! Obviously everyone's different and i can understand people finding combat/attack hard going, but you've got to give it a couple of classes. I've been to spinning classes and some women turn up with full make-up, eye lashes done etc and just toodle along and say what a wonderful class but unless i feel my heart pounding out of my chest then i feel a bit cheated!!! We did have a young, new spinning instructor once and he chose all his favourite music tracks (mostly 80s power ballads, which he sang along to (cheesey!!!) and the choice was terrible. His motivational "cues" were as cheesey as ever. Each track was short and just as you were getting going, it ended. It doesn't take a genius to work out what tracks to play when you are exercising, be it running, spinning etc. When a couple of us moaned about the new spinning instructor to other class members, they seemed to have a wonderful class and thoroughly enjoyed it. Couldn't have been the same class i was in lol

Funnily enough i was chatting to the instructor who integrates the combat class more and he was mentioning about where "gym instructors" move over to les mills classes to teach without doing the exercise to music qualification and a lot of them don't involve the class etc and i can see where he's coming from..

Shaun

Anyway, on another note. Slightly peeved with my gym as they have decided to move combat thursday night from 7.30 to 6.00 with no thought about people getting home from work. So that's one less class per week. And then they have just opened a leisure centre in my town which is linked with the membership etc to other council run gyms in the area and they have scheduled a lot of the classes starting again at 6.00. Quite a few people have complained!

Gina_b.. A question for you when you do combat and clothing. Have you ventured down the "venum" shorts look and gloves etc? Depending on which combat class and at what gym you get a few wearing the mma gear etc. I took a look in sports direct today and noticed in store they had some "tapout" shorts but the material was like sandpaper so i might look at venum, rdx. I think i'll draw the line at shorts with "bad boy" written down one side lol.

i have 3 pairs of venums! i have difficulty keeping them up though but thats my sizing issue and the fact i cant afford to buy any smaller sizes yet. all i do is turn down the waist band and they stay up.
great for combat though..... if you get white ones though, watch out if you sweat alot they go a little see through. i stick to black.
i dont wear gloves expect for body pump!

as for the 6pm classes, i wish more started at that time here. most are between 5 and 6 anyway, but theres some that i want to do but start at half 8 :(by the time they have finished and when ive caught two buses, waiting for them to arrive, to get back home its about half 10. leaves me too tired the next day at work so i cant do classes that finsih later than 8

Back