Lets talk about maintainence

LizzieB

Silver Member
Hey Guys,

The main thing that I am worried about for when i have hit my goal weight is can I maintain it? I know its a bit doom and gloomy to talk about this, but i am really worried that i will fall back in to my usual way of eating.

For all you maintainers out there, how did you beat the food addiction? I think this is my bigest problem, that i just want to eat for the sake of eating, not that I am eating for fuel... if you know what i mean

On lipotrim we dont get support form our chemists (well i dont) with being taught how to eat properly, and addressing food issues. Is there any advise people can give?

Thanks All :)

Hi Lizzie, I maintained from the beginning of November until this week (am SSing again to shift a bit more!) and had no problems at all. It all comes down to simple maths I'm afraid; if you eat more calories than you can burn off, you gain weight. It takes 3500 calories over your maintenance cals to gain a pound of fat. So, if you regularly eat over your maintenance cals you will gain. If you stick within your maintenance cals, you wont... simple!

I'm a member of Weight Loss Resources which has an online tool for inputting everything you eat each day. Sounds like it would take ages but in fact it only takes a few minutes. I think its worth it to make sure you dont put any weight back on...

Glad you brought this up Lizzib as I am scared also, I thought after this diet, I'd be able to eat a varied diet and not restrict anything like carbs etc, but I have read many peopel saying they are going to continue cutting out carbs. I had hoped I could be really really healthy mon to fri then come the weekend relax! Maybe not eh! How do you find out your maintenace cal allowance?!

Hi Lizzie,
I just bumped my maintenance post up to the top for you to read. I think it is great that you are already thinking about maintaining... My post is in the maintenance section titled my maintenance or maintaining my loss, hope you enjoy reading it.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, this makes me feel better. I already had a feeling it was going to be tough, but when i do start to maintain, i am just going to have fun with creating new healthy meals:) I am glad that we arent expected to deprive ourselves 100% of the time as I know i wont be able to do this!! I am going to start going to the gym too when i am closer to my goal to help with my maintainence!! :)

Glad you brought this up Lizzib as I am scared also, I thought after this diet, I'd be able to eat a varied diet and not restrict anything like carbs etc, but I have read many peopel saying they are going to continue cutting out carbs. I had hoped I could be really really healthy mon to fri then come the weekend relax! Maybe not eh! How do you find out your maintenace cal allowance?!

Yeah pineapple, i wanted to do the same thing (eating healthy in the week then relax on the weekend)... but on thinking about what i used to do before i started my diet, this is what i did anyway, so i need to make sure i can restrict what i do on the weekends!!!! BUT not restrict too much as this will just make me give up!

I dont think i can cut out carbs too much when i am maintaining, but if i count calories like duclutiva said (thanks :)), then it shouldnt matter too much about how much carbs we eat :)

ill tell you what i plan to do..ive taken a look at what people having been saying on here and i think its really down to calorie counting and keeping everything pretty low fat so ive armed myself with some new low fat calorie counted cookery books and im hoping to use those..of course im not sure what amount of calories ill be able to have once i get to my target weight, ive got to look that bit up yet but once i know...im hoping...that will work for me :) i think also drinking a lot of water still will help too...

h xx

I havent restricted my carb intake at all, and it hasnt been a problem - I have eaten very normally, just made sure I am within maintenance. The only place I know that you can work out your maintenance cals is on WLR, link in my previous post, but you can do a free trial so it wont cost you anything to find it out!

ACS :: Calorie Counter

Try this.

The only problem is, i have heard that your metabolism slows down if you have lost weight so you need less calories. Cant remember how much less. Something to do with your body wanting to hold on to your weight, so keeps more of the food you eat than a person who has never had weight problems.

thanks lizzie b...didnt know there was such a thing to calculate it :)

like you said, they give different amounts but both are over 2000 which is what they recommend as a standard figure to maintain your weight dont they...confusing lol

h xx

Is it over 2000 even for your goal weight?

Mine was 1800 to 1900, for when i get to my goal weight. I will prob aim for like 1700 and see if this maintains my weight! Hmm, i have a habbit of planning things too far in advance!!

Mine's about 1800. I did use WLR for the first few months after getting to goal, so that I could experiment with 'normal' portions, since I had no idea what one of them were:confused:

Glad I did.

I don't count anything now.

I did try doing the restricting on weekdays and 'enjoying' the weekend, but it was really tough. I decided that I really had to get to grips with my eating disorder or I would have to do that forever more. I really had to start 'being normal' again.

I can understand people not wanting to go that route. It's not exactly easy peasy either, but for me there wasn't really any option. I couldn't cope with the diet on/diet off syndrome any longer.

perhaps its calculated with height in mind too? dont know..im 5.7 so i suppose id need more? i dont know lol but yeah i was expecting it to be less i have to admit

h x

There was a study done and the average maintanace calories came out at 1700 for a group of people who had lost a considerable amount of weight. I think the best thing is be as enthusiastic about your maintaining as you are your losing - post just as much, talk about it just as much, think about it just as much - see it as the beginning of a new ''diet'' phase, just its one where you try and stay the same weight.

Yeah, Actually my goal is 10stone and i am 5'8 so its prob put me at a bit less than you if you have decided on a different goal :)

You did have the female option checked? Not the male?

just had a look at WLR but its not allowing any more free trials...great lol

i think ill take a look and see if i can find any other sites offering maintenance help...ill let you know

h x

hehehe yes i did! im aiming for 10 stone 3lb

h x

Back