Let's talk some numbers...

jarym

So I'm a numbers guy and this morning I felt like working out some numbers. More specifically I wanted to think more about calorie intake and expenditure.

I'd appreciate any views you guys have here, even if its an ass whipping.

So average woman requires about 2000 kcal of energy per day. If you want a closer approximation of your Basal Metabolic Rate check out WikiPedia for some forumlae or search google for an online calculator.

On Lipotrim you get around 450 creating a shortage of 1550 kcals a day. Over a week your 'average' woman will have a calorie deficit of 10 850 kcals

We know that 1 Kg of fat consists of about 7000 kcals. However, 1Kg of fat is not 1Kg of bodyweight - according to this its about 1.4Kg of bodyweight.

So 10850 / 7000 should give us the average fat loss - 1.55Kg. However, we have to multiply it by 1.4 to get the amount of bodyweight that might equate to. So the theoretical weight loss for an 'average' woman should be around 2.17Kg per week (or for those who prefer imperial - 4 lbs 12.5 ounces).

Now I've been nosy and been reading through most ppls weight loss records in their signatures and the common range of weekly loss seems to be between 3-7 lbs - which is spot on.

So what do we know? Well if I've not messed up my numbers then most people on this forum are 'average' calorie burners using about 2000 kcals / day.

What if you lose less than the average? Well it could be my poor maths but other explanations include:- having a lower BMR, dehydration, cheating with food or there may be some kind of medical explanation.

What if you lose more than the average? Well it could too be down to my poor maths but it might also be:- your body retained a lot more water which accounts for the bulk of the loss, possible loss of muscle mass, or that your BMR is higher than average (if it is then I'm jealous).

Is there anything we can do to increase the speed of weight loss?

Well we could jog, 30 mins of jogging each day might equate to about 2100 kcals or 0.3Kg of fat loss (0.42Kg of bodyweight) per week. Some people may claim that you continue to burn calories for a long time after cardio but this is disputed.

One other option is to increase muscle mass - 1Kg of lean muscle should add about 100 calories per day. Following a program like Body for Life you could add 5Kg (most people won't look bulky with 5Kg of extra muscle but it won't be easy to add that) which means your body will need about 3500 extra kcals a week or creating the potential for an extra 0.5Kg of fat loss (or 0.7Kg bodyweight) per week.

Of course, this is all too simplified and theoretical. If you did do significant levels of exercise (whether weights or cardio) you risk entering starvation mode and then you'll be up a certain creek without a paddle.

However, for those coming near the end of their diets and thinking of all the good food they know they should resist but are having trouble - do the numbers on weights and cardio and if you decide to go for it then it should allow you to eat some of those richer foods.

Last edited:
V quick response (and forgive me for skimming, another one of my many faults ;)) but, for a lot of people it's not simply a numbers game when it comes to being 'allowed' richer foods... a lot of overweight people are overweight because of emotional eating so those issues need to be addressed as well as the mathematics.

but an interesting read...

Wow. Were you bored this afternoon? LOL! Only kidding.
I got tied up in numbers when I was calorie counting. I had my BMR worked out, my burn, my deficit, all estimated according to various online calculators. I was losing NOTHING. Nada. Zilch. I went to my GP in despair, who in return referred me to a dietitian who put me on a 'diet' of 1500cals a day and exercise 3-4 times a week- I had been eating 1300-1400 and exercising 4-5 times a week with no results, but gave 'her way' a go anyway. After 3mths I weighed in 2lbs heavier than when I first saw her!

So my conclusion- my years of yo-yo dieting, my screwed up metabolism, and my underactive thyroid mean that numbers are meaningless to me! I was eating the 'right' foods, in the 'right' amounts, cooked the 'right' way, but something wasn't working right?! Just in my case though? It might work for others?

My losses on LT were cr*p, really. But at least I was losing something, and for that I was grateful!

V quick response (and forgive me for skimming, another one of my many faults ;)) but, for a lot of people it's not simply a numbers game when it comes to being 'allowed' richer foods... a lot of overweight people are overweight because of emotional eating so those issues need to be addressed as well as the mathematics.

but an interesting read...

Hiya,

You're correct. Weight management isn't 100% science - there's a lot of psychology in it too. Like the other day when the simple smell of someone cooking something special made me break lose and try it.

However, I put this together just so people can understand weight loss. I have read a few threads about people being disappointed by what they see is a small amount of weight loss and I'm hoping at my calculations might help people appreciate that the losses here are not small and they are realistically what the body will lose.

Wow. Were you bored this afternoon? LOL! Only kidding.
I got tied up in numbers when I was calorie counting. I had my BMR worked out, my burn, my deficit, all estimated according to various online calculators. I was losing NOTHING. Nada. Zilch. I went to my GP in despair, who in return referred me to a dietitian who put me on a 'diet' of 1500cals a day and exercise 3-4 times a week- I had been eating 1300-1400 and exercising 4-5 times a week with no results, but gave 'her way' a go anyway. After 3mths I weighed in 2lbs heavier than when I first saw her!

So my conclusion- my years of yo-yo dieting, my screwed up metabolism, and my underactive thyroid mean that numbers are meaningless to me! I was eating the 'right' foods, in the 'right' amounts, cooked the 'right' way, but something wasn't working right?! Just in my case though? It might work for others?

My losses on LT were cr*p, really. But at least I was losing something, and for that I was grateful!

I wasn't bored, I was actually frustrated because some know-it-all colleague of mine was insisting that the weight loss on LT was not healthy and sustainable (despite him not knowing anything of the diet). I just had to sit down and work it out.

Anyway, doing the numbers at least pinpoint where the fault was in your case - you were eating the right stuff in the right quantities and it didn't work. At least following the numbers might have given you some reassurance that you did everything right and that you're not a failure for finding it difficult (not saying you felt that but I know some people who do).

Thanks for that Jarym! I'm a 'words' person! I hate numbers but I understood your post and I appreciate your intentions as I have been saying the same thing myself (not as technical as yourself of course!)

I was told the expected weight loss for ladies is between 3-5lbs per week. To me that is great, I would be more than happy with a 3-4lbs loss weekly.

I also agree with Elle Emm. You'll find a lot of people turn to food for comfort and don't use it as a fuel, so they'll not be interested in the science of it in times of stress. They need to firstly address the psychological issues. Sadly it's not as simple as a numbers game - calories in/energy out.

Thanks for that Jarym- very interesting reading!! I always had a rough idea that to lose a pound of fat would require a calorie deficit of 3500 calories a week for a woman or you would have to burn that off!

I would say my average losses are 3-4lbs a week, but I have decided to not weigh in for a month since being so close to goal so would have to divide the last 4 weeks (on sept 29th) to find out what my average loss has been.

I am also interested in the fact that the more muscle mass you have the more efficient you are at burning calories, and have been tracking my body fat percentage on this programme aswell. It makes sense that when we come off the diet to build muscle mass and trim fat, so our bodies are better fuel burners- not everyone will be the same- but its a good idea. Im quite lucky as I build muscle and lean mass easily- shame I gain fat easily aswell!

I want to find out my bmr now!
Thank you :)

thanks Jarym

I find it helpful to know what my body is upto!! I don't always understand the numbers but had done a simplified version for myself and had calculated that with the defecit calories I should be losing at least 4lbs (which was one reason I was disappointed losing 3lbs two weeks in a row)

Very helpful post- cheers

x

thanks Jarym

I find it helpful to know what my body is upto!! I don't always understand the numbers but had done a simplified version for myself and had calculated that with the defecit calories I should be losing at least 4lbs (which was one reason I was disappointed losing 3lbs two weeks in a row)

Very helpful post- cheers

x

Hi Determined Girl, I hope you now have reason not to be disappointed in future - there are too many variables including some which can't be worked out easily (psychological).

Every week that goes by where you succeed in any bodyfat loss it is a success.

Well at least you have supplied the background to the LT blurbs and put to bed the argument of your friend. Agree with all that has been said in earlier posts.

Very interesting and useful post, thanks for that. I had only just found out about the muscle/calorie burning thing too.
If you look at my losses, I seem to go on a 4lb loss trend every now and again, which is great, especially as I am so close to finishing. Would also love to know what my BMR is, and also very apprehensive about how my body will react when food is introduced!!

wow I got dizzy reading those numbers but funny enough I actually kept up with you :)

I think there are alot of factors such as when they had the weigh in, did they have a shake or drink water before they got weighed, totm for the ladies is an issue, if they are not able to go toilet etc etc.

Everyone is different as we always say, I personally go by how I feel and look in the mirror. The loser my clothes are the better I look and feel.

hey, great post hun.

i see weight as numbers, i do alot of activity so need 2800 calories a day to maintain so hopefully will lose quite a few pounds a week. lost a stone last week, was my first week though.

x x

Hey Jenny, if you're in need of 2800 calories a day I reckon you should speak to Lipotrim and get some advice. Bear in mind the mens sachets contain a few extra calories and men have an average daily requirement of 2500. If you're on the womens LT and your body has significantly higher than average energy requirements you risk cannibalising muscle & messing up your metabolism.

I'm no expert so I don't know all the risks (if any at all), just concerned - hence why I recommend you seek advice from Lipotrim. For an average woman LT would provide around 23% of their energy requirements; it would provide you just 16% based on your calorie expenditure...

hey jarym, thanks for the concern hun. spoke to pharmacist and she said it was fine as long as i had enough energy, i got loads, think LT has turned me into the energizer bunny,lol.
i just love being active, cant think of anything worse than sitting on my bum all day, need to be at the gym, swimming etc.
im gona see what my weight loss is next week before i decide to slow up the exercise. some people think my body might go into starvation mode so we'll see. if i lose 4lbs i'll be happy and carry on as normal.

i use to be a personal trainer/boxercise instructor and was on the go all day. then a bad car crash happened and 2 many lbs lol. gona. trying to get back there now im recovered.

x x

Back