Let's try this again

Yeah I thought that myself C, I definitely feel I'm "coming together" more nicely with the exercise and I'm definitely getting some nice happy buzz from actually doing something physical to help me along so I'm going to try not worry about the scales too much, at least for another week :D

Exercise makes me gain weight, always has. 3lbs is amazing xx

It's a tricky one with the exercise and the scales. I think they key thing to remember is that exercise is good for you, and for any muscle you can gain, you will burn more calories even when you sleep.

I think it's about the composition of your body. I don't just want to weigh less, I want less fat and more lean muscle tissue.

Also remember that your muscles retain additional water after you work them out, so any negative effect on the scale will likely be temporary. If this is demotivating to you, start measuring yourself instead.

As I am doing 100% vlcd I am not exercising at the moment, but intend to once I start refeeding if I make it that far :)

Well I've taken lifestyle to the absolute extreme the past two days. I had a feeling I would because I had things on and intended having lifestyle days but definitely went way over the top!!

I'm not going to beat myself up though because I'm still raring to go and still in ketosis though I'm not expecting a great result on the scales next week :(

Yeah the exercise is a weird one alright, I think once I'm enjoying it I'll keep at it, really annoying how it doesn't reflect on the scales though!!x

My God I cannot believe how difficult it is to pick yourself up when you fall on this diet!
It's exactly a month until I go to Liverpool so I've have decided to drag myself up and be positive and confident that I'll do the next month blip free!! The scales are reading the same as when I weighed on Wednesday so that's definitely good news as I could still possibly lose something.

I have to do a mountain clear out today because my dad has to move some stuff into my place. That should keep me occupied and I'm going to put off having first shake for as long as possible!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

Yes it's tough, tough, tough but certainly not impossible for smart women like us :) And a month could be a nice chunky stone with 100%. I always think that's not much but when you see the before and after pictures it can make a big difference.

Enjoy your clear out - I find it hard to start but once I do can really get on a roll. I think it's a really helpful thing for our mental health.

Oh my head is totally back in the game thank gawd!! My belly just has to catch up :eek:
Exactly what I was thinking and 1st 3lbs would bring me to exactly 4st gone which would feel absolutely amazing!!

I'm seriously determined now and really glad I have the day to get my place in order and get rid of all the clutter, I'm going to go for a nice long walk later too as (I hate to say it) but it's really nice not to have my little girl pulling out of me I want to relish it. She's such an amazing kid and our bond is really something else but she's gone so physically clingy it's nice to just be my own body today!!

My "rules" for the coming four weeks are, packs ONLY with the exception of a handful of baby spinach in Spal Bol to keep things moving ;) and I'm going to keep up my exercise regardless of how it affects the scales because it really boosts my mood and makes me feel I can achieve that "peace" eventually.x

I had a week or so off and to be honest because it wasn't planned I could not wait to get back on plan. I was poorly so I had no appetite anyway but I had no desire to cheat or go completely crazy. What I'm struggling with now is boredom. I'm bored of the packs. I am painfully aware my diet became awfully boring and bland lol
Hopefully getting back on track won't be too hard for you in the end.

M x

Ah welcome back Slim I was wondering where you'd gone!!
Having time off reminds me so much of when I started smoking, at first you don't even particularly want to, then you kinda force yourself to be a bit bold and make the most of your time off and then comes a point where it's really hard to stop even though not enjoyable!

I'm back on completely and I'm feeling really good now. I've organised all my packs in a four drawer shelf for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.
What I find absolutely gorgeous is orange sugar free jelly with a thick hot chocolate shake with two sweeteners poured over it!

It's a lovely sunny morning here on the emerald isle :)

I've done absolutely no exercise since Wednesday and I miss it! Scales haven't budged since either which is no surprise after what turned into 3 lifestyle binges. But what I have noticed is how much easier it seemed to get back on track because it was low carb, more assurance to me that low carb really is the way to go for me. I wish I had a better understanding of it all though, in the most basic terms all I can describe it as is that when I eat lots of refined carbs and sugar then it makes me pretty out of control with food and too much of certain foods make me really tired and it's a vicious cycle that becomes really hard to break. If anyone could point me in the direction of reading material that'd be great!!

Hope everyone had a lovely day!

Ok I will do my best to explain the blood sugar thing. The ideal for blood sugar is to have a balanced level with not too many peaks and troughs. When you eat refined carbs and sugar the blood sugar peaks and we feel fine immediately but the body recognises that this is not a healthy state and releases a lot of insulin to bring down the sugar levels in the blood. But the levels don't just come back to normal they come crashing down and that's when we feel weak and dizzy and frankly quite hungry because our body is trying to bring things back to normal. That is what leads to that feeling that we just have to eat or we will be ill. If we have food or a meal that has a low glycaemic load (which means it affects blood sugar less) then it will not cause the highs and subsequently the lows. I can explain this much better visually with a bit of paper and a pen but I hope that makes sense. The tiredness comes from the crash so the body has no energy and just craves more. Over time the cells become less sensitive to insulin, which is what happens in Type 2 Diabetes

What that means for food is that we can still have something sugary occasionally but if we want to avoid it spiking blood sugar then we should have it with some protein or fat. eg fruit with yoghurt or cheese or as part of a meal. Fibre will also slow the release of sugars down - hence why we can tolerate less refined carbs.

Clearly I'm not a doctor and this comes from what I remember from my nutrition training. If anyone who knows more has corrections then please add. The advice however from an anecdotal point of view really works. Just hard to avoid that breakfast pain au chocolat which then leads to a day of peaks and troughs.

Found this too that may be helpful but it's also worth subscribing to the newsletters. I find them really interesting and useful. I've downloaded his book but haven't started it yet. Study links blood sugar imbalance with increased appetite | Dr Briffa's Blog - A Good Look at Good Health

Aw I could just hug you!! What did we all do to deserve such a patient knowledge person to be on this "journey" with us!! You're an absolute star thanks so much, it makes perfect sense to me now. I've really been abusing my body for a long time, that "need" to eat (rubbish mostly) or I'd be ill!! Totally me and it was getting more and more frequent!

Will definitely subscribe to that, sorry I'm milking your wealth of information now but what diet would you recommend in my case? I know low carb but there are so many and I'm nervous of going it alone without an actual diet!

Did a reply last night and then lost it and then decided on an early night.

Glad my explanation made sense. It's 10 years since I qualified and I wonder sometimes if I still have all the facts. The good thing is we are not lazy, greedy or out of control but slaves to the chemistry of our bodies and the best news is we can break free.

I have so many ideas about the diet to follow. I don't think we should probably eat white flour, potatoes or sugar ever again but I'm not sure that is practical. I think the way I am going to try and do it is do my old Lighter Life Route to Management. The first few weeks are probably similar to a Lifestyle day on SnS and then adding in more carby vegetables in later. Then some grains. I'm going to take it really slow. I think there is a point where I know I should stop as in the diet is carby enough for me. Beyond that I think it's about allowing the occasional treat. Ie a piece of the fabulous cakes that may colleague makes on someone's birthday but not one of the Sainsbury's doughnuts that someone left by the kettle on a rainy Wednesday morning!! A pain au chocolat savoured on a Sunday morning when I go to my friends' house in France is worth it - a Tesco one snaffled on my way to work, with another in my bag for later is probably not. Likewise a fabulous Easter Egg from Hotel Chocolat rather than 20 cream eggs and limitless hot cross buns in the run up (my absolute downfall - spicy fruity bread) Really enjoying food and giving it it's proper place rather than stuffing it down because I'm afraid of what happens if we don't. Also understanding that if I've eaten that amazing thing, I might want more and making sure I have a grounding protein based meal and get back to my own way of eating. It's a bit like having a day off on this diet - there is a cost so hopefully we will reach a point where many things are not worth it.

So generally good clean eating and only treats so fabulous I'd want to take a photograph!!!

And I am learning so much from all this too. Questions like this really prompt me to think and reflect. It's a long haul with a lot of effort but it's got to be better than being big and unhealthy. And I'm glad I lost my reply - loads more thoughts came to me this morning.

Have a brilliant day!! :)

Oh you've such a wonderful way with words, everything you've said totally resonates with me!! The amount of times I would have that one really fabulous meal out, amazing dessert or beautiful buttery pastry for a breakfast treat on holiday that it would be impossible to regret, but I then end up trying to recreate that same "lust" with a stale old tesco pastry numerous times after, ruining the initial delight completely!

Thanks so much for taking the time out to give such a warm, in-depth response!x x

I'm so excited!!! I've booked a holiday for myself and my little girl for the end of May to Majorca!

Such incentive to keep going now though I'll have my break for Liverpool I'm really going to try not let that turn into a week long binge!

I have loads of size 16 holiday clothes, it would be a dream if they fit but I'm not sure, I'm a 20 now!

Back