Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Monday 13th Jan

Thank F for that!!

Its back. The mojo that is. I can just feel it, I'm not feeling all deprived and sulky any more. It may well be too late for this weeks wi but i'll do all I can. The post Xmas slump hit my attitude BAD. Now I feel better and brighter. Whoop.

Good for you :)

Monday 13th Jan Thank F for that!! Its back. The mojo that is. I can just feel it, I'm not feeling all deprived and sulky any more. It may well be too late for this weeks wi but i'll do all I can. The post Xmas slump hit my attitude BAD. Now I feel better and brighter. Whoop.

Good stuff!!!

Please send some mojo vibes my way ;)

Oh Sam thats fabulous!
Thats your karma back atchya! (Brought a tear to my eye btw) :bighug:

Lets hope its infectious and fingers crossed for WI xxxxxx

Ahh thanks guys. Sorry to have been so so quiet. Been fighting that internal demon a bit the last week or so and I'm not kidding when I say I have been like a petulant child that's been deprived of a favourite toy. Except my toy is food. We all know the beauty of SW is that we don't feel deprived and that's the weirdest thing about my psychological makeup and my relationship with food because I'm not deprived but I was making myself think that I was in order to almost force a sabotage. Bizarre really.

Anyway the B&@£h is back...yay x

oh and Kimberley? No worries lovely :) I hope it helps x

Ahh thanks guys. Sorry to have been so so quiet. Been fighting that internal demon a bit the last week or so and I'm not kidding when I say I have been like a petulant child that's been deprived of a favourite toy. Except my toy is food. We all know the beauty of SW is that we don't feel deprived and that's the weirdest thing about my psychological makeup and my relationship with food because I'm not deprived but I was making myself think that I was in order to almost force a sabotage. Bizarre really.

Anyway the B&@£h is back...yay x

oh and Kimberley? No worries lovely :) I hope it helps x

WHOOP WHOOP SHE'S BACK... Good on you x

Yay. Glad your back at fighting level xxx

Only too true!! In the past that would have signalled "Sam gives in".

Tuesday 14th Jan

The wide abyss

No it's not a euphemism. I am casting myself onto minimins mercy and I have canceled my extortionate online membership effective 9th Feb. I kind of feel and certainly hope that the weight tracking stats and the support on here is more than sufficient to succeed and that paying £20 pm just to use the app to track my foods is a little excessive in this climate of austerity.
Ill spend a portion of that first £20 saving on a nice notebook instead and bug you guys for answers to all my queries.

I hope I've done the right thing. I really do.

I do it online aswell, the only thing I use really is the features and put my weight in each week. Mines due 2nd feb, not sure what to do. My bday is 9th feb :)

I just think the payments being the same as meetings is awful. I get my support from here as they don't even have a dedicated forum for that money. I literally use the food diary and that's it. I'll buy the mag for features and recipes that I can't find on here.

Its interesting that you have thought about it too Rae Rae. What's holding you back? For me it felt like a big step and cutting myself adrift. I was also concerned about losing my history and my progress graph but then I thought, well look to the left, it's all on here, awards and all.

I love SW but the online service, for what you pay, is poor. Luckily I signed up for the top membership on a deal so have the books and have downloaded e copies as word docs to my kindle. I'm hoping I'm good to go!!

oh and happy birthday for the 9th!! Xx

Thank you.

I bought my books off ebay before I started as didn't know if sw would be for me so after 4 weeks of doing it alone, I joined online. I don't think you should have to pay the first 3 months in advance tho as it does work out expensive. I don't think I could go to a group tho especially with the shifts I work so doing it online is easier and can use the syn checker when out and about but that's about it really xx

If you look at the stickies there is a excel spreadsheet on one for tracking. It's far better then the website, graphs and projection on it are ace.

Ooh ta I'll check that out!

I just thought that £20 was too much for a food diary. I'm so up to speed with what I eat that I rarely use the syn checker any more. I, too, can't make meetings weekly so online was good to kick start me for the last 7 months. Now I'm going it alone!

It's scary out here, in the real world **clutches her food optimising book for comfort**

Last edited:
I used to go to class in the UK. When I moved out here 5 years ago, clearly class was not a possibility, so I investigated the on-line option, and just felt it was a rip-off. I think SW has it's pricing policy wrong there TBH. It's perfectly possible to go it alone, and you will find a huge amount of info on Minimins - plus other sources. If you don't eat ready-meals, the online syn directory is not really necessary for you. Good luck out there - it's really quite safe!

Thanks guys that's really reassuring. I rarely eat anything processed these days with the exception of ham and quorn sausages. I'm going to take screen shots of my "favourites" in my food list so things I have synned I will have at hand.

Like you say seacrest, the pricing for online is all wrong, either that or the offering for the money is. I can't decide which tbh.

I'm another one who started off with online membership but have lost most of my weight as a DIYer. I agree online membership is poor value for money - the automated responses annoyed me rather than helped. If you join a group and reach target then you get free membership as long as you weigh in at least once a month and stay within target range, whereas there is no equivalent for online members and you don't appear to be able to request a transfer to a group once you have reached target should you wish to continue to be able to buy recipe books etc. I can understand some people would fiddle this but there must be a way round it, perhaps by supplying a copy of photo ID when you start which must also be given to the consultant on transfer to the group - a quick check at HQ would verify that the two match.

It IS possible to DIY and the support on Minis is great. You've often checked Syns for people and as Issy as said, I'm sure someone will return the favour should you need it.

You are determined, be prepared to accept blips along the way and you will succeed.

It does seem a little off that we get none of the benefits of meetings like that and all of the cost. No free membership, no nothing. Makes me feel more certain that I did the right thing. Really this place does more for me than having the app. I'm sure there are good food diary apps I can download for free so I will be fine :)

Back