Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Is that why it's called Black Friday? ;) it never crossed my mind but I suppose if you are not at where you want to be by now then some may see it as pointless to hang on over December with all its festive frivolity and Christmas cheer.

Lucky for me the temptation is pretty much non existent. At least I think lucky for me.... :s

I was thinking the same! I suppose they'll be lots and lots joining in January for new years resolutions etc.

I have changed my wi from thurs to wed so I weigh in Christmas morning. If I can get into the 13s by then it will be an amazing Christmas present and I'll be less tempted to ruin it all!!

I'd been umming and arring on what to do with the xmas period. Even back in August when I first started trying to lose weight I said I was having a week 'off' at xmas and up until now I had been adamant I would eat what I wanted.

Now though, am worrying about how much damage I can do in a week (probably lots) and I reallywant to be as close to 2 stone down as possible before holiday at end of January. Maybe I will just take the xmas three days off? I know hubby has bought me something from hotel chocolat. I am sure there are lots of SW ways I can do things for the dinner that I won't notice but will help keep syns down.

I'm also married to a skinny person who eats too much of everything I can't.........just listening to what he has eaten in a day makes me put on a pound ;)

I'm being realistic and although I don't plan to go mental I will have Christmas Day and Boxing Day "off" in that ill cook sensibly (prefer that anyway) but won't restrict amounts and if I want chocolate I will flipping well have some. I won't count syns for two days but will build in a control with healthy cooking and having a wide variety of veg.

Im actually quite pleased to be able to be controlled enough on a day to day basis that having a couple of relaxed days feels like a treat rather then the norm it would normally be. It's also amazing that I trust myself enough now to do it!! I feel I have come a long long way!!!

Really, well done on feeling as if you are now in control. Thats an achievement regardless of the great weight loss you're having.

I'm on holiday for 2 weeks over Xmas, driving back to the uk, & staying in a hotel. We've already booked good restaurants for most of the evenings, and I do intend to enjoy the food - and wine. I can leave the chocolates, and even the desserts usually, but the cheese - oh the cheese - that's my downfall! Anyway, I reckon on about an 8 lb gain over that 2 weeks, which is why I really really want to get as low as possible on the scales ahead of that!

Damage limitation is a must for us all then! If I can get comfortably into the 13s then having a couple of days off shouldn't do too much damage hopefully. Your Christmas sounds nice, I'd love to eat out all over Christmas! My main concern is the mild niggly doubt that I will reign it in the day after Boxing Day. I do trust myself but I know how hard it can be. We are not planning to have too much in the way of naughties in the house and are rarely given them as presents so unless any students present me with the obligatory celebrations that I can 'lose' in the staffroom I should be boringly safe!!

I spent all of my ironing time working out how to do dinner as low syn as possible - trimming bacon, using joes sausages etc and I then realised, right at the end, that xmas dinner is at my mums this year! I might still do them so I feel like I have done something to be good but the rest will be up to her!

I think it's the cakes that will do me, chocolate I try to manage into my syns each week but I have completely weaned myself from cake and it was HARD. I always have jam roly poly and ice cream for dessert and I have been looking forward to it for so long I am still having my treat.

Omg jam roly poly and ice cream!!! That sounds immense. I may have to make one now!! Mmmmm

I'm intending to stay firmly on plan all over Christmas ... Christmas day should be easy as it's only myself, hubby and our 20 year old son. Smoked Salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast and I'll do dinner SW style for me (we always have loads of veg anyway) and just add stuffing/pigs in blankets for them. Simple lemon meringue for dessert as it's my husband's favourite and a small slice for me is only 81/2 syns :)

Then we have the rest of the children and grandchildren descending on Boxing Day ... I'll do a buffet with lots of healthy salads, cold meats, smoked salmon and pickles for me and breads, nibbles, cheese, pastries, desserts etc for everyone else. Hopefully I'll be able to resist the naughty bits while they are there (the littles are a fabulous distraction :D ) and then I'll send them all home with food parcels to get it out of the house ;-)

I don't drink anyway so that temptation isn't there for me thank heavens and everyone has been very firmly asked not to give me anything edible as gifts.

Fingers crossed I don't slip up ... so far I've not even been tempted but I always feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop if that makes sense? Like I'm going to wake up one day and not be in control anymore ... does that make sense?

I totally get that. Almost as if its not possible to be that good all the time and you are always waiting for yourself to slip up. Like you don't quite trust yourself. I am the same. Its funny I never thought of it like that until you said it!! Much like how I feel confident enough to have the two days off but have that niggle that I may not reign it in. Although I know I will. But what if I can't. But I can. What if I don't? But I will....and so on!!

I don't drink either so that's one less temptation. I couldn't imagine doing this if I was a drinker. If I were Id stop as I couldn't justify drinking my syns!!!

I completely agree with what all of you have said, I feel the same!
Sometimes I feel like it's an actual addiction that I'm trying to give up, no different to smoking/drugs or whatever in the sense of in my 'recovery' or diet as it were can I trust myself to just have a bit or even be around it.
You ladies all sound a lot stronger than me right now & I'm going for the avoid it all together approach haha

I'm not a drinker either, thank goodness, otherwise I'd be massive - and poorer!

Regarding Christmas and holidays in general, I've worked on the basis that a few days (or even weeks) off seems to shock my body and if I get back on plan the weight gained (and more) soon comes off. The trick for me seems to have a definite day in mind as to when I get back on plan and this is normally when I go back to work. If I'm honest, I often end up getting back on plan a bit sooner as my body has had enough of the richer or unhealthy stuff.

I'm sure we'll all be helping each other to get losing again in the New Year!

I declare here and now, that I WILL be back on plan no later than Thursday 2nd January.

Subscribing, love your diary :)

I totally agree that sometimes a few days off or maybe just the one really works to give my body the kick up my bum it needs. Otherwise it starts to slow. Like it needs reminding that you are not depriving it of all that's good and sugar laden in this world.

Much like how I feel confident enough to have the two days off but have that niggle that I may not reign it in. Although I know I will. But what if I can't. But I can. What if I don't? But I will....and so on!!

Yes, that's it exactly!! It's horrid and I wouldn't wish it on anyone but, on the other hand, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Lishaa I'm going for the avoid altogether approach too :)

I can understand this. The worst situation for me is to be sitting round a table, with food on 'free' supply, as I just can't stop myself eating, way beyond when most people have stopped. I have asked my OH to actually stop me, as this works for me. Also, I do drink, and once Ihave had a couple of glasses of wine, any resolve I have disappears! Chees is my weakness, though Christmas cake will be making an entry also!

2 weeks in a hotel & restaurants will be fine - by the end of that time, I will want to get back on plan. I don't eat junk food at any stage, and eat tons of fruit and veg because I actually like it, so all is not lost, even over a 2 week holiday!

It is bloody hard though, and I'm certainly no angel, even on the best of weeks....
:Christmas02r:

I love cheese. I'd choose it over sweet stuff any day of the week. I was thinking about this earlier and realised that the reality is we won't have all that much in the house that I can go crazy on. We don't do crispy type snacks. DD is allergic to peanuts so they are out. There may be a small amount of chocolate and cheese around but if that's the worst I have then so be it. Christmas dinner will be done the SW way because thats how we like it. What's the point in going all out if you are happy with what you have? Yay slimming world. You have totally
converted us!! :)

Back