Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Just curious guys, what makes you decide to be a vegetarian/vegan? Xx

Good question

ethics first, health benefits are a bonus. I watched "Vegucated" on Netflix. Never ate meat again!

Id be interested in your response if you do :) overall its a fascinating experiment about food but it really opened my eyes to production processes and I couldn't in good conscience carry on. I gave it up there and then. Literally cold turkey. Oh the irony.

I can't speak for others but my decision to wind down to veganism by the new year is partly for the same reasons and partly due to see in the health benefits of no meat and wanting to maximise that. I have learnt so much this year about food and nutrition and think the time is right. I will be a dietary vegan so will still wear leather etc.

Id be interested in your response if you do :) overall its a fascinating experiment about food but it really opened my eyes to production processes and I couldn't in good conscience carry on. I gave it up there and then. Literally cold turkey. Oh the irony. I can't speak for others but my decision to wind down to veganism by the new year is partly for the same reasons and partly due to see in the health benefits of no meat and wanting to maximise that. I have learnt so much this year about food and nutrition and think the time is right. I will be a dietary vegan so will still wear leather etc.
Good luck to you if that's what you decide to do, I admire your ethics :)
If I watch it I'll be sure to let you know what I think :)
How about things like wine? I've heard that even some wines and other things that you would assume to be vegetarian/vegan are actually not! (I don't actually drink wine I'm just interested lol) xx

I don't drink really so it's not a major concern but I think there are different factions of veganism as there are with vegetarianism. You can have lacto-vegetarianism (has dairy but not eggs), ovo-vegetarianism (the opposite), pescatarian (eats fish), veganism and so on. I think its a personal choice how far you go to avoid exploitation of animals. Many vegans don't eat honey for example but to my mind that's not the same as drinking milk that comes from cows allowed to calf and then have their babies taken at hours old simply to stimulate an increase in milk production. I have already cut eggs right down and the only dairy I have is the occasional bit of cheese. I'll wean myself off those and cut the quorn to avoid eggs. Once I've done that I may or may not go further. It's all quite personal choice and I don't think there are any rights or wrongs :)

Our tastes and ideals change just like everything else I suppose :) everyone has their own reasons for their choices. People often see vegetarians and vegans as a bit holier than thou but I'd never be like that, my daughter still eats meat, so does my husband (but to much lesser degrees than he used to!) and I still cook it for them and am not snobby or squeamish about doing so. As long as each individual is content then that's what matters :)

Our tastes and ideals change just like everything else I suppose :) everyone has their own reasons for their choices. People often see vegetarians and vegans as a bit holier than thou but I'd never be like that, my daughter still eats meat, so does my husband (but to much lesser degrees than he used to!) and I still cook it for them and am not snobby or squeamish about doing so. As long as each individual is content then that's what matters :)
Yeah I totally get you, thanks for taking the time to answer. Hope works going ok for you anyway , if u ever need a place to vent or anything feel free to msg me :) xx

When I drink I have Lyme Bay wine.:) All the ingredients are suitable for vegetarians and coeliacs. All natural ingredients and are free from GMO's.
Ah I see, that's great that they have a wine like that. I think I might have a sensitivity to gmo foods as I seem to get bad stomach pains and bloated after eating things like Chinese food & mcdonalds food. Xx

Apparently it grows wild. But if you can't find it I found this

Buy Horseradish Roots| Grow Horseradish Plants | Horseradish For Sale

Perfect - and they sell Kohl Rabi seed too! :D I feel an agricultural frenzy coming on (fortunately my - somewhat rural - school also had compulsory Rural Science on the curriculum. We even had our own mini farm at the school lol)

OH's birthday next week.This is going to be his dessert.Not going to tell him whats in it.:D

Raw sweet kale cheesecake recipe | The Rawtarian

That actually looks amazing ... so pretty! have you downloaded the recipe, I think I'd like to try that - depending on what's in it I might even be able to portion so that the cashews count as Healthy Bs. So much nicer than SW desert recipes! I think my sister (who is addicted to kale smoothies AND cashews lol) might like it too :D

Last edited:
That looks AH-mazing. Wow. Who knew raw foods could be so very appealing!!! Let us know how it's received. I might try it out I think!! Yum!

Last edited:
Oh I don't know ... the kale, lemon juice and salt are OK ;) Thanks for that :D I think I'll make it anyway - have a play with the HE allowance portion wise, tweak the banana and syn the oils - my sister does SW too, lol, but like us isn't averse to using her HExs on good fats that aren't technically on plan and mixing and matching SW principles with a bit of overall daily calorie counting so she'll be game for trying it :)

Hmmm ... what gadget did you use? I did sign up for the recipe emails lol and it does say to keep adding kale/spinach until you get the right colour (but to keep tasting it as you go to make sure it doesn't start to taste too 'green'). I quite like the speckled look though - it looks like mint choc chip ice cream :D

Yay!!! :D Jack Monroe has a new cookbook out! and there's a special feature in today's Graun which I'm going to share because two of these are definitely do-able as vegan recipes :party0011: Five recipes from Jack Monroe

That woman is one of my all time heroines! :D and the new book is deffo going on my Christmas list, right now

Its on my list for Santa :) if I can wait that long!! She's amazing!

It's pretty cool he liked it. My husband is very unadventurous :( it's taken YEARS to get spices into him haha

Back