Lighter life? Err, what?

Lighter life is a minimum calorie diet.

You start by drinking nothing but water (and I think unsweetened black tea) and having 3 shakes a day.

Later in the programme you can have bars etc

Side effects can be headaches, lethargy and bad breath (I've even heard it said that it can cause gall stones because of the extreme sudden weight loss).

I lost a stone in 2 weeks but couldnt keep it up as it was costing me a fortune and affecting my job/home life

Chris
thanks so much for the speedy reply! After I posted here I You tubed it and they make it sound so appealing! I guess the best way to get rid of the pounds is the tried and trusted way, healthy eating.
I did notice though that Pauline Quirke ( she now of Emmerdale fame) started in January and is two dress sizes lighter!
All these quick loss schemes cost a lot of money, I'd rather save my pennies for pretty dresses when I reach my goal!
Thanks Chris.
Anna
x

I did notice though that Pauline Quirke ( she now of Emmerdale fame) started in January and is two dress sizes lighter!

Really? I haven't seen her in anything in ages, I didn't know she had been on LL and would be interesting to see how her figure has changed!

All these quick loss schemes cost a lot of money, I'd rather save my pennies for pretty dresses when I reach my goal!
Thanks Chris.
Anna
x

It does sound like a lot of money - I am on the Cambridge diet which is the same as Lighter Life only it's about half the price and has much greater variety and choice of flavours, and you don't have to attend freaky "group therapy" sessions with strangers (you do with LL).

It costs around £39 per week. I worked it out in my head and as I no longer buy ANY food or ANY wine for the duration of the diet, I figure that by sticking to the diet I am probably saving around £30 - £40 a week.

The £39 a week that I currently spend on my Cambridge foodpacks I would have easily spent just on wine alone! :eek: And then I would have been buying all my food - my meals and snacks and drinks throughout the day, totalling maybe £5 - £9 per day ... and maybe with the odd takeaway or dinner out thrown in - costing maybe an extra £10-£15... until you sit down and think about how much you spend on food and drinks you don't realise how much it all adds up, and how much you'd actually be saving on a total meal replacement plan!!

Rorah when you add it all up I guess it does amount to quite a lot! I guess because I'm new to * what's on offer out there* I'm trying to do it by just eating healthily and my GP gave me xenical because my BMI was in the obese category.
It's lovely that my clothes don't feel so tight and I'm enjoying the walking I do each night.
Ever onward!
( I will be having my weekly treats tonight mind you lol. It is Friday, after all :) xxx

Chris
thanks so much for the speedy reply! After I posted here I You tubed it and they make it sound so appealing! I guess the best way to get rid of the pounds is the tried and trusted way, healthy eating.
Thanks Chris.
Anna
x

Your welcome Tinkerbelle.
I always think its best that people fully research these things.

Even with the Cambridge diet at £39, that still more than I pay for my half of the food a week.

Lighter life is a minimum calorie diet.

You start by drinking nothing but water (and I think unsweetened black tea) and having 3 shakes a day.

Later in the programme you can have bars etc

Side effects can be headaches, lethargy and bad breath (I've even heard it said that it can cause gall stones because of the extreme sudden weight loss).

I lost a stone in 2 weeks but couldnt keep it up as it was costing me a fortune and affecting my job/home life

Hi guys :D

Just a couple of points: with Lighter Life you take 4 food packs per day, NOT 3. It is expensive, but included in the price is a counselling session, based on dealing with our issues with food - this is as good as the individual counsellor, and I would recommend that anyone researches this thoroughly before embarking on the programme.

With reference to the gallstones - ANY diet which causes rapid weight loss can cause problems, including Slimming World, Cambridge Diet, etc, etc.

Good luck with whichever programme you choose.

I have done lighter life, and the reason you pay more is because of the 'freaky sessions'. These sessions actually try to help you get to the bottom of why you over eat without having to cope with making food choices. They use CBT which is recommended by a lot of healthcare professionals for mental health issues, which in a lot of cases, over eating is.

You are right to do the research, but please don't write it off as a stupid expensive diet, because it isn't. It is pricey, but I think the counselling really helps.

HI,

I am on LL Total and in my fifth week and i have lost nearly two stone within this time (just four pounds shy....should lose that this week!!)

Lighter Life is NOT the same as the cambridge, weight watchers etc. For a start the weight loss is far more impressive which gives you loads of motivation and at the weekly meetings you get to speak with a TRAINED counsellor and take part in open discussions with other group members-this can include success stories, anything which is proving challenging etc. The group meetings are designed to look at the cognitive behaviour-examine what triggers your eating and why...this gives you a far better greater understanding of your relationship with food.

The weekly cost is £66 (currently on offer until the end of this month-it will then increase to £72)
I do not think this is expensive considering you do not need to buy any food apart from water/coffee/teas and there is of course the bonus of no food shopping! Originally i was a lot more per week on lunches, food and alcohol so in the grand scheme of things this is not an issue at all. In addition you get all of the group support which is invaluable.

I have approx another two stone to shift and my target goal is mid april which is achievable. I will then attend the Route to Management sessions which are designed to help you keep the weight off and gradually re introduce food back into your diet. These sessions are free for life which is an excellent incentive.

I would highly recommend this diet. Good luck!

Back