Lighterlife with fewer than three stones to lose?

Everything I've read about lighterlife sounds brilliant - the counselling in particular appeals - but I was wondering if it's possible to do lighterlife if you have fewer than three stones to lose...and whether it's possible to do just the counselling bit? Or are there any similar programmes where you get counselling/where there's more focus on WHY we eat rather than what? Because I do feel I know what I should be eating, the tricky part is working out why I don't just follow those instructions! Any advice gratefully received!

Hope it's ok to just start a thread like this...couldn't spot anything in the FAQ about it...I'm new. :)

It is a requirememnt to need to lose 3 or more stone - how much are you hoping to lose? I don;t know how striuct they are if its just a matter of a few pounds?

Its a great program though, and that is exactly why I love it: It deals with our heads!!!

We all know HOW to lose weight - we just don;t know why we gained in the first place or how to keep it off - so its just the right kind of program for that!

Good luck!

You have to have a BMI of 29 or above. You can work out your BMI on the LL website, it's your height and weight combined mathatically. If it's just a few pounds out go along to the meetings with some weights round your ankles (and trousers) or in your pockets, no one will ever know! ;-)

My old LLC said that she knew people who did this!

it might depend on what they think you should/could lose. You might have more to lose if you wanted to get the the lowest figure in your BMI range. You do need to have a BMI of 29 or over.
You can find out here what is should be LighterLife

You have to have a BMI of 29 or above. You can work out your BMI on the LL website, it's your height and weight combined mathatically. If it's just a few pounds out go along to the meetings with some weights round your ankles (and trousers) or in your pockets, no one will ever know! ;-)

My old LLC said that she knew people who did this!

That's absolutely hilarious!

it might depend on what they think you should/could lose. You might have more to lose if you wanted to get the the lowest figure in your BMI range. You do need to have a BMI of 29 or over.
You can find out here what is should be LighterLife

Thanks for the info guys, I'll work out what it is. Cheers!

Thanks very much for the info guys. That's hilarious about weights tied around the ankles!

It says I'm obese but not above 29...I might phone them up though and see what they say. :)

I thought "Obese" was calculated at a BMI of over 30 and above?!!:confused:

No you can qualify with a BMI of 29. On doctors weight charts and the BMI chart in my LL class a BMI of 30 and over indicates you are officially "obese", between 25-29 you are "overweight", and 20-25 you are of normal weight. My LLC congratulated me last week when my BMI went to 29.something cos now I am no longer officially obese.

I have not seen any chart that indicates you are "obese" if your BMI is less than 30.

I can understand using 29 as in indicator that you are at least 3 st overweight but 30 is obese on whatever scale you look at.

Dancing im not sure thats strictly true about being sure to be 3st overweight if u have BMI 29- For me, BMI 29.9 (obese) is 13st 1, but for me a healthy weight is anything 11st 1lb or below, so as an "obese" person I was actually only 2 stone overweight- it very much depends on your height xx

Ok hun just wanted to point out that we cant rly use BMI as an actual indicator of weight (in case ppl read this thread and then get confused) x

I don't remember why they class it as 29 and over. You are sure to be 3stone overweight if you are BMI29 or more (according to them) which is where the three stone comes in. But you cannot do it if you are 3 stone overweight and have BMI of less than 29. The BMI is the real guideline not the three stone.Maybe they say three stone because they also state you will lose 3 stone minimum during foundation

That would make sense, yes!

I have not seen any chart that indicates you are "obese" if your BMI is less than 30.

When I did the lighterlife calculator thingie it said “obese” (for a bmi of 27 something). Random!
Maybe I typed something wrong?

I wouldn't get hung up on whether or not you are officially obese when BMI 29. The important thing here is you have to be 29 or above in order to start on LL.

Right. Hmm, then not for their purposes. Does anyone know of another diet programme that does similar counselling/has a similarly psychological approach?

You can get counselling from a counsellor, my MIL does it, it is called cognitive behavioural therapy and transactional therapy. You could ask your GP to recommend someone locally.

Or like someone else said you could wear heavy clothes/weights at the weigh in when you go for the information session.
I don't know of any other diet that offers the therapy.

You can get counselling from a counsellor, my MIL does it, it is called cognitive behavioural therapy and transactional therapy. You could ask your GP to recommend someone locally.

Or like someone else said you could wear heavy clothes/weights at the weigh in when you go for the information session.
I don't know of any other diet that offers the therapy.

Shame! It seems a good approach. I’ve asked my GP for counselling but there’s a long waiting list…hmm, maybe private CBT would be cheaper than doing lighterlife anyway? Something to look into!

OK - I have just read through the Lighterlife website. This is the only thing that ensure you qualify to do LL...............To qualify to join LighterLife you must have a BMI of at least 29.

It doesn't say anything, anywhere on the website about 3 stone or more to lose. - in fact we had a guy in our class that had only 2 stone to lose.

MarjorieDawes - if your BMI is 29 or higher, there should be no problem with you joining.

OK - I have just read through the Lighterlife website. This is the only thing that ensure you qualify to do LL...............To qualify to join LighterLife you must have a BMI of at least 29.

It doesn't say anything, anywhere on the website about 3 stone or more to lose. - in fact we had a guy in our class that had only 2 stone to lose.

MarjorieDawes - if your BMI is 29 or higher, there should be no problem with you joining.

Hi Corey, thanks for checking that. My BMI isn't 29 so I'm not eligible. But I'm going to look into the CBT thing...and read the Lighterlife boards to see what I can learn about it too. Perhaps I can use some of the things they do in LL classes on me own :)

Back