Original Limited on things you like ....

Daisysp8

Should you limit your intake of Eggs, and Banana`s ? I`m hearing mixed reports ?

I love, love, love, my homemade quiches, and quick fix omlettes for when i want some thing quick ... i also love to have banana`s chopped on my weetabix, but if i`m peckish a great snack is a banana sarnie ... 2 x 400g lil warbies, chopped mushed narna`s (and very filling it is too) .......

So whats the limits ? i can get through 12+ eggs a week, and the same (and more) in banana`s .... :D

I don't know - is the honest answer (not very helpful - sorry!).

But I do sometimes worry about my intake of eggs - i go through loads on this plan. Lucky i know my cholesterol is ok, otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't have so many.

Government guidelines state the following:
There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat.

But then they have more to say about a balanced diet, cholesterol, etc.

Regarding bananas, I now try to have just 1 a day (chopped up on my All Bran)... i'd like to have more but I've heard too many horror stories on here to risk it!! lol

I hope someone else can have a more informed answer for you.

Lx

I can go through a dozen eggs myself in a week. I love them for brekkie. I do worry about my cholesterol with them, but then I think they can't be as bad as all the other fatty things I've eaten in the past. Not sure what the worry is about bananas? Thought they were Ok.

I love bananas - but im allergic :( just jealous of you guys being able to eat them at all...bit of self pity :p

A medium banana is 80 calories so one or even two a day should not be a problem. But in the interest of variety I would recommend you perhaps have some other fruits instead of always reaching for a banana. I know some say they too many bananas mean they don;t lose but I think bananas alone are unlikely to affect losses and you need to look at them in the context of everything else you are eating.

I've never restricted any of the free foods. Some people report you shouldn't have too many eggs, bananas, potatoes etc, but i think as long as they're part of a balanced diet it doesn't really matter. Afterall if its something you love surely even if the weight comes off a little slower its worth it to keep the diet healthy and enjoyable? xx

it used to be recommended to limit eggs due to cholesterol , but research has now found that eggs dont contain the bad cholesterol and also the ways chickens are fed now they are much healthier so I would say eggs are fine ( I get through about 20 a week :/ )
bananas are very individual , some people report their losses slow down if they eat bananas every day , some people they make no difference , so its all trial and error , if you have a low loss try a week with less bananas and see if it makes a difference !

Hope that helps

The cholesterol in food does not cause extra cholesterol in the blood (except in rare cases, and you would know if you were one of those).

It is saturated fat which does that.

Cool ... thanks everyone :)

Due to dietry limitations (illness) there`s a fair bit of fruit (and veg) i can`t have, so i`m trying to make sure i can eat things i like, so i don`t end up with nothing left to eat of any interest to me, and just saying "blow it" lol .

Acidic fruit makes me ill .... and i struggle with high iron foods too (iron/iodine breakdown and hypothyroid with low T4>T3 conversion)

But love my eggs, love my banana`s and melon and cucumber, and salads .... ;)

Cool ... thanks everyone :)

Due to dietry limitations (illness) there`s a fair bit of fruit (and veg) i can`t have, so i`m trying to make sure i can eat things i like, so i don`t end up with nothing left to eat of any interest to me, and just saying "blow it" lol .

Acidic fruit makes me ill .... and i struggle with high iron foods too (iron/iodine breakdown and hypothyroid with low T4>T3 conversion)

But love my eggs, love my banana`s and melon and cucumber, and salads .... ;)

You seem to have lost your weight very successfully hun ... I wouldn't worry about bananas or eggs! If you have always eaten them and lost weight then carry on :)

As with everything it's food abuse that's the problem ... too many bananas and too many eggs could deffo 'bung' you up (TMI :eek:). You seem to be taking on board a lovely variety of fruit & salad so should be absolutely OK! BTW ... loving the sound of those banana butties ... cheers! :)

it used to be recommended to limit eggs due to cholesterol , but research has now found that eggs dont contain the bad cholesterol and also the ways chickens are fed now they are much healthier so I would say eggs are fine ( I get through about 20 a week :/ )
bananas are very individual , some people report their losses slow down if they eat bananas every day , some people they make no difference , so its all trial and error , if you have a low loss try a week with less bananas and see if it makes a difference !

Hope that helps

Well said, eggs are fine now even with a cholesterol issue. I have FH (famillial hypercholesteraleamia) a genetically inherited condition meaning i have high cholesterol. I love eggs and can also get through 10-15 a week some weeks. I am regularly monitored by my consultant and after joining sw in may last year i had my first check in November and my consultant was so impressed with the difference that eating the sw way has had on my cholesterol levels. During this time i have eaten loads of eggs, yet my cholesterol levels have improved.

With regard to bananas if you are still losing weight carry on enjoying them, some people say that if they reduce the amount of bananas their weight loss improves. But i think that this is down to the individual.

I would say if it's working for you keep doing what you're doing, if your weight loss slows down maybe rethink it. Only thing is if you're mashing bananas you need to syn them - 5 each if i'm not mistaken x

Back