little worried

gja

Hi ya guys wondered if anyone could help? I'm doing ss and sticking to it ok.Now on day 10. But instead of having normal black coffee I'm having (rocket fuel) its coffee with guanna. Do you think this would slow my diet down or effect it in anyway?
I am a atd worried:0(

Hmm I'm not sure about that one, I don't think it should have an affect because it's only a stronger caffiene from a different plant to coffee beans. So long as there's no citric acid or carbs in it, it won't affect ketosis and shouldn't really affect your losses. Caffiene does actually inhibit weight loss a bit though so I wouldn't drink too much coffee.

Thanks for replying. I did not know caffeine inhibits weight loss. I have been drinking gallons of it. Is tea ok to have?x

Yeah Its because caffiene interferes with the action of insulin which means glucose doesn't enter the cells and is left to circulate and is then stored as fat, it also increases adrenalin levels which encourages glucose levels to rise. A couple of cups a day is fine but drinking lots can have a negative affect! But if you like green tea that is very good for weightloss. x

Last edited:
Yeah Its because caffiene interferes with the action of insulin which means glucose doesn't enter the cells and is left to circulate and is then stored as fat, it also increases adrenalin levels which encourages glucose levels to rise. A couple of cups a day is fine but drinking lots can have a negative affect! But if you like green tea that is very good for weightloss. x

ooooooooo

even i didn't know that lol. :D i love my coffee. maybe that's why i had a few pants losses now :D

I cut out coffee when I started doing CD because it was giving me headaches, I only found out about the affects of caffiene on weightloss a couple of weeks ago, from reading a book about the biological affects of dieting. I always thought caffiene helped...

Hi Girls

I have been drinking coffee since the day i started cd and as you can see it has no effect on my losses

M x

Oooh, do you want a debate about that one? :D

There is some research to show that a massive amount of coffee taken just before a high carb meal can raise insulin. There's also research to say that it doesn't. There's research to say this only happens with decaffeinated coffee (so probably not the caffeine at all). And there's research to say the opposite.

But, there's lots of research that suggests that caffeine increases fat mobilization, so if there was a negative impact with the insulin, it's likely to be outweighed by the fat metabolism benefit.

And of course, caffeine increases NEAT which can raise metabolism.

This is probably why so many body builders use caffeine pills to increase weight loss when they are 'leaning up'.

There's also a lot of research suggesting that caffeine has all sorts of other health benefits.

As for weight loss benefits of green tea, I think it's something like 10 cups a day for 2lbs weight loss in 6 months, but it's unknown whether other stuff could have happened to cause this as the research was very iffy. Whether this fantabulous extra weight loss would be the same on a VLCD isn't known.

Green tea like coffee also has health benefits too :D

To be honest KD the book I found this in wasn't quoting any scientific trials, it was written by a dietition, but they made no mention of the scientific basis for this assumption.

I realise that it is a contentious subject and people shouldn't really be relying on suppliments (Caffiene, green tea etc) to boost their weight losses, because I don't think it's reliable. From a medical point of view, the insulin balance in the body is very delicate and there are a number of other factors that can inhibit or increase insulin production, caffiene is just one of them, and even that depends on how sensitive a person is.

From a medical point of view, the insulin balance in the body is very delicate and there are a number of other factors that can inhibit or increase insulin production, caffiene is just one of them, and even that depends on how sensitive a person is.

Indeed ;)

I just had to pipe there as I'm a coffee addict, so spent ages searching the net for good info to support my addiction :D (Only highly respected researchers BTW...don't want no riff raff ) :D

Lol I'd still be drinking copious amounts of coffee too if it didn't give me headaches while on Im on CD :-( that's something I wouldn't mind finding an explanation for because I can drink coffee all day long when I'm not on CD.... Very strange might google that tomorrow.

This is all very interesting.
I also thought that caffeine can inhibit weight loss and therefore swapped to decaf on the day I started CD (11 days ago), after deciding that if I was detoxing and going to have headaches anyway I may as well do it properly... lol.
I have not been too bad, and allow myself a sneaky espresso (single not double anymore!) 1st thing in the morning.
The only thing that concerns me is the number of people that have told me nasty things about chemicals in decaf....
Am I right in thinking that decaf counts towards your daily fluid intake and caffeinated drinks don't?
Coffee is a huge part of my life as my OH is Italian and would spit out the coffee I give him if he knew it was decaf!!

Am I right in thinking that decaf counts towards your daily fluid intake and caffeinated drinks don't?

Not quite. Both tea and coffee count towards your intake even caffeinated. They do advise not going to crazy on the caffeine hit...keeping it at usual levels rather than trying to drink it all in coffee.

I usually say that to make sure they are having at least 1/2 of the recommended amount of fluid as water only (sparkling or still)

that's something I wouldn't mind finding an explanation for because I can drink coffee all day long when I'm not on CD.... Very strange might google that tomorrow.

I'll send you a pm later :)

Thanks KD.

Back