LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

Good to hear you had a nice evening out with your friend, upndown, and to stay on plan too is so good! I hope your throat problem has resolved for now so that you could enjoy it. The meal sounds nice apart from the samphire. I would eat it but not that keen.

CJ I am making garden plans in my mind already. It's a bit soon considering I won't be able to start until the season is nearly over! Perhaps i can get some herbs started though. My mother has a small lean-to greenhouse that can be utilised if necessary and a gazillion large pots in the garden, full of flowers. I think herbs might do well in pots and maybe even the salad leaves mentioned by upndown? There should be some space for a few veg somewhere in the flower beds. The garden has been a bit neglected the last several years so could do with a rethink.

I didn't eat dinner last night. I was so tired from the bad previous night and had a burning feeling in my stomach all day. I ended up having some banana and yogurt which was soothing, and the last glass of wine. No more wine, LJ, till the weekend! Grrrr...

I went to bed before 8pm and have slept alright and my stomach has recovered now. It is 4.45am and I am awake. Must try to sleep a bit longer. My alarm goes off at 7.30am. CJ recommended some cream for my hands. I want to try and find time to get some tomorrow and I hope that they will improve if I abstain from eating chilli.

Thanks for ur praise for being on plan but I mentioned in my earlier post - bet the chef used lots of hidden syns to make that lovely meal! I'd heard of samphire but not eaten it before - it was ok - but won't be buying a seed packet!!

Well it's a lovely day here - so may have time to have a tidy up in the garden - we're getting excited about that aren't we? I have some herbs in pots - I've read that the Mediterranean ones are best in pots as they can take the heat and put up with occasional drought - I've a big pot of oregano & it's withstood the worst winters too.

Salad leaves as u say, are great in pots and there are so many varieties and different colours they look attractive with beetroot and the odd flower. There are a fair few things u can grow from Aug/Sept too - like oriental salad leaves, leeks, winter cabbage - I have those in - but there's lots of others.

I keep planning on putting some of the more attractive veg in the borders to increase my veg production - but haven't got round to it yet - asparagus with its ferns is pretty, the coloured chards, climbing beans on canes, sweetcorn and courgettes are on my list!!

Hope the cream continues to do its job and u don't feel too tired today. Hup 2, 3, 4!!

I shall enjoy comparing notes with you on gardening in the future. Oh and I believe samphire is seaweed so you might have trouble growing it even if you tried! My ex-inlaws family live on the east coast and collect samphire from the beaches to eat. They boil it and put vinegar on it. I presume that is the traditional way the locals eat it.

This afternoon was quite unpleasant. I had a late lunch of soup and one hour later was in a lot of pain. The soup has a tiny sprinkle of chilli flakes it. I am going to have to throw that out too. Oh the agonies. Severe stomach pain like there was a red hot band around my body. The pain radiated into my back too. It was all encompassing and I didn't know what to do. Certainly couldn't do any work. My colleague suggested a glass of diet coke might help. I tried it. And it did work. It took the edge off the pain and I was able to concentrate again. I am home now and still feel rather sick and there is discomfort in my stomach and upper abdomen. Going to have some dinner though. I hope that the addition of some blander food might help. So I am making one of the recipes I planned for this week. Cheesy Broccoli Bake. Making it with half broccoli and half cauliflower. Going to cook it in those little foil trays as it says it can be frozen. My frozen broccoli looks a bit sorry for itself so I must use that up as soon as I can. So does the cauliflower.

At least I can report another on plan day. How have the rest of you done?

Also waiting to hear from fat2go how his weigh in went!

I shall enjoy comparing notes with you on gardening in the future. Oh and I believe samphire is seaweed so you might have trouble growing it even if you tried! My ex-inlaws family live on the east coast and collect samphire from the beaches to eat. They boil it and put vinegar on it. I presume that is the traditional way the locals eat it.

This afternoon was quite unpleasant. I had a late lunch of soup and one hour later was in a lot of pain. The soup has a tiny sprinkle of chilli flakes it. I am going to have to throw that out too. Oh the agonies. Severe stomach pain like there was a red hot band around my body. The pain radiated into my back too. It was all encompassing and I didn't know what to do. Certainly couldn't do any work. My colleague suggested a glass of diet coke might help. I tried it. And it did work. It took the edge off the pain and I was able to concentrate again. I am home now and still feel rather sick and there is discomfort in my stomach and upper abdomen. Going to have some dinner though. I hope that the addition of some blander food might help. So I am making one of the recipes I planned for this week. Cheesy Broccoli Bake. Making it with half broccoli and half cauliflower. Going to cook it in those little foil trays as it says it can be frozen. My frozen broccoli looks a bit sorry for itself so I must use that up as soon as I can. So does the cauliflower.

At least I can report another on plan day. How have the rest of you done?

Also waiting to hear from fat2go how his weigh in went!

Ha Ha - I was joking about the samphire - we have it on the coast here too and you see people collecting it - just never fancied it - but last night's cod seemed the lowest syn meal and after last wk's gain put up with it!!

What a nuisance to be in so much pain - good tip to try diet coke - I hope your tea doesn't upset your system - as you say it's bland so shd be fine.

My throat is still niggling me - I've only had 4 times in over 30 years - but it's a nuisance all the same! Don't seem to have my usual hearty appetite either but that's fine as it's helping me to stay on plan.

I didn't get into the garden after all - we had a snow shower - so I did 30 mins with an exercise dvd.

My food went like this:

Felt full so no b'fast or lunch - just had some melon, fruit tea and water

Tea - lemon chicken, roasted peppers, onion, cherry tomatoes and a baked potato and an apple.

Hope everyone's been on plan and for those weighing 2moro - good luck!!

Evening all!

How has everyone's day been?

LJ sorry to hear your feeling poorly again. Those chillies are really not good for you are they! Must be to hot for you. You were alright with just mild chilli powder weren't you? Maybe when your tummy settles down you can try that, them substitute your chilli meals with that instead, so it's not so hot. We don't do well with allergies and intolerances do we!

Upndown sounds like you had a nice evening out. Well done for planning ahead and sticking as best you could to plan. Fingers crossed this week we get a nice surprise on those dreaded scales lol

Jules.. Are you ok? Are you still with us? I hope you are here but just maybe to busy to post. We are all here if you need any help or support.

Fat2go I am keeping my fingers crossed for your WI sounds like you have had a good on plan week. I wish I could book the rest of the week off lol it's not been fun so far!

Ha Ha - I was joking about the samphire - we have it on the coast here too and you see people collecting it - just never fancied it - but last night's cod seemed the lowest syn meal and after last wk's gain put up with it!!

What a nuisance to be in so much pain - good tip to try diet coke - I hope your tea doesn't upset your system - as you say it's bland so shd be fine.

My throat is still niggling me - I've only had 4 times in over 30 years - but it's a nuisance all the same! Don't seem to have my usual hearty appetite either but that's fine as it's helping me to stay on plan.

I didn't get into the garden after all - we had a snow shower - so I did 30 mins with an exercise dvd.

My food went like this:

Felt full so no b'fast or lunch - just had some melon, fruit tea and water

Tea - lemon chicken, roasted peppers, onion, cherry tomatoes and a baked potato and an apple.

Hope everyone's been on plan and for those weighing 2moro - good luck!!

Well done one for your exercise! Snow! Wow I heard a lot of the country got a bit today. We had blue sky and sunshine, was freezing though!

your tea sounds yummy!

Well done one for your exercise! Snow! Wow I heard a lot of the country got a bit today. We had blue sky and sunshine, was freezing though!

your tea sounds yummy!

Thought I'd try something different - I just marinated the chicken in lemon juice and garlic then roasted it!

How has ur day been today - I'll check your thread in a mo - WI day 2moro ooooh!

So my day.. Another on plan day *honk* hehe

Breakfast (seems so long ago!) a banana and shape yogurt

Lunch jacket potato with beans and cheese (hexa)

snack blueberries.. A whole little tub! That gave me tummy ache., there is a limit lol

Tea Mccain rustic chips (2.5syns), omlette with cheese (5syns), salad leaves, cucumber, beet root, and ex light mayo (1 syn).

8.5 syns total.

Thought I'd try something different - I just marinated the chicken in lemon juice and garlic then roasted it!

How has ur day been today - I'll check your thread in a mo - WI day 2moro ooooh!

I like the sound of that. I will have to try!

I have just just posted below :)

So my day.. Another on plan day *honk* hehe

Breakfast (seems so long ago!) a banana and shape yogurt

Lunch jacket potato with beans and cheese (hexa)

snack blueberries.. A whole little tub! That gave me tummy ache., there is a limit lol

Tea Mccain rustic chips (2.5syns), omlette with cheese (5syns), salad leaves, cucumber, beet root, and ex light mayo (1 syn).

8.5 syns total.

ooooh ur tea sounds delicious - nice and comforting - I forget about making an omelette!! Another day on plan for u - WI results shd be good this week - yippee!! I must have a cast iron stomach - when my appetite is normal I scoff my way thro loads of fruit!!

It was yummy Upndown! I am feeling tired today, had an early start and a long day. I hope I sleep well tonight.

WI tomorrow... Eeek! After last week I'm scared, I have stayed on plan though so surely I should get a loss! Fingers crossed to us all :)

It was yummy Upndown! I am feeling tired today, had an early start and a long day. I hope I sleep well tonight.

WI tomorrow... Eeek! After last week I'm scared, I have stayed on plan though so surely I should get a loss! Fingers crossed to us all :)

Ur Mum's been keeping an eye on us all - and says we've all been good children - so hope we get our reward on Mr Scales - and LJ too of course!!

Morning all. Another bad night for me. I feel like I have been through three rounds with Mike Tyson. My stomach feels battered and bruised. I was awake with pain until after 1am. I am concerned that this may be a repeat of the stomach ulcer I had 25 years ago. Did I trigger it with the chilli or was it destined to happen or is it caused ny the pain tablets I am on? The painkillers have a warning about damaging the stomach lining and that is why my doctor prescribed me antacids to take every day. I have another worry that when I next see her in two weeks time she will stop the painkillers because of these stomach pains and I will be back to square one with my back pain. I have only taken my thyroid tablets and the antacid this morning. Will tough it out without painkillers just in case. I also have the return of my eye infection which never really went away but seemed to be getting better.

The ulcer I had before was possibly caused by the stress I was under at the time and as I often mention here my life is very stressful. It was ten months of hell and I had to give up my job at the time because I was so ill. Sigh...... I don't want this! The only positive aspect is that I am scared to eat because eating sets off the pain. I am working this morning so am not going to eat breakfast. I will see how I am after lunch. If I feel bad at least I don't have to go out except to weigh in, which I will not miss for anything!

So, on that happy note, how is everyone feeling about weigh in today? I am hoping for a reasonable loss but no idea if my stomach probs are causing any effects on my weight. Good luck all :)

Hi - I'm so sorry to hear that ur in so much pain - ur really having a tough time aren't u? Yet staying on plan - and keeping our spirit ups too that's to be admired LJ!!

I know what stress at work is like - I took voluntary redundancy in June 2012 foll long term stress and manic travel patterns - not nice - but at least ur going to have a big change in lifestyle in the summer - but hope ur doctor can find a cure for ur pain long b4 that.

I have a friend who suffers from stomach ulcers and checked with her - she says that different things suit different ppl so she was loathe to recommend without a health warning - to try one thing and see how ur stomach reacts - anyway as she is well up on natural remedies - thought I'd pass this on:

half a tsp of cayenne pepper in a cup of hot water once a day

red, blue or purple coloured food have a substance which can help

I WI with a 4.5 loss - which is wonderful but I don't think I did things very differently this week (from memory had treats over syns on 2 nights and went for meal with unknown syns this wk?) so wondering if either my scales are wonky or I was retaining fluid last week - anyhow whatever happened - I'm pleased and to celebrate I'm having corned beef hash tonight to celebrate!!

Hope ur day improves - take care.

Last edited:
Well done on your 4.5lb loss upndown. That is a huge achievement! On to the next week eh?

Fat2go, well done on your great loss too! How wonderful to get those stickers and those milestones under your belt!

CJ is next to weigh, then me. Hope the rain stops by then.

I came home at lunchtime but was too scared to eat so I had a mug of bovril to see how my stomach reacted. That was ok so an hour later I ate a banana. Chewed it well. I read that banana is good for this type of problem. So far I am OK so I have just had a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt with a drizzle of honey. Thank you for your friends advice upndown. I did read about those things but feel a bit scared to eat cayenne pepper. It sounds painful. My stomach feels delicate and I am afraid to risk it! Hoping for a pain free afternoon but only time will tell. The pain comes on about an hour or so after eating.

Well done on your 4.5lb loss upndown. That is a huge achievement! On to the next week eh?

Fat2go, well done on your great loss too! How wonderful to get those stickers and those milestones under your belt!

CJ is next to weigh, then me. Hope the rain stops by then.

I came home at lunchtime but was too scared to eat so I had a mug of bovril to see how my stomach reacted. That was ok so an hour later I ate a banana. Chewed it well. I read that banana is good for this type of problem. So far I am OK so I have just had a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt with a drizzle of honey. Thank you for your friends advice upndown. I did read about those things but feel a bit scared to eat cayenne pepper. It sounds painful. My stomach feels delicate and I am afraid to risk it! Hoping for a pain free afternoon but only time will tell. The pain comes on about an hour or so after eating.

Thanks and glad ur stomach has been ok today but sorry to hear u've not been able to eat meals - I know what u mean about the cayenne pepper - it sounds strong and u know ur body best. Hope u'll be able to have some tea after having a great WI and you too CJ!

Woohoo!!! 3lb off. Thrilled with that!

Went to Tesco on the way home. Treated myself to good things. On the recommendation of upndown's friend I bought blueberries, raspberries, dark grapes and bananas. Dare not eat dinner to ight. I need a night of no pain so I am slowly eating some of the fruit. Maybe if I give my insides a rest they will recover. I feel safe, no need for food panic, now that I have plenty of fruit in the house and some yogurt if I want it. Got some different types of milk to try to see which I like best to use for my yogurt.

OOOOOH! so pleased for u - that's great - ur so close to the 12s which will soon be followed by ur 2 stone award - woo-hoo!!

Hope the blue/red fruits do their work plus the bananas - u need ur rest don't u? Just waiting for CJ's results now - fingers crossed for her and for a restful night for you.

Drum roll.... 1lb loss! Yay! I am happy with that. I am now at my lowest :D Every 1lb off now is my new lowest hehe

I read read the scales wrong and thought I'd put on 1lb! So said noooooo, then saw her write -1 lol

Well done everyone!! Good weight loss for all. I am happy to be back on track!

LJ sorry to hear you are feeling poorly. A nice early night will revive you so you can fight the nasty eye infection and your tummy will be all fixed.. I can just tell :) Then you'll be ready to start your next week for another big loss! I have a feeling you might win our bet ;)

Upndown well done! That's an amazing loss! I bet you couldn't believe your eyes! Do you feel smaller? Hehe

Fat2go well done to you to! Amazing loss and all those shiny stickers! I bet they look great on your book :)

My food for today..

Breakfast 2 small bananas (bought some bigger ones today lol!)

Lunch potato with beans and cheese (hexa)

snack banana

Tea rustic chips (2.5 syns), chilli with peppers, frozen chopped carrot, peas and brocolli and cauliflower with salad leaves and cucumber! Mayo (1syn but only had half of it).

3.5 syns today.

i am trying to cut down on the extra cheese so I can have more fun things lol!

Back