LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

Oh I'm sorry you didnt lose anything this week. I understand it gets harder to lose as you get close to your ideal weight. Maybe your group leader can help? I know how lovely she is!

I lost 1.5lb but that's mainly due to not being able to eat much. I think the herbal regime is starting to show some good effects. Early days but I am hopeful.

Well done - ur on ur way to 2.5 stone now - and here's to the herbal regime's effectiveness!

Last edited:
Welcome back Upndown! Good to have you back! Me and LJ have missed you!

how was your few days away Nice I hope!

I am feeling a little bit fed up.. But I'll get back to it tomorrow. I handed in a food diary this week, so I will be interested to hear what she says and if she has tips! If she says I'm eating to much free....... Lol! I will try the exercise and see it can't hurt and I've tried everything else!

LJ has suggested that maybe I try 5:2 or success express. I need to get my head round the success express I think, on first glance it looks confusing lol

Welcome back Upndown! Good to have you back! Me and LJ have missed you!

how was your few days away Nice I hope!

I am feeling a little bit fed up.. But I'll get back to it tomorrow. I handed in a food diary this week, so I will be interested to hear what she says and if she has tips! If she says I'm eating to much free....... Lol! I will try the exercise and see it can't hurt and I've tried everything else!

LJ has suggested that maybe I try 5:2 or success express. I need to get my head round the success express I think, on first glance it looks confusing lol

I hope u didn't think I meant don't exercise - tho' reading back what I wrote I'm wdn;t be surprised if u did! I just meant that I don't think u'd lose a lot more.

I can't remember how success express works but I'd agree it's worth a try and will be a change for u! Good luck if u decide to give it a go - we may all need to give it a go at some stage so perhaps u'll be our guinea pig?

I hope u didn't think I meant don't exercise - tho' reading back what I wrote I'm wdn;t be surprised if u did! I just meant that I don't think u'd lose a lot more.

I can't remember how success express works but I'd agree it's worth a try and will be a change for u! Good luck if u decide to give it a go - we may all need to give it a go at some stage so perhaps u'll be our guinea pig?

lol dont worry I know what you meant hehe

Yes I will read up and see how it goes, I might give it a try over the weekend.. Need to do a shop so not got much in at the minute to try a new experiment!

CJ you asked about my adventures - not sure I'd describe my few days away as an adventure but I had a great time - I met up with some friends in Lancashire on Monday and stayed with one of them on Monday night - lots of walking, talking and altho' we went to a couple of coffee shops - I was able to stay on plan as they weren't eating cakes etc and my friend is familiar with SW so kindly made a SW friendly spag bol for the eve meal and a SW b'fast.

I then went on to stay with one of my sons who lives in Manchester with his partner- we had a lovely night out in the city and went to Rosso's a lovely restaurant after a couple of bars - but I'm not a big drinker so kept my syns for the meal which was a lamb dish with chick peas - they're not into desserts so I refrained too! Met up with my son for lunch I only had a special K cereal bar for b'fast so had a bacon sarnie for lunch (tomatio ketchup - no butter!)

Today I went on a ring hunt - I broke my ring finger before Christmas - it's fine but I had to have my wedding ring cut off as it the finger swelled and went black! I bought one today but they had to order my size and will post it on - so pleased about that. I also had a hairdo and a make up lesson courtesy of my daughters in law (vouchers for Christmas)! So had a good time and the weather was pretty kind too. Back to reality 2moro!

I was on plan most of time - but not sure about the hidden syns whilst I was eating out. The scales will let me know in the morning!!

Last edited:
@upndown, your few days sound lovely! It's nice to catch up with people, and then the added bonus of a new ring, hair and make-up!

@CJ- it's frustrating that you stayed the same. I've done Success Express before, there are a few threads on it here. It's pretty hard at the start, but once you get into it, it's fine. In a nutshell- you increase to 2/3 SF for each meal. Between meals you're meant to snack on SF. If you use syns, you take the highest syn value for the item- so if you're eating a frozen jacket spud which is 1 syn on EE, you have to count it as 9 syns (the highest value, in this case Red). I think eggs and free yogurts are the exception though, you can snack on them without synning.

Do you normally do EE? I should know this from reading! But if you are, why not try Red or Green? I've recently started adding Red days to my week and it has made a difference.

@LJ- well done on the loss. So what if it's to do with not eating much? I don't really buy that, cos even with your sick tum you've been sticking at plan, whereas I am sure a lot of people (i.e. ME) would have said bugger this, I am having what I want! I truly hope you are feeling better soon x

Well, after all that waffling... I lost a pound. Which is good, but not great for Feb overall, which was 2.5 lbs. I can make a LOAD of excuses about the 2 weekends away we had (and the 3rd weekend "recovering"), but really I didn't do as much as I could have. So, back on Red today, have to knuckle down over the weekend - my downfall is the weekend!- and try to break the 14.06 barrier next week.

ooooh the garlicky spuds were amazing!

HI - well done on ur loss - much better than sts and miles better than a gain! I'll be joining u on the knuckle-down week - and perhaps CJ will too?!

Interesting about ur explanation about Success Express - I've never tried that in all my SW efforts - and as I usually have red days with an occasional green day - I find I tend to overeat on the carbs and don't seem to losI'e as much - so something to consider CJ? Gosh perhaps universities shd start offering a degree course on SW!

I fully agree with ur comment on LJ too - I'm sure I'd have tried to 'heal' myself with comfort foods weeks ago if I'd been as poorly (of course leading to a big gain to get rid of!) so take the praise - you've done really well!!

Interesting about ur explanation about Success Express - I've never tried that in all my SW efforts - and as I usually have red days with an occasional green day - I find I tend to overeat on the carbs and don't seem to losI'e as much - so something to consider CJ? Gosh perhaps universities shd start offering a degree course on SW!

I quite like Red days now that I am used to doing them. But as I was saying to DH last night, there is little point in me working super hard on Red Mon-Thurs and then blowing it at the weekend (crisps and wine- I both loathe and adore!) to result in a pound. Which I know I should be glad of, and I am, but overall this year I've lost 2lbs. At my weight I should be aiming for / getting more.

Anyway, I'll take my pound and march on!

Well I've just stepped on the scales and I've stayed the same since the last time I weighed 8 days ago - bit disappointed but know I must have deserved it - funny how amnesia kicks in about my food sometimes - I did have choc on the train and a few nibbles here and there when I think about it. Anyway back home and back on plan - to quote LJ onwards and downwards!

I quite like Red days now that I am used to doing them. But as I was saying to DH last night, there is little point in me working super hard on Red Mon-Thurs and then blowing it at the weekend (crisps and wine- I both loathe and adore!) to result in a pound. Which I know I should be glad of, and I am, but overall this year I've lost 2lbs. At my weight I should be aiming for / getting more.

Anyway, I'll take my pound and march on!

I know what u mean - but a pound a week means 52lbs a year which is good in anybody's book I shd think?

And it allows us to have our treats and stops us from bingeing that's even better isn't it?

Well it's very quiet here without the J family! I hope ur both ok?

Good to have coughdrops posting now - hope fat2go is on plan and well?

how r u LJ? you've done so well but have been poorly for a while now - take care - I hope ur not going to abandon us cos we're a small team here?

Perhaps CJ is fathoming out Success Express lol?? I decided to follow suit as I'd like to lose 2.5/3 next week after my sts this week - not sure if that's achievable? So I dug out the books and it's a bit confusing so hope I've done it properly today - if I haven't hope someone will let me know:

b'fast - 35g muesli soaked in ff from frais with 2/3 bowl of berries

lunch - wm bread HEB - lean bacon - ketchup 1 syn and 2/3 plate of melon/pineapple

tea - spag bol made with v lean beef mince & tons of veg - onions/carrots/broccoli/tin toms/mushrooms/celery

snack - banana

1 coffee - milk HEA - water - diet drinks

Good evening!

Today is my Friday!! 3 day weekend.. Ahhhh :)

How is everyone?

I have made a decision today, I'm not going to go to group anymore, it was a lot of money to just to pop in and weigh. I will carry on with the plan, but just weigh at home on a weds morning. If ind I get more support on here and with LJ than I do from occasional emailrom my group leader.

Cough drop, thank you for the info! I will have to have a read up on red and green days, see which will work best. It might be easier for me to do that than the success express.. It seems confusing lol I've just got my head round EE.

Upndown it's good that you managed to STS with your few days away. Well done :) next week I'm sure you will have a loss when your back on it.

I have a party tomorrow, I'm going to try and limit my syns.. But if it doesn't happen I won't beat myself up. I am planning on getting on the treadmill over the weekend, so I should burn off those extra syns. I think I will still post my food diary on here then you can all keep me on track :)

Well it's very quiet here without the J family! I hope ur both ok?

Good to have coughdrops posting now - hope fat2go is on plan and well?

how r u LJ? you've done so well but have been poorly for a while now - take care - I hope ur not going to abandon us cos we're a small team here?

Perhaps CJ is fathoming out Success Express lol?? I decided to follow suit as I'd like to lose 2.5/3 next week after my sts this week - not sure if that's achievable? So I dug out the books and it's a bit confusing so hope I've done it properly today - if I haven't hope someone will let me know:

b'fast - 35g muesli soaked in ff from frais with 2/3 bowl of berries

lunch - wm bread HEB - lean bacon - ketchup 1 syn and 2/3 plate of melon/pineapple

tea - spag bol made with v lean beef mince & tons of veg - onions/carrots/broccoli/tin toms/mushrooms/celery

snack - banana

1 coffee - milk HEA - water - diet drinks

Any success express tips?? Lol I'll have a little investigate over the weekend and see what I can learn. Payday tomorrow, so I'll go and do a shop Saturday and stock up on yummy free and superfree things!

Good luck with your target. You go for it! We will be here to help :)

i think LJ is having a busy work day, she wasn't feeling so great earlier, so maybe has decided to have an early night. I'm sure she will be back with us tomorrow :)

Well I've just stepped on the scales and I've stayed the same since the last time I weighed 8 days ago - bit disappointed but know I must have deserved it - funny how amnesia kicks in about my food sometimes - I did have choc on the train and a few nibbles here and there when I think about it. Anyway back home and back on plan - to quote LJ onwards and downwards!

Try not to be disappointed.. I know it feels that way, but we didn't put on so that's good. You had snacks but you controlled yourself, so you are learning! I'm sure you will get the result you want on weds!

Any success express tips?? Lol I'll have a little investigate over the weekend and see what I can learn. Payday tomorrow, so I'll go and do a shop Saturday and stock up on yummy free and superfree things!

Good luck with your target. You go for it! We will be here to help :)

i think LJ is having a busy work day, she wasn't feeling so great earlier, so maybe has decided to have an early night. I'm sure she will be back with us tomorrow :)

Please send her my best wishes - do hope she feels better soon.

Good luck with Success E - it's been ok today but not sure how long I cd do it for! Think it will be expensive too cos I wd struggle with just apples/bananas/lower cost veg but on the other hand - I don't begrudge the cost of goodies I have as syns and cheats and they aren't cheap either!!

Try not to be disappointed.. I know it feels that way, but we didn't put on so that's good. You had snacks but you controlled yourself, so you are learning! I'm sure you will get the result you want on weds!

thanks - yes it's a learning curve but I'm don't want to add to my curves! Let's hope we both have a good loss next week!

Good evening!

Today is my Friday!! 3 day weekend.. Ahhhh :)

How is everyone?

I have made a decision today, I'm not going to go to group anymore, it was a lot of money to just to pop in and weigh. I will carry on with the plan, but just weigh at home on a weds morning. If ind I get more support on here and with LJ than I do from occasional emailrom my group leader.

Cough drop, thank you for the info! I will have to have a read up on red and green days, see which will work best. It might be easier for me to do that than the success express.. It seems confusing lol I've just got my head round EE.

Upndown it's good that you managed to STS with your few days away. Well done :) next week I'm sure you will have a loss when your back on it.

I have a party tomorrow, I'm going to try and limit my syns.. But if it doesn't happen I won't beat myself up. I am planning on getting on the treadmill over the weekend, so I should burn off those extra syns. I think I will still post my food diary on here then you can all keep me on track :)

hi - enjoy the party - have fun and it's lovely to have 2moro off!

Like u I stopped going to SW partly cos of the cost and for me the consultant - definitely doing better here than at SW altho' as u know I'm a big fan of the SW organisation and can't blame anyone other than myself if I'm not losing weight!

Yes keep posting ur diary - it's a good discipline I think & we like to see ur food ideas plus someone may spot something to help u too. Night, Night.

Morning everyone. Sorry for going awol yesterday. I was in bed asleep by 8.30pm. Feel better today. I was quite depressed after a horrible doctors consultation. I didnt even get to discuss alternative treatments. She was short and bossy and said i must take the antacid tablets i was on for another three weeks and if that doesnt cure my problem that i must have an endoscopy. And as for my back problem she kind of washed her hands and said i will have to be referred to hospital. No way am I having an endoscopy and no way am I getting onto the hospital treadmill for my back, especially after my nhs experience recently. So I am back to self sufficiency. No more doctor visits.

The great news though is that the herbal tablets appear to be doing the trick. I ate pasta with carbonara sauce and grated cheese last night, followed a little later by half a tin of peaches. No heartburn, no pain! Yay!

I have, on order, a starter kit to make milk kefir. Anyone else tried it? It has tons more of the good bugs for your gut than yogurt. I am still making yogurt though. Having that for breakfasts. Today I am making a trreat of goat yogurt. Costs about three times as much but I know I have a milk sensitivity and that I do better on goat milk. I have to limit my cows milk intake as it triggers my asthma although yogurt doesnt seem to have that effect.

This weekend I will make a menu plan. I think i am going to be able to eat normal meals again now. I don't have much in my freezer that I can eat yet. Dare not eat curry or spicy foods. I will do some batch cooking and get set up for next week. I still have soup for lunches but have had to avoid the accompanying bread as that causes heartburn. I would like to be able to have that again when I am recovered as its something I really really enjoy.

One more thing I am going to do is grow sprouted broccoli seeds. Sprouting is something I have done over the years when the urge takes me. Broccoli sprouts are 50 times better than broccoli for healing the stomach. I plan to chop them into my lunchtime soups. Every little helps eh?

I will catch up on all your posts later. Hope you are all ok and on plan. Keep going folks!

Morning everyone. Sorry for going awol yesterday. I was in bed asleep by 8.30pm. Feel better today. I was quite depressed after a horrible doctors consultation. I didnt even get to discuss alternative treatments. She was short and bossy and said i must take the antacid tablets i was on for another three weeks and if that doesnt cure my problem that i must have an endoscopy. And as for my back problem she kind of washed her hands and said i will have to be referred to hospital. No way am I having an endoscopy and no way am I getting onto the hospital treadmill for my back, especially after my nhs experience recently. So I am back to self sufficiency. No more doctor visits.

The great news though is that the herbal tablets appear to be doing the trick. I ate pasta with carbonara sauce and grated cheese last night, followed a little later by half a tin of peaches. No heartburn, no pain! Yay!

I have, on order, a starter kit to make milk kefir. Anyone else tried it? It has tons more of the good bugs for your gut than yogurt. I am still making yogurt though. Having that for breakfasts. Today I am making a trreat of goat yogurt. Costs about three times as much but I know I have a milk sensitivity and that I do better on goat milk. I have to limit my cows milk intake as it triggers my asthma although yogurt doesnt seem to have that effect.

This weekend I will make a menu plan. I think i am going to be able to eat normal meals again now. I don't have much in my freezer that I can eat yet. Dare not eat curry or spicy foods. I will do some batch cooking and get set up for next week. I still have soup for lunches but have had to avoid the accompanying bread as that causes heartburn. I would like to be able to have that again when I am recovered as its something I really really enjoy.

One more thing I am going to do is grow sprouted broccoli seeds. Sprouting is something I have done over the years when the urge takes me. Broccoli sprouts are 50 times better than broccoli for healing the stomach. I plan to chop them into my lunchtime soups. Every little helps eh?

I will catch up on all your posts later. Hope you are all ok and on plan. Keep going folks!

Hi - Good to hear from u today.

Sorry to hear you had such a condescending doctor - it makes u wonder why they go into a caring profession when their bedside manner is appalling!

On a more positive note it's good to hear that ur research and remedies are bearing fruit and ur feeling much better now you're able to eat 'normally'.

I didn't know about the broccoli sprouts - but when I think about it - they're new, fresh and bursting with nutrients to help them grow whilst the broccoli head had used up its nutrients and about to go into it's final flush and grow seeds for the next generation!!

I've not tried milk kefir but will be interested to hear about it - eczema runs in the family and Owen (2 yr old grandson) suffers with it badly - he loves milk and since he's switched to goat's milk the eczema has been much better but still there - as u say goat's milk is expensive but he couldn't carry on with cow's.

Hope ur day goes well and ur not working this weekend.

Back