LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

Hello Everyone. You have a super thread here and you are all such interesting and friendly people. Im sorry if I have been elusive (lol) Im packing up a house ready to move. My OH is away at sea so I am relying on friends and family. The move itself will be quite complicated as I have 'things' going to three different destinations. The sale has fallen through twice before as my buyers lost their buyers so I must admit I am quite anxious. Never mind, anxiety, packing and cleaning should help the diet.
Looking forward to sharing your news. Mo

Welcome Mo! Nice to have you here! Sounds like you have a very busy time at the minute, I think we all sympathise with moving.. If I could never move again I'd be happy with that :) except when I win the lottery and move to my mansion.. ;)

Well good morning all!

i hope your all having a lovely Sunday, we are pro's now at avoiding those Sunday Munchie demons!

i fully intend to get myself on that treadmill today, so wish me luck!

Yesterday was lacking in superfree. So today I'm making up for it. Had a lovely big fruit salad for breakfast.. Banana, strawberries and blueberries, with natural yogurt and a spoon of honey (1 syn).

I will have an egg and salad cream wrap for lunch yummy! And some more fruit.

then for tea I plan to have a jacket potato (a real one!) with herb chicken (maggi papers) and salad.

LJ sounds like you are having a Very productive day today. You do sound much better today, back to your old self :) your self healing is working! Well done. All that body magic today!

Upndown I'd like your ryvita cake recipe to please! I can't have nuts as I'm very allergic, but a banana one would be yummy! Or blueberry maybe??

Upndown, could you please post the recipe for your ryvita cakes? I would like to try them. The coffee and walnut and the toffee ones sound yummy. Oh, and next time, pictures please!

Hi - ryvita cakes recipe (can be done with 5 Scan Bran too) there are loads of varied recipes on here and google - I read a few and followed the tips I came across - I think it's one to suck and see - esp when cooking in the micro - of course different ovens vary too! I'd welcome any suggestions to improve things - I'll be trying them again cos they're so low in syns!

I've found a choc brownie recipe which I'll try later - will report back!

RYVITA CAKE/S

4 original or dark ryvita - crushed (if using 5 scan bran u need to soften them with a SMALL AMOUNT of boiling water - to make them just wet not runny!)
2 beaten eggs
sweetener to taste - or sugar but adds syns of course
quarter tsp of baking powder
175g very low fat yogurt (syn free) a few drops of flavoured essence (optional) - suggested flavours below

SUGGESTED FLAVOURS

toffee and walnut - use toffee yog, 12.5g nuts (4 syns) and caramel/toffee essence to taste
choc - options hot choc - 2 syns or 4 heaped dessert sp cocoa ? syns - or dark choc ? syns
banana - use banana yog and part a mashed banana dep on size!
coffee and walnut - use vanilla yog and 2 tsps instant coffee with minimal water to dissolve + 12.5g nuts (4 syns)
lemon - use lemon yog, lemon rind and a little lemon juice
there must be loads of other ideas too!

METHOD

If using Scan Bran soften them with a small amount of boiling water, or crush the Ryvita into small pieces.

Thoroughly mix the crispbreads with the beaten eggs add the yogurt, sweetener (or sugar), baking powder and the flavouring/s - mix thoroughly (having checked I haven't missed an ingredient!).

Spoon mixture into a sandwich, loaf or individual cake tins/moulds which have been 'greased' with frylight (I use an empty frylight bottle, fill a quarter with oil and top up with water - healthier and cheaper!)

MICROWAVE METHOD

For individual moulds cook in micro for 2 mins in an 800W micro then take out of mould (cos the cakes 'sweat' in the mould) and cook for a further 30 secs then check if cooked - if not cooked try again for 10 secs and repeat until ur happy! Believe me, in the micro these cakes go from soft & sweaty to bricks in seconds!

For a loaf or cake mould - try for 4 mins in an 800W then check - cook further as req'd but in short bursts again!

OVEN METHOD - my preference

Preheat oven to 180 degrees (sorry don't know what that is on gas) and cook in a loaf/cake tin for about 40 mins - I'd suggest checking after 30 mins.

I cooked the cakes in individual moulds yesterday and they took about 30 mins.

Gosh that took ages - must sign off soon or the day will be gone!

Well good morning all!

i hope your all having a lovely Sunday, we are pro's now at avoiding those Sunday Munchie demons!

i fully intend to get myself on that treadmill today, so wish me luck!

Yesterday was lacking in superfree. So today I'm making up for it. Had a lovely big fruit salad for breakfast.. Banana, strawberries and blueberries, with natural yogurt and a spoon of honey (1 syn).

I will have an egg and salad cream wrap for lunch yummy! And some more fruit.

then for tea I plan to have a jacket potato (a real one!) with herb chicken (maggi papers) and salad.

LJ sounds like you are having a Very productive day today. You do sound much better today, back to your old self :) your self healing is working! Well done. All that body magic today!

Upndown I'd like your ryvita cake recipe to please! I can't have nuts as I'm very allergic, but a banana one would be yummy! Or blueberry maybe??

Good luck on the treadmill - don't overdo it esp if ur watching Prisoners lol!

Yes we're all on plan - but I feel as if I'm always on the edge of a syn-ful precipice!

You cd leave out the nuts - just thought they'd add texture - blueberries wd be lovely - but they might need some flavouring as the mixture itself is a bit bland - just thought wonder if a bit of salt would help?

Enjoy the rest of today all!!

Just had lunch of 2 wraps (1 hexb and 4.5 syns) with egg and salad cream (1syn)

ill have some fruit in a bit :)

Well I managed 3 miles on the treadmill :) I'm pleased with that.

I had a bowl of blueberries, plum and yogurt and a little honey (1)

my potatoes are in the oven as we speak! I was going to have chicken with it, but it's pretty huge, so I think I'll have beans and cheese and salad instead :)

Hi - lots of lovely lively threads today and really good to have you on board Mo!

Been doing domestic stuff as hubby was doing man jobs and weather was wet and windy here.

Including faffing with choc brownies - I'm no cook and rarely bake cakes but Success Exp has driven me to it? I found loads of different recipes and plumped for this one - here's the link:

http://www.prettyandpolished.co.uk/2013/01/slimming-world-brownies.html

I decided to make 3 different types on one tray:

glace cherry - 2 syns each eeek! so only used 2 and chopped them and added some chopped nuts at 4 syns for half an ounce but u get lots for that measure so I shared that half ounce across all 3 flavours!

choc drops - 3.5 syns for half an ounce & nuts

dried apricots - 2.5 syns for 20g I think & nuts

So total for the whole tray came to 26.5 syns - that made 15 decent size chunks = 1.8 syns per chunk!

All flavours were good but all tasted the same - probably cos I used so little of the apricots etc so save on syns! Wasn't keen on the topping so won't use that again. Perhaps I'll stick to the apricot and choc chips and nuts next time and the provided texture and were lower in syns than the cherries.

Here's the rest of my food today:

b'fast - 35g muesli soaked in free yog and 2/3 berries

lunch - SW veg soup

snack - raspberries - Morrison's frozen 500g for £2 - good value and convenient - I use Lidl frozen berry mixture for b'fast/snacks etc which are even better value as u get a good bagful for £1.99 for 750g.

tea - turkey, carrots, petit pois, s/corn - gravy 2 syns? baked potato

dessert - choc brownie topped with choc quark 1.7 x 3 = 5.4 syns, 2/3 plate of berries

Total syns = 7.4!

Last edited:
Hello. This thread is fascinating. The link for te cheese scones was brilliant with some very clever ideas for how to adapt the use and Upndown you have put two brilliant sets of recipes on here. Fantastic!
Ive touched up a wall with white paint and done various odd jobs. I have a removal firm coming to give me a quote in the morning .

my potatoes are in the oven as we speak! I was going to have chicken with it, but it's pretty huge, so I think I'll have beans and cheese and salad instead :)

I'm impressed with ur 3miles - u shd set up a 100 mile challenge like ur Mum!

Here is the thread for the cheese scones. Really interesting to read all the ways people use them. CJ i think you and I would love them, us being cheese freaks!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/241753-cheese-scones-free-green.html

Thanks LJ - I'll be adding that to my small but growing repertoire! I keep meaning to cook more veggie stuff and this looks like it could fit that bill with quorn sausages, celery, onion, pepper and baked beans - v sophisticated- not!!

Last edited:
Hello. Ive just been reading the thread for cheese scones. You are so right they sound wonderful and amazingly versatile. I should be doing jobs but I keep getting sidetracked. I think Im tired really. lol

Yes you're bound to be tired with all you have to do and concerned about the sale - just do a bit at a time and keep popping in here in between to relieve stress and keep u motivated!

Thought I'd done well and restricted my time here today - but back on at this time!! Well I'm in my 9th week and still on plan (a few wobbles on the way) I've not been this committed for years and all down to this site and the lovely ppl on it!!

Last edited:
LJ - don't forget to tell us what you meant to earlier but u were concerned about the length of your post - I'm intrigued (code for nosey!) Night, Night hope you have a peaceful one.

Good morning my friends. Monday is here. Grey and wet and I don't want to go to work. The nice thing is I don't start until 10.30am today so I have time to loiter on Minimins for awhile. :)

Yesterday was not the best food day. I felt very hungry all day but suffer if I eat full meals.

Breakfast: yogurt and honey (1 syn)
Snack: banana
Lunch: broccoli soup and a slice of spelt bread (uncomfortable after this)
Snack: fresh cherries and a glass of wine 9 syns (uncomfortable from too many cherries)
Dinner: garlic chicken, cauliflower, smash, gravy (1.5 syns for the Maggi paper) felt horrible from eating too much as it was so nice.

So I have this fear now. As I have started eating more after my three weeks of starvation I will probably be holding more food in my digestive system and that will mean I weigh more. I have had a brilliant run of losing every week since I started SW and I am going to be upset if this weeks result is a sts or a gain. I am trying to come to terms with the likelihood of this happening and trying to work it out in my head that it's not so bad and I don't need to let it knock me off balance.

Mo, I hope your day goes well and that you have a nice low quote from the removal people.

Upndown, chocolate brownies sound so appealing. I can't try those due to my chocolate allergy. Probably for the best!

CJ you are already at work as I write this. i am sure we will be in touch.

Coughdrops and fat2go, hello! Where are you both?

Have a great day everyone. Stay on plan. Keep plodding forward. Hup 2, 3, 4!

Good morning. The removal man is running late so Im sitting here waiting for him. I feel quite anxious today but I think its just all the moving things. I dont feel hungry, which is highly unusual , so thats good. I hope everyone has a good day.

Back