LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

oh dear CJ. I do know what you mean. One wrong thing can trigger an avalanche. I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Yes I've experienced too many avalanches in my life!!

oooh that took some doing. Ooooh the temptation. Well done...

Well done for resisting! It is hard, when yummy food is in the house it calls me, like LJ was saying the other day. It calls louder and louder until it's eaten and gone. Many times I've had to go and eat things just because I know they are there!!

I cant buy a lamb joint at the moment. I just cant resist the skin and fat so I just cant buy it and have it in the house

Hello Upndown. Does the food sound ok?

It looks fine but I don't know the syns for the ready meal, the sausages or what gravy u used - I'll look up the syns but if let me know what gravy u used - also what & how many drinks did u have today - inc the type and amount of milk in hot drinks - I'll work it out - I'm in bed now so I'll do it in the morning - Night, Night

I cant buy a lamb joint at the moment. I just cant resist the skin and fat so I just cant buy it and have it in the house

Yes there's too many things I can't have in the house at the moment!

Hi all
Just had a quick catch up.
Demons, demons everywhere! LJ ive done the same this saturday, just craved and had the crap, felt soooo ill afterwards and put me in a mood to kill. Its like some1 else is in control of me. Im a gemini and wonder if i have a dual personality sometimes. :rolleyes:
I think its upndown that says its how we deal with it afterwards that matters.
New week for me so planning to give it my all again. Keep going everyone - supporting eachother is key.

Upndown- did u enjoy the jelly cheesecake? Sets nicely doesnt it?

Have a lovely week guys. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hello Upndown. I dont use milk at all. Allbmy drinks are black. The gravy was made with bisto granules. Have a good day.

Complex weekend, will update later today.

Upndown, thank you for taking the time to write your comprehensive response to my plea for help. You make some interesting points that help me take a step back and look at what I need to do.

Hi - I'm sorry u've been feeling rough and been off plan - I'm sure that's happened to most of us here and the reason that we joined. U've also stuck to the plan for a long time now - are u bored with things - do u need to ring the changes? Altho' I know u have experimented with different things along the way.

Lately I have been stuck in an eating rut. Lack of time, money concerns, stress, have meant I have stopped planning ahead, shopping, and making the effort to batch cook and freeze. I realise you are right. I am bored with my meals and need to step up and make the effort to make them more interesting and varied. My homework for today is to write a menu for this week and a shopping list. I will continue with my kefir smoothie breakfast but will have 'proper' food for lunches and dinners. Perhaps I should start having bread with my soup again. I stopped doing that and it meant lunch was just a bowl of soup. Not overly thrilling eh?

U have also been posting quite low calories some days and perhaps even tho' u've felt full (as I have myself on small amounts of food) but maybe over a week/month - ur body is missing some essential nutrient or needs more food? These are only my initial thoughts I'm certainly not saying that I know the answers or that ur doing anything wrong - who I am to even suggest that!!

I have stopped counting calories now. You could be right about the lack of nutrients. I hope my veggie smoothie breakfasts will give a boost to my nutrient intake. That is the idea behind people having those. Perhaps I will have a week of eating more superfree foods to give my body a boost.

If only someone could answer ur question 'why do we do it' I'm sure we'd be in a better place to deal with the problem - I think it's something we all need to tackle if we're to get to goal and go on to maintain. I think u've done well to stop today and of course u could have done a lot worse than u have - it could be as u say - cos ur stressed or a legacy from the Pringles.

When it happens it's like the demon takes control and no amount of logical talking to myself can banish him. Perhaps it is linked to the point you make about the body needing more nutrients, more calories.

These are some of the reasons when/why it happens to me:

1. When I'm not organised and don't have meals planned or the right food in - I tend grab at anything from sugary and fatty - like takeaways or heavily processed foods - then as u say I crave for more of the same and I find it difficult to call a halt - which is why I said ur doing well to stop today.

You are so right. Organising, planning is the key to success with this. There is something in processed foods that seem to act like a drug that makes you crave more. Whether it is additives or just the high fat and carb content, I don't know but I do know the after effects very well.

2. When I'm ultra busy, away from home (cos I have restricted choices) worried, ill, emotional, feeling low etc

3. Or sometimes when I've not made or planned interesting, appetising meals - I then fancy something else and to have it quickly and I impulse buy something like the things in my no. 1. in this list

4. I may have mentioned b4 that my hubby says I live to eat whilst he eats to live!! So I think about food often and only want to eat things I really like - whilst he is happy with whatever I plan, choose or suggest!

5. This doesn't happen often but sometimes I get bored with SW restrictions (I know there aren't many!!) or feel as if I'm rebelling against myself and SW!!!

I find SW can be a chore sometimes - does anyone else here feel the same? I now spend a fair amount of time finding interesting recipes/ideas to keep me on the straight & narrow - that may be why I've never got to goal/maintained in the past cos I regularly worked 12 hours days & my job involved a lot of travelling/staying in hotels.

Yes, I can identify with this. I sometimes feel tired of following the plan and having to make decisions about everything I eat. But in order to stay focussed and not get bored perhaps that research and cooking new things and discussions is what is needed. I have been feeling quite overwhelmed with the stress I am under with my work and taking the time to post here seems like just too much effort but i need to promise myself to make that effort because Minimins is what helps me the most. All you lovely supportive people are key to success and taking part is vital.

But since my vol redundancy/early retirement - I now have more time to do these things. U are working - so I think it's harder for u. On the plus side u like cooking - u also live alone so u don't have to consider others' food preferences and soon u'll be much happier with ur big move - but of course like all big life changes that in some ways can stressful.

Yes, my life will be completely different after my move. It's 132 days away and I will stop working a week or so before that. If I can just keep going until then... Life will still be busy but the stress should be gone. I will be working part time on my new business with CJ and part time as housekeeper/carer for my mother. CJ and her sister will be only a couple of miles away and we will probably do some cooking and eating together on a regular basis so CJ will help me stay on track. When I was there for a month before Christmas, staying on plan was easy. I needed to cook healthy meals for my mother so the SW plan was the logical way to do it. I envisage that continuing when I move and knowing that I need to cook healthy food for another person too will be the thing that keeps me focussed. When you are cooking for yourself only, there is nobody to notice or complain if you go off the rails.

I'm sure u'll get a lot of support in response to ur very honest post - keep posting and we'll all support u like u help us - take care and don't beat urself up!!

Thank you!

Morning everyone. I need to find time to catch up on the posts on my own thread! But in the words of Flylady (I love Flylady!) I just jumped in where I am.

Sitting here drinking my kefir and prune smoothie breakfast. That is my HexA and B for today. Lunch will be soup. Dinner, no idea yet. I hope you are all doing far better than me and weigh in is almost here again for the Wednesday weighers. Yikes. I may have blown it this week but feel ready to draw that line and start again. That's the most important lesson to learn isn't it? Starting again and again each time we wobble off plan is the way to success.

Have a nice Monday and I look forward to joining in more with all your interesting chats :)

Hi all
Demons, demons everywhere! LJ ive done the same this saturday, just craved and had the crap, felt soooo ill afterwards and put me in a mood to kill. Its like some1 else is in control of me. Im a gemini and wonder if i have a dual personality sometimes. :rolleyes:
New week for me so planning to give it my all again. Keep going everyone - supporting eachother is key.

Bubble, we can do this. I am starting again too and doing the planning. Well done for picking yourself up. We can do this!

LJ what happened to us, why did those demons get us? Do you think it was because we had a gain?

I think we used to have a reaction to these foods, but we didn't notice really as it was just how we felt all the time. Now our bodies are used to having nice fresh fruit and veg, it doesn't like it when we have these nasty foods. The reaction seems much worse as we notice it now.

Upndown many of your points are true for me to. Also my problem is when I have one off plan thing, I think well I've had one and ruined the day I might as well carry on..then have more off plan things!

I hope tomorrow We will be feeling a bit better and less bloated and horrible.

CJ I agree with everything you said. I didn't link it with the gain last week until I just read your comment. You may have hit the nail on the head. It's quite a blow to know you have to lose that weight a second time after a gain. Quite demoralising.

I do have much stronger reactions to certain foods now.

Hope you are feeling better today. I feel OK and have new determination.

Upndown, thank you for taking the time to write your comprehensive response to my plea for help. You make some interesting points that help me take a step back and look at what I need to do.

Hi - I'm sorry u've been feeling rough and been off plan - I'm sure that's happened to most of us here and the reason that we joined. U've also stuck to the plan for a long time now - are u bored with things - do u need to ring the changes? Altho' I know u have experimented with different things along the way.

Lately I have been stuck in an eating rut. Lack of time, money concerns, stress, have meant I have stopped planning ahead, shopping, and making the effort to batch cook and freeze. I realise you are right. I am bored with my meals and need to step up and make the effort to make them more interesting and varied. My homework for today is to write a menu for this week and a shopping list. I will continue with my kefir smoothie breakfast but will have 'proper' food for lunches and dinners. Perhaps I should start having bread with my soup again. I stopped doing that and it meant lunch was just a bowl of soup. Not overly thrilling eh?

U have also been posting quite low calories some days and perhaps even tho' u've felt full (as I have myself on small amounts of food) but maybe over a week/month - ur body is missing some essential nutrient or needs more food? These are only my initial thoughts I'm certainly not saying that I know the answers or that ur doing anything wrong - who I am to even suggest that!!

I have stopped counting calories now. You could be right about the lack of nutrients. I hope my veggie smoothie breakfasts will give a boost to my nutrient intake. That is the idea behind people having those. Perhaps I will have a week of eating more superfree foods to give my body a boost.

If only someone could answer ur question 'why do we do it' I'm sure we'd be in a better place to deal with the problem - I think it's something we all need to tackle if we're to get to goal and go on to maintain. I think u've done well to stop today and of course u could have done a lot worse than u have - it could be as u say - cos ur stressed or a legacy from the Pringles.

When it happens it's like the demon takes control and no amount of logical talking to myself can banish him. Perhaps it is linked to the point you make about the body needing more nutrients, more calories.

These are some of the reasons when/why it happens to me:

1. When I'm not organised and don't have meals planned or the right food in - I tend grab at anything from sugary and fatty - like takeaways or heavily processed foods - then as u say I crave for more of the same and I find it difficult to call a halt - which is why I said ur doing well to stop today.

You are so right. Organising, planning is the key to success with this. There is something in processed foods that seem to act like a drug that makes you crave more. Whether it is additives or just the high fat and carb content, I don't know but I do know the after effects very well.

2. When I'm ultra busy, away from home (cos I have restricted choices) worried, ill, emotional, feeling low etc

3. Or sometimes when I've not made or planned interesting, appetising meals - I then fancy something else and to have it quickly and I impulse buy something like the things in my no. 1. in this list

4. I may have mentioned b4 that my hubby says I live to eat whilst he eats to live!! So I think about food often and only want to eat things I really like - whilst he is happy with whatever I plan, choose or suggest!

5. This doesn't happen often but sometimes I get bored with SW restrictions (I know there aren't many!!) or feel as if I'm rebelling against myself and SW!!!

I find SW can be a chore sometimes - does anyone else here feel the same? I now spend a fair amount of time finding interesting recipes/ideas to keep me on the straight & narrow - that may be why I've never got to goal/maintained in the past cos I regularly worked 12 hours days & my job involved a lot of travelling/staying in hotels.

Yes, I can identify with this. I sometimes feel tired of following the plan and having to make decisions about everything I eat. But in order to stay focussed and not get bored perhaps that research and cooking new things and discussions is what is needed. I have been feeling quite overwhelmed with the stress I am under with my work and taking the time to post here seems like just too much effort but i need to promise myself to make that effort because Minimins is what helps me the most. All you lovely supportive people are key to success and taking part is vital.

But since my vol redundancy/early retirement - I now have more time to do these things. U are working - so I think it's harder for u. On the plus side u like cooking - u also live alone so u don't have to consider others' food preferences and soon u'll be much happier with ur big move - but of course like all big life changes that in some ways can stressful.

Yes, my life will be completely different after my move. It's 132 days away and I will stop working a week or so before that. If I can just keep going until then... Life will still be busy but the stress should be gone. I will be working part time on my new business with CJ and part time as housekeeper/carer for my mother. CJ and her sister will be only a couple of miles away and we will probably do some cooking and eating together on a regular basis so CJ will help me stay on track. When I was there for a month before Christmas, staying on plan was easy. I needed to cook healthy meals for my mother so the SW plan was the logical way to do it. I envisage that continuing when I move and knowing that I need to cook healthy food for another person too will be the thing that keeps me focussed. When you are cooking for yourself only, there is nobody to notice or complain if you go off the rails.

I'm sure u'll get a lot of support in response to ur very honest post - keep posting and we'll all support u like u help us - take care and don't beat urself up!!

Thank you!

Ur very welcome - I hope ur feeling better today. Know what u mean - I used to find taking lunches to work a bind - I'd also irk at the cost of salad, cold meats, tinned fish etc when I was ON SW but seemingly didn't mind the comparatively high cost of takeaways, choc, cakes, sandwiches etc when I was off plan!!

WHEN I was in organised mode I'd make different pastryless quiches with small amounts of ham & cheese with onions and other veg and buy a variety of salad stuff to ring the changes each day, do u like tinned fish? if u can be bothered SW scotch eggs are good too, wheat free wraps? and of course soup with ur spelt bread, the old home made 'luxury' sandwich can be lovely!

I'm sure in a few days - u'll be back on plan and making all kinds of nutritious food - wishing u a gentle hup 2, 3, 4!

Happy Monday everyone. I have not had a chance to catch up since Friday. Have been very tired since being with my grandchildren. When I left Saturday Flynn was unwell with sore throat.

I came back this morning left home at 5.30. was in bed 8pm last night. Mum could not take the day off as is a PC, Dad in fairly new job so difficult. So here I am.

Saturday food was eggs bacon toms & black pudding in dance school cafe. 10 syns
Dinner - chicken cabbage & 400g sw chips. Too many really. Fresh fuit & yogurt then would you believe 6 mullerlights.
Crazy

10 syns

Sunday
B: 2 eggs, lots mush & 2 sausages & 2 bread.
L BNS soup & fruit.
D: 2 chicken thighs, 2 sausages broccoli 230g boiled spud.
Jelly frozen fruits & Yogurt

Syns 3.5

4 sausages - 2
jelly - 1.5

Last edited:
Hi all

Yes it did set and a tasty treat after my meal! Thanks for the tip and next time I'll buy Morriso's free jelly!

Glad ur sounding brighter - BOO to totm!! Have a good day!

Yes I know how tiring looking after grandchildren can be (gorgeous as they are!) and I usually only have 1 at a time !

So I for one think u've done really well to stay on plan - and the 6 Mullers were better than eating a box chocs and the 'too many SW chips' miles better than a takeaway portion!!

Hope Flynn is feeling better soon - thank goodness for all day children's TV I say (altho' I was strict with it with my own children)

Have a good Monday!

Last edited:
Hello Upndown. I dont use milk at all. Allbmy drinks are black. The gravy was made with bisto granules. Have a good day.

Okay I'll have a look at ur food diary now.

Yes I know how tiring looking after grandchildren can be (gorgeous as they are!) and I usually only have 1 at a time !

So I for one think u've done really well to stay on plan - and the 6 Mullers were better than eating a box chocs and the 'too many SW chips' miles better than a takeaway portion!!

Hope Flynn is feeling better soon - thank goodness for all day children's TV I say (altho' I was strict with it with my own child

Have a good Monday!

Thank you. I agree, my kids were restricted on tv when they were young and although Flynn does not seem too bad - although not well enough for school - it is nice to be able to catch up without too many interuptions. Bless.

I worry about eating too much which is why I was cross about the mullers. But yes better that maybe sandwiches which is what I fancied.

Back