Long shift workers packed lunches ideas?!

Hey!

I work 11 hour shifts as a train hostess. I'm pretty much on board a train for that whole time and don't get proper breaks. I had been taking 2 tupperware boxes (all I can fit on my trolley) one filled with a superfree salad and one with pasta and some protein like chicken or tuna...very boring! I have no access to a microwave or fridge or toaster and I'm finding on an 11 hour shift this just isn't sustaining me! And my train pulls into charing cross station with it's outlets of burger king and panini places!

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas for packed lunches that can be a lunch and a dinner thats a bit more exciting then what I've been having?

Love to hear your ideas!
Becky
xx

I often take cold lunches and it's really tricky - my favourites are the ones that need a bit of planning and prep the night before. I love things like cold SW quiche / rice loaf or noodles with something - my favourite is with fresh pineapple and prawns. If I can manage to do a couple of meals like that each week, I find it's easier to get through the other days with just the basic salad / protein thing.

Batchelors savory rice cooked and cooled mixed with tuna and EL salad cream is lovely cold and is 2 syns max.

Tuna nicoise (bad spelling lol) - big salad with tuna, boiled New potatoes, boiled eggs quartered, cooked green beans and fat free dressing - free

Fake fajitas - cook steak or chicken with onions, peppers and fajita seasoning, get some large lettuce leaves and stack up 2 or 3 and put some of the mixture in the middle and wrap like a fajita! Nice cold and can have loads as its free

Make a sandwich using your hexb and loads of protein as its filling. I'd have chicken and bacon with spicy mayo (EL mayo mixed with peri peri seasoning) for 0.5 syns or steak with fried onions and peppers with mustard and EL mayo for 1 syn

Sweet and sour mugshots are free and all you need is hot water

Snacks - loads of fruit with fluff (a jar of melted marshmallow from Asda) for 1 syn per tablespoon, 3 light babybel as your hexa, make your own free homous by blending a can of chickpeas with frylight garlic lemon and salt n pepper and have with veg crudites, freddos are 5 syns, quavers are 4.5!

Hope this helps : )

Back