Looking for a curry reciepe low in syns

chantsy86

Hi never cooked a curry from scratch want to give it a go as I love curry but only ever used jars or pastes to make curry has any one got any good recipes for me to follow syn free or low syns please

Pete's Peanut Curry

Pete’s Peanut Curry
(Adopted from Tesco’s real food booklet)
Not suitable for people with nut allergies

Serves 2
Ingredients
150g Pre-cooked chicken (s) (ff)
1 Onion (s) (sff)
1 chilli, deseeded & finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Pepper, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Knorr “herb stockpot”
1tsp cumin
1tsp coriander
1tsp turmeric
1tbsp madras curry powder
1tbsp sweetener
2 Garlic cloves (sff)
2tbsp smooth/crunchy peanut butter 9syns/2=4.5syns each person
2cm piece of ginger, grated
200mL hot water
400g chopped tomatoes (s) (sff)
Handful of coriander

Method

In a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light, cook the chicken until browned, remove and set aside.
Spray the frying pan again with fry Light, cook onion, garlic, ginger & chilli until soft.
Add the cumin, turmeric, curry powder & coriander, cook for 2 minutes then add the chicken, tomatoes & sweetener, cook for 10 mins. Place the stockpot on top of the cooking food and allow to infuse.
Add the peanut butter and the 200mL of water mix well & cook on a medium heat until the chicken is hot, and the sauce has thickened, sprinkle the coriander over the food.
Serve with rice & side salad.
(Finish the meal with chilled melon)

Peanut Curry (Small).JPG

Pete’s Butternut Squash Curry (Revisited)

Serves 2
Ingredients
1 Onion, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Chilli, finely chopped (s) (sff)
1 Garlic clove, sliced (sff)
1 Knorr “herb” stockpot
1 Knorr Chicken stockpot, made into stock with 500mL water
1” Cube of ginger, finely sliced
1tsp cumin
1tsp coriander
1tsp turmeric
1tsp garam masala
1tsp Hot Madras curry powder
1tbsp Sweetener
250g Pre-cooked chicken, cubed (s) (sff)
350g Butternut Squash, cut into cubes, not peeled (s) (sff)
400g Chopped Tomatoes (s) (sff)

Method

In a large saucepan sprayed with Fry Light cook the onions, garlic, chilli & ginger until soft.
Add the butternut squash, tomatoes, sweetener, and cook for 20 mins, add the herb stockpot and allow to infuse.
Add all spices except the garam masala, chicken stock & bring to the boil, cook for 5 mins then remove from the heat, using a hand blender reduce to a liquid, add the chicken & simmer for 15 mins, add the garam masala & continue simmering for a further 5 mins, serve with rice.

Butternut Squash Revisited (Small).JPG

Pete’s Beef Curry Dopiaza-2

Serves 4

Ingredients

225g long grain rice (ff)
400g chopped tomatoes (s)(sff)
450g stewing steak with the fat removed (ff)
½ tsp asafetida powder
½ tsp fenugreek powder
1tsp coriander seeds
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp turmeric powder
1tsp garam masala
1tbsp sweetener
1 cup of peas (ss)(ff)
2tsp curry powder
4 large onions, 2 finely chopped, 2 sliced (s)(sff)
4 cardamom seeds
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (sff)
Knorr Dark Stock pot with 300mL water

Method

In a mortar & pestle, crush the seeds and set to one side.
Dry fry the meat to remove the fat, cook until brown then set aside.
Fry the finely chopped onions in a saucepan sprayed with Fry Light, add the fenugreek powder, cook the onions until brown, add the garlic, return the meat to the pan, and add the crushed spices and the other spices, except the garam masala.
(Boil the 2 remaining onions until cooked then set aside.)
Cook the meat for 10mins then add the tomatoes, stock & sweetener, cook for 40mins then add the boiled onions, peas, garam masala and cook for a further 5mins, serve with rice.

Beef Dopiaza-3 (Small).JPG

Can anybody please give me a link to Petes recipes, I've been searching for ages. Thanks in advance x

Hi Joanne.
Follow the link below or you can follow "slimming world!------"slimming world recipes"------"pete's recipe book"

Pete.

Thanks Pete I've now subscribed, lovely recipes there x

Pete what kinda chillie and peppers do you use, red green etc x

I use whatever the Supermarket have in stock! I buy the packs of peppers all different colours and the chillies are in a mixed pack! I try anything that's available.......
Pete

I am going to have Aloo Gobi today.

Oh my days, I found the Petes chicken, peanut butter curry recipe last night and it's now in my slow cooker, ready for tea, it tastes amazing!! I've made a mint, cucumber, tomato,onion salad in the fridge, will serve with rice THANK YOU PETE.

Attachments

• image-1974347465.jpg
    image-1974347465.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 252
Hi never cooked a curry from scratch want to give it a go as I love curry but only ever used jars or pastes to make curry has any one got any good recipes for me to follow syn free or low syns please

i make syn free curries that taste like takeaways i got a fab curry cookbook off amazon and just removed the oil and cook out my spices with pureed onion instead do have a go at cooking from scratch its waaaaaay better than any jar

Omg my tea was amazing! Shame Mr didn't enjoy the heat though :( I love hot curries.

Attachments

• image-3174586754.jpg
    image-3174586754.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 238
cat yoyo greaves said:
i make syn free curries that taste like takeaways i got a fab curry cookbook off amazon and just removed the oil and cook out my spices with pureed onion instead do have a go at cooking from scratch its waaaaaay better than any jar

What curry book was it you bought?

Today I made Petes peanut curry again but made it green day. Substituted the chicken for 3 large sweet potatoes reduced to 35 p :) its made 4 portions, 3 for the freezer, one for my tea tomorrow. I bet it's cost me a £1 :) I'll count 2 syns per portion. Tastes amazing :)

Attachments

• image-689441071.jpg
    image-689441071.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 132
a really quick and easy curry recipe that someone at my club told me about is

1 tin chickpeas
chicken stock
curry powder

blend chickpeas as much as you can using a hand blender
add chicken stock until it is the consistency that you like your curry suce
then add curry powder to taste

i add chicken/prawns/beef/quorn, mushroom and onion and it tastes and looks like my local chinese takeaway :D

Back