Loose Skin/Sagging...

scotsnat38

....Anyone who has lost a lot of weight suffered from loose skin or everything 'going south' so to speak? Bit worried about that..as it's such a rapid loss! :confused:

Hi Scotsnat
Like you I am worrying about this a lot lately. My skin wasn't the firmest to begin with and yes, things are going south rapidly at the moment :eek:. My LLC said that we should really give our skin at least a year to catch up with the rapid weight loss, which I suppose makes sense as we are losing it very fast. Partly it is down to genetics as well, some peoples skin just seems to be more firm and forgiving than others. Also, I suppose we can't really avoid the issue of excercising to tone up those bits.:character00116:
Has anyone got any tips for good creams and lotions that actually do work in helping the skin along????

I use dove firming cream. I am not sure if it works, although my tum doesnt seem as saggy as it did. It does make your skin feel gorgeous tho, and thats a bonus. Others here use Palmers cocoa butter and Bio-Oil too, but I havent tried them.

I think time IS the answer, and then think about other options re-skin etc, once our bodies have settled.

Booked in for a tummy tuck in 3 weeks and I tried everything to stop the sag but if you lose too much weight then I am afraid it is a battle scar.

M.

Can anyone recommend a good firming cream/whether or not they actually make a difference? I'm only 26 but fairly big chested and am worried that when the weight comes off at such a speed, everything will sag and I want to prevent that as much as is possible...the thought of surgery doesn't appeal to me!! :confused:

I think the degree of sagginess is dependent on a few factors -
1. age (older you are less elasticity)
2. amount of weight lost (more you lose more risk of spare skin)
3. pre-weightloss tone (ie.. I was fat and flabby as opposed to fat and toned)
4. had kids or not (i.e. skin already been stretched tight as a drum!)

I now have major skin and sagginess issues and no amount of waiting nor exercise is going to address the problem so it's a choice (finances permitting) either put up with it or get it removed surgically. I'm up for the latter (although mortgage lenders may not agree!) as I hate the prospect of having legs like an elephant's backside and a belly with an apron of revolting skin sagging over me for the rest of my days! Not to mention the batwings and nasty socks with golfballs in type boobs! lol

ALL that said, I'd rather have lost this weight and have these kind of things to deal with than risk early death and major health risks and no energy.

No creams made a jot of difference to my skin, if they really worked then we wouldn't need cosmetic surgeons I guess.. lol.. however, it is lush to have soft, scented, saggy skin :D ;)

Good luck with the op M. I just really would like to avoid having to go down that route if at all possible (aversions to hopsitals etc) but I suppose only time will tell. Don't even mind having it a bit wobbly as long as I can avoid the dreaded hanging over effect of my tummy (three pregnancies didn't help with that one). For now it will have to be excercise and creams and hoping for the best. Do any of think that wearing good suck it all in underwear will help the skin to shrink back or is it just a waste of money apart from looking better in tight clothes??

Its a toughie! I'm still on the way but already know my boobs and tummy just wont go back no matter what I do! Boobies are already 90 year olds and still a few stone to go! A new bra has helped uplift them (the cleavage is quite yummy if I dont say so mysef!) but when the bra is off down to my knees the go!! Despite this is still best to moisturise and I think palmers streatch mark stuff & bio oil came out well in the "look good naked" tests that they did! I will see re surgery as finance is also an option for me but if I have the money there is no question of a boob job & tummy tuck but only after I've maintained for a year. Good luck icemoose & FFF - you're both an inspiration & I hope that the skin removal gives you both the bodies you've worked so hard for! Keep us updated!

Pretty much everyone will get saggy skins but to varying degrees. Creams nor exercise help in this case. It's a case of lump it or cut it off with a knife! (with a surgeons help of course).

I've got the dreaded (big) apron at the front but I have noticed that it has shrunk and seems firmer, I am slapping cream on but only 2 or 3 times a week. Am hoping that it will keep on shrinking but know that at some point I will need surgery.

Cath

Hello

Agree with everyone else here.

I have used Bio-oil, which hasn't helped so much with toning up but it definitely has reduced the colour of the stretch marks, if that helps.

Mike - good luck with the op'. I read your blog before starting LighterLife and then as I went into ketosis (a few days!). It was an inspiration and kept me going in the early days, so thank you. I really hope all goes well with the surgery and that you are pleased with the results afterwards.

I'm still losing so can't comment on long-term effects on skin.

Mrs L xxxx

I am using Clarins firming cream tis a bit dear £30 quid ish but I think its doing ok, I am still losing having lost 3 stone so time will tell at the end result

I've been fairly lucky to avoid too much of a hanging tum (although I still have a wrinkly one) but did have to resort to an uplift to hoik up the saggy boobs :rolleyes:

My arms and thighs are still a bit of a disaster area and I'm planning to get the batwings sorted out early next year ..

BUT I'd still rather be a size 12 to a size 24 any day of the week/month/year :D

Very intresting to hear everyones stories , think you very much have to love your body and what you have size 24 or a size 12 i know which one id rather be saggy or not ! to all those that are lucky to have elastic skin .... lucky buggers !
to all those who dont ... love what you have xxx

Hi,
I am using Bio Oil at least daily and i have noticed a different in the colour (stretchmarks), but not sure on the firmness. I will probably look at a Tummy Tuck as well, but i have to get there first.

It is amazing how we are never happy LOL xxxxx I just hope the double zero's out there do not like their hair (meow) xx

Very interesting article.

I'm about to start CD with over 7 stone to lose and I am worried about ending up with loose skin.

Not sure if I'm convinced by the article or not - think I'll try the cocoa butter and bio oil along with some exercise and keep my fingers crossed !!

I hope that I can give a bit of hope to everyone.

Firstly thank you MidnighSparkles for that superb link. It has really helped to reassure me.

I've lost just over 100lbs and have been maintaining for over three months now.

I have definitely noticed a small improvement in the appearance of the loose skin I have on by abdomen.

I am now certain that it is not a 'trick of the eye' because a couple of weeks ago I have felt able to buy a tankini to wear on holiday. It looks great.

A few months ago, when I first got to goal, I tried some on and just felt that they looked wrong on me.

I see an improvement with my boobs too. They are not pointing south and look slightly better.

I reckon that if I continue to maintain and eat good heathy food which contributes to optimum cell renewal, I will see further improvements over time.

I hope that helps to reassure you.

Back