loose skin!

nettie

Gold Member
Hi everyone,
I just wondered how many people have found that they have had loose skin after losing weight? I am really worried about having excess skin.... especially on my arms! From my wrist to me elbow is fine even now but I have massive arms, I hate them so much and I never wear a top that has less that elbow length sleeves. My bingo wings are really bad and I just wondered if other people who may be similar have got rid of bingo wings or they have just gotten worse with the weight loss?
I want to lose at least 5 stone but 6 ideally. I never want to be really slim as my body shape wouldn't suit it, me and my sisters all have bigger hips and thighs so I dont want to be really slim on top.
I am currently 16st 2lbs.... embarrassing! and I think I would be happy at 11st.

HI :) I have lost 7.5 stone so far and to be honest mt skin isnt half as bad as i expected it to be !!! I dont have much loose skin n my arms at all , I have some on the inside of my thighs at the top , and my stomach is a little squish y , but it probably would have been after 2 kids and 1 a c section anyway !!! I use palmers cocoa butter firming cream, which seems to have helped a little , and smells great too :)

Everyone has such different skina nd some people will ping back into shape and some wont , there is no way of knowing before you do it . But to me I dont care so much , I look 10000 times better than i did at 19 stone , even with a bit of saggy skin and stretch marks , and when i get to target I will assess and see if I need any nips and tucks anywhere .

Thank you for the reply.
I know I will probably never be able to afford to get any really loose skin removed just wish I knew what I could look like after the weight loss.

I was talking about this with some people on here the other day. This is a huge worry of mine too and I now moisturise religiosly. My arms are so big, I mean I am bit all over but my arms are what worries me as I want to be able to wear short sleeve tops. I exercise now and I jsut hope I am lucky and dont get too much loose skin. I would love to hear from someone that started at my sort of weight.

I have loose skin on my stomach and the top of my arms from when I lost weight previously (6 stone sadly put 2 back on which is why I am back on sw). It does really upset me at times e.g. holidays, exercise has helped to tone it slightly but that is as far as it will go sadly I fear I will always have this. Dont get me wrong though I am generally happier and healthy which is more important!

I read an article the other day about 'the loose skon myth' as he called it. Started off very sceptical thinking the writer must be trying to sell something.

Basically, the article said that what we think is loose skin is actually pockets of fat that we haven't lost yet, and that the only way to get rid is to exercise to tone those areas, and once toned, lose a bit more weight if necessary.

Don't know if i necessarily agree 100% with him but it did make me feel a bit better as it at least makes it possible for me to get rid without surgery. Not that it is a problem i have as yet with 4 stone to go :)

At the moment I dont let my legs, tops of my arms or my belly show because its just repulsive and I'm not sure that even when I have lost weight that I will get my legs out then... I may start to wear skirts but with tights. I'll be gutted if I can't even wear a vest top or short sleeved top without feeling disgusting! :(
why did I ever let myself get this way... its my own daft fault really!

Nettie- I am 16 stone and starting sw on Monday, I also have a similar amount of weight to lose as well, and I too am TERRIFIED of the loose skin factor, since I put most of the weight on my stomach and already have a lot of stretch marks!

nik86- hope you dont mind, but can I ask what age bracket you are in - 20's/30's etc- some people say it depends on age?

It depends on a lot of different factors and is impossible to predict - age, genetics, skin elasticity, how much you you lost, who long it took you to lose it, whether you exercised or not. It saddens me that so many people seem to worry excessively about this.

I have a fair bit of loose skin now that I have lost the weight, BUT I was informed by both the doc & the gym instructor that it will go with exercise. It might take up to two years but it won't stay forever. So I'm happily working away at toning etc. I know it'll be gone and it is worth it!

Nettie- I am 16 stone and starting sw on Monday, I also have a similar amount of weight to lose as well, and I too am TERRIFIED of the loose skin factor, since I put most of the weight on my stomach and already have a lot of stretch marks!

nik86- hope you dont mind, but can I ask what age bracket you are in - 20's/30's etc- some people say it depends on age?

I have terrible stretch marks from having my first child, luckily they didnt get any worse when I had my second. I am going to start exercising my ass off! lol x

Just reading this months cosmo and it's got a section on loving your body, here are some top tips they recommend for skin:

1. Body brushing. Improves circulation and brightens and tightens skin.

2. Massage. Fights cellulite and breaks fatty deposits.

3. Moisturise. Quenches skin.

4. Cherries. Increase the bodies collagen production so slows the rate of wrinkle formation.

5. Pomegranate juice. Strengthens the Walls of the tiny blood vessels that supply nutrients to your skin.

6. Firming body lotion. Keeps skin firm and supple, one with Q10 is best as it's naturally found in skin.

7. Blueberries. Vitamins C and E and bursting worth antioxidants that protects skin from free radicals.

8. Green tea. High in vitamins C, D and K, zinc and iron. Contains anti inflammatory properties.

9. Avocados. Packed with vitamin E, potassium and fatty acids. The rich oils penetrates deep into skin to promote. Soft radiant complexion.

Sent from Laura's iPhone using MiniMins

It depends on a lot of different factors and is impossible to predict - age, genetics, skin elasticity, how much you you lost, who long it took you to lose it, whether you exercised or not. It saddens me that so many people seem to worry excessively about this.

Well said Circes, all the exercising and other sorts of pills and potions won't make a scrap of difference in the end. Of course I agree with doing what you can in eating healthily and exercising properly, while you can, is bound to be very beneficial as well.

Circes said:

I don't think its something i worry about as yet tbh. Not an issue, but definitely something i'd like to minimise. Having said that, if someone told me up front i would end up with saggy skin if i lost a load of weight, i'd still be losing the weight.

Circles - did you mean that exercising can help with the saggy skin thing? I hope so as this leaves it more in my control!

t. It saddens me that so many people seem to worry excessively about this.[/QUOTE
I appreciate your sentiment, honestly, but I completely agree with the other posters on here who are very worried about it. As a young single woman in my twenties, it would have a very negative impact on my self-esteem and dating, for example, if I ended up with folds of skin on my stomach. If I was older or married, I feel like it might be easier.

Of course the flipside of my own argument is that I dont always have great self-esteem at this size. But at least when people look at me , i know I have no "hidden surprises" under my clothes! That would definitely have a negative impact on any potential new relationships for me personally.

However I appreciate that we all are different , and Im just sharing my thoughts on it :)

Thank you to all who have offered some positive tips to try to combat it !!

I definitely have loose skin and undoubtedly will still have when I get to target. However I knew that when I started - if I compared myself to other 'large' people, I had flabbier skin than they did. I put that down to a combination of time spent being overweight, genetics and luck. So there will be some who get away with it, others who don't. However, no regrets because my self esteem is waaaaaaay higher now than it was before I lost the weight, 'hidden surprises' and all !!!!

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

I must admit I haven't really noticed too much 'loose skin', but my boobs have certainly lost their fullness (Im quite busty), which Im not too happy about, but that is just vanity for me. The benefits of losing the weight has certainly outweighed 'saggy boobs' & the cost of having to buy new bra's!

Hello,

Just wanted to add my own 2 pennys worth, I lost over 6 stone previosly with ww and what i did, was body brush everynight before showering, then i would moisturise everyday with palmers coco butter, and use bio oil on problem areas, exfoliate body and face 3 times a week.

I did this from when i started to lose the weight and i can honestly say i never had much of a problem, ok, so i wasnt lean and toned but i didnt really have any major excess baggage x

I have a little bit of 'loose' skin. It's not disgusting or anything but maybe not as taught as someone who has always been slim. However, it's like my battle scars to proudly show that I've had the will and determination to lose so much weight and if someone doesn't like that then they can just fudge off! Get outt daaa doorrr sista! :D

Thanks for the replies everyone. Whether I get loose skin or not I know I will continue as I'd rather have loose skin and be able to have a healthy life that stay this size forever :)

Back