Losingit's losing it journey

I don't think regularly going in and out of ketosis is a good idea but every few months doesn't hurt - some people find that a diet break spurs on their loss. Again I'm not sure that's true of me - I took a weeks break over the jubilee and while I lost the gain afterwards and continued losing, it did set me back and I don't think it gave me any kind of boost.

Jim sort of does it in reverse - now he's maintaining he goes back into ketosis every few months when he's noticed a gain. It does seem to work for him, and as a maintenance technique it's not bad - but in my case I can gain 6lbs water weight in a day off the diet, which takes a week to lose, then a week per 1-2lbs extra... I'm not sure it would be the best idea for me... If I ever get to maintenance!

In past experiences of doing the diet, I've found that giving it a year or so between attempts has always meant I've had that big first loss again. Probably less time would also be fine if it's long enough for your body to have settled into carby ways again. As you say, I think it's very dependent on how you eat when off the plan - but eating in such a way as to provoke a big first loss is likely to have incurred a big gain in the meantime....

Anyway, sorry for rambling. You're certainly doing fantastically and long may it continue!

thanks for the recipe link ladyfelsham, i'll have a go at that.

When i came off Atkins back around easter time, i seem to remember piling on about 5 or 6lbs immediately which combined with life at the time totally demotivated me (even though i knew it was mostly water weight). I started eating carby stuff but often skipped meals as well as having days where i'd carefully restrict my calories to under 1800. I found i was ravenously hungry all the time the more i ate carbs, so started cutting down a bit and upping my protein just for the sake of keeping hunger at bay, although never following Atkins properly. Then i got into a bit of a binge-starve cycle, which wasn't a very happy experience although it probably was the reason why when i started back on Atkins recently i managed to be less than when i left back in Easter - by accident more than plan.

Anyway, i don't think jumping in and out of ketosis would be good as a method to lose weight although sounds interesting for maintenance. Even if it did work to lose i'm not sure i'd want to do it - what i like about this diet is how 'stable' it makes you feel, you are not all over the place all the time and once into it i know i'll lose a steady 1 to 2 lbs each week as long as i stick to plan. I get seriously demotivated at seeing large gains on the scales and i don't think my head could cope with seeing the +5lbs or +6lbs or even more that comes with being properly knocked out of ketosis, it sounds ridiculous but i can barely handle a 1lb gain on the scale.

As far as reaching goal weight goes, if and when i ever get there i think i'll aim to lose an extra few pounds below my goal weight so that if i come out of ketosis and gain water i'll still be at or below my goal. Not sure if i can be disciplined enough to follow the atkins plan to the letter but will try and give it a go i suppose - i do know i won't be able to go back to my old ways, but i'm hoping my carb threshold is high enough to enjoy more variety ;-). I think the key this time is in having a firm line you draw in the sand where i take action if my weight goes over... in the past the reason why i gained weight was often down to me mentally raising the line of what weight was acceptable - i think an acceptable limit for me is 10lbs over goal weight and no more, it's a point where it is do-able to lose the weight relatively quickly and easily. No more hitting 13,14,15,16,17,18,19 stone and thinking "ah well, it's not so bad, 20 stone is worse"... !!!

Hi Losingit, welcome back and mega well done for getting off to a flying start:)

OK i've put that 1lb back on and it seems to be staying on, i'm at 15stone11 now. This always happens when i start exercising, it's frustrating but i'm not stopping the exercise because it makes me feel so much better overall. Plus, i need to try and tone up as i'm scared of having loose skin once a few more stone has gone, my tummy is already looking 'baggy'. Decided i'm going to go out and purchase some really decent scales which measure fat % and muscle mass and hydration and more to help me stay motivated while doing exercise - i can cope with losing more slowly if i can see the muscle weight increasing, or that i have more water in my system (due to muscle repair).

Someone on another topic recommend these: Tanita BC543 Body Composition Monitor Scale: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty they are pricey but look like something i could love very much indeed :).

You really can't judge losses or gains on a daily basis on Atkins. It doesn't matter if you're the perfect angelic poster girl for doing the diet as prescribed, you will not lose in a linear way. You don't receive a loss as a reward for being good and the scales won't only go down. It's definitely frustrating but if you only weigh weekly it should affect you less. Ive been known to randomly gain 2 or 3lb mid week for no obvious reason!

It can be hormones or water retention - if you're exercising your body will retain some water to heal your muscles asyou said -or just how hot it is on a given day.

You've said you're really affected by what the scales say. I know it's so tempting to keep getting on them, especially after the early woosh that is so motivating, but after the first or second week we slow to a 1- 2lb loss per week in general. It's a fragile loss and it really is easier to check that weekly.

Scales look very cool, though! Mine are ancient but they'll do for now.

Hi well done on the loss, a great start, i would agree with not weighing too often, it is easy to become obsessed. My scales are quite old and are not digital, the dial is small and it is difficult to read them, but this suits me fine because i know if i had a new digital scales i would be on and off them all the time. good luck with the diet.

I've decided not to buy the fancy scales afterall (for now). I need to learn to chill out a bit more and not be so obsessive.

My mum has been impressed with how i'm looking and is now giving Atkins a go herself after being on weightwatchers for what seems like forever (at least 3 years) and losing 2 stone. It made me feel happy that she is giving it a go and has given me more of a boost / motivation to continue. She weighs just a few pounds heavier than me but is 3 inches shorter than me, so we might have a bit of a competition on our hands now ;-)... yet more motivation to stick with it and also keep up the exercise.

Had to go to the doctors today for a 'new patient check' ( i moved house 3 weeks ago). I saw a healthcare assistant, who weighed me and asked questions about my lifestyle. I really don't like going to these kind of appointments, likewise with NHS "nutritionists" - they always look down their skinny noses at you and tell you to eat more lettuce and not follow "dangerous" diets like Atkins. At least, that has been my experience. Anyway, this woman wasn't too bad and she wasn't skinny either which was nice, and neither did she tell me to come off Atkins immediately because i could die at any minute, she said it was great if it worked for me, although she didn't exactly support the idea. My blood pressure was 128 / 78 which i think is pretty good i think?

Also went for a drive out to get my little girl some shoes for school. She is due to start next week but we only had the place confirmed last week and i cannot get hold of the school to know what the uniform is meant to be or anything, so i doubt she'll be starting on the first day, but nevermind. I don't have a prospectus or any information at all about the school other than what i've read in the ofsted report.... which in itself concerned me a bit as it's not the best school in town, but i don't have any choice since we are applying just a week before term starts. If she doesn't settle there or it's too bad i'm going to take her out and homeschool her while i wait for a place somewhere better, but hopefully she does OK, and i'll do stuff at home with her anyway.

Had a strange and complete lack of appetite today. I did eat a lot of meat yesterday so it could be a hangover from that. Today ate breakfast (sausage and bacon), then a square of 85% chocolate, a strawberry, and a slice of cheese for lunch. Now considering dinner but i'm really not hungry. Need some veggies i guess, maybe a stirfry with chicken....

Anyway, enough rambling for now :).

Oh Lovingit - that all sounds so positive, I'm so pleased for you :)

And well done on the nurse visit - I think we all understand your trepidation but sounds like she's going to be supportive. i'm no expert on blood pressusre, but sounds like you're in the normal range to me :)

Oh Lovingit -

Back to normal Susie - renaming everyone lol. Good for your Mum, a little healthy competition goes a long way. And glad the nurse wasn't too judgemental. My surgery recommends the Mediteranean diet but it's not for me. Each to their own I say, what works for you is the best woe for you.

STILL not lost a single pound this week despite being super strict on my carbs and keeping to around 15-18g a day - and it's weigh in tomorrow :( . I really think it is the exercise (just completed a full week of Kettleworx), time will tell - if i still haven't lost a pound in another two weeks i'll start getting really fed up. I FEEL better though but maybe i'm just kidding myself.

Going outside to do some weeding now. Life is fun.

Hi losingit,

How many weeks have you been on the diet? If this is your second or third week then it's absolutely typical not to lose much if anything. I've seen it time and time again on forums, and I myself lost practically nothing in my third week after losing a stone in the first fortnight. That just seems to be the pattern for many people.

Keep going and you'll start losing again :)

And in the meantime, if you're feeling better that's a non-scale victory right there, and they're every bit as important as those annoying numbers on the scale!:D

Ditto Scrumbles. I've regularly stalled in either the second or third week - its so common there's a note in the Atkins tips and tricks sticky about it - it is discouraging especially for newer atkinsers who think that first week loss is going to continue unabated. Keep on plan and I bet you have a couple of lbs to show for it next week.

Just never had this happen in week 2 before... been into ketosis so many times and each time i get a good loss week 2 as well as week 1 :(. Ah well... keep going.

Went on a 2.5 mile treasure hunt walk today with my 4 year old. I'm exhausted.

Don't get disheartened! You'll get there! And sounds like you're feeling better in yourself ... It will starting coming off again ... Hold firm x

Weigh in day and a nice surprise, lost 2lbs overnight ;-). Happy bunny again now, off to update my tickers.

Well done on the loss, atkins weight loss is never linear, always sts and sudden drops.

Wow!!! Well done Losing!! X

thanks everyone.

Feeling really low today, just gotta get on with things i guess...

On the brighter side, Kettleworx has been going well. In to week 2 now and i'm really noticing a difference in my body shape, as well as getting to enjoy the constant dull ache in my muscles from doing the exercise :). My clothes are not fitting very well and hanging off me around my waist and hips, which is great news - will have to go clothes shopping soon, yippeee. I'm definitely getting muscles in places i never even knew i had them.

Still sticking to plan 100%, not so much of a sniff of any carbs yet.

Back