Lost a bit of weight..........BUT

aggae

January 20th I weighed 17stone 6lbs, April 23rd I weigh 14stone 13lbs. (From what I can remember, give or take a few lbs)

I've lost about 35lbs and gone from a BMI of 37 to a BMI of 31.8.

BUT, I am not happy at all. I've lost a lot of weight by changing my diet and working out more, but I can't see a difference AT ALL. Nobody has mentioned it, Nobody has said I look like I've lost weight, and considering I've lost about 36lbs and need to lose 59 more to get to my goal weight, I feel I should have noticed a big change.

I guess my question is, When did / have you started to notice a change? I am getting really woried that I am not losing fat and I am just losing muscle? But I don't know why this would happen....I am eating right.

Surely I should have noticed a changed after losing about 1/3 of the weight I need to lose to become a "healthy weight"

January 20th I weighed 17stone 6lbs, April 23rd I weigh 14stone 13lbs. (From what I can remember, give or take a few lbs)

BUT, I am not happy at all. I've lost a lot of weight by changing my diet and working out more, but I can't see a difference AT ALL. Nobody has mentioned it, Nobody has said I look like I've lost weight, and considering I've lost about 36lbs and need to lose 59 more to get to my goal weight, I feel I should have noticed a big change.

I guess my question is, When did / have you started to notice a change? I am getting really woried that I am not losing fat and I am just losing muscle? But I don't know why this would happen....I am eating right.

Surely I should have noticed a changed after losing about 1/3 of the weight I need to lose to become a "healthy weight"

First of all, congratulations on such a massive weight loss so far, and you should feel proud for what you've achieved.

So, nobody is telling you that you look like you've lost weight eh? Don't worry - alot of people find talking about people's weight quite a touchy subject, and tend to avoid it since it could be taken as an offence to the person in question ( you trying to say I'm fat etc)

An idea for you would be to take pictures as you progress, then look at them in a slideshow and you will definitely notice the difference - to optimise this further, possibly take photos in the exact same pose

Best of luck for the rest of you're journey, and I'm more than 100% sure the change is noticable so far, just nobody wants to cross the line and pluck up the courage to say any thing :)

Please, please don't be disheartened. Last year I altered my BMI by a similar amount to you before people noticed my weight loss too. Only a couple of people commented even then: it's already been said but it's true, weight is such a touchy subject that a lot of people won't bring it up.

I struggled to see a difference myself some days too. I've still got a long way to go to get to my goal but even so I have some days where I just feel fat and horrible and other days where I realise how pleased I am to have lost so much weight so far and to be on my way to my goal. I can also see and feel the differences in myself sometimes too, I feel much healthier than I used to and although I still really cover up a lot I do feel a bit more confident about clothes than I did before.

Stick with it, it will change with time. You've acheived something fantastic in your weight loss so far and you deserve to be proud of that. It will be fat and not muscle you're losing. It will become more and more noticeable the closer you get to your goal so keep up the hard work and it will all be so worth it in the end. You're already really far into your weight loss journey: don't see that as a negative about how little change you see/feel yourself, but see it as a positive for how far you've come and how close the end goal really could be :)

An idea for you would be to take pictures as you progress, then look at them in a slideshow and you will definitely notice the difference - to optimise this further, possibly take photos in the exact same pose

Photos is a good idea but I'd add to that the suggestion of taking measurements also :) I'm guilty of not doing it (or paying attention to it) often enough myself, but it can be a good boost when you find you're losing inches. I tend to measure the circumference of my thigh, calf, waist, tummy and upper arm, but go for whichever you think you'd find most helpful :)

i cant see a difference in myself, but my old clothes are a good 4 inches too big!

youve done fantastic weight loss wise, so be proud of what you achieved! even though people havent said anything, they might not want to offend you by saying anything, sounds daft i know but sometimes thats how it is!

do you have anty pictures of you before the weight loss? if so, take a pic of the new you and compare the two, bet theres a big difference :D

youve done really really well, be proud of yourself!

Well done aggae on your tremendous weight loss!!! That's fab.
I find people very hesitant to mention weight loss as it insinuates that you were needing to lose pounds to start! Also, how tall are you? That amount may not show the same on different body types.

And finally - remembering that you're doing this for YOU, not because others will notice :) The attention for losing weight puts you in a very weird position... the focus shifts from the important things and you become obsessed with the attention (at least that's the opinion on Oprah!!)

Keep on going - you're doing really well!!

Well done on your weight loss :) And pleaseeee don't get discouraged!! I have lost over 6st and somedays I still think I haven't lost anything! It's mind games, your head takes far longer to catch up with weight loss than your body does lol Photos are definitely a good idea as we have a much different image of ourselves than others do. Keep going as you are doing a fab job and I promise it will be worth it :) xx

well your body weight is not just composed of fat, its possible you could be loosing from other areas.

and youre original bmi didnt tell you how much fat you had in your body, bmi is not a measure of fat, its a measure of weight in relation to height, and trust me there is a massive difference between weight and fat.

but still after that, it is suprising you lost 2 stone and noone noticed. if i loose a few pounds, and recently i have, i have, and have been getting, comments from people saying im loosing lol.

but if you really want to see how effective you're 'weight' loss is then you should look up bfp, body fat percentage, it will tell you EXACTLY what you need to know about how 'fat' you are. because it will tell you where and how much.

i would also like to mention, when you loose fat, it wont come of certain areas, your body will decide where it comes of, not you, and it may come of less noticable areas. im not an expert, not even close, but i know its a deep subject, theres more to it, e.g. theres something called vicerol fat which is beneath the skin which needs to be burned of etc.

People that see you every day probably won't notice a change, when I lost weight no one could tell until I saw my OH's nan and she couldn't stop complimenting me lol.

Back